Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County

ati_omni_green_rail_blade.jpg

Caliber: 5.56/ .223
    Capacity: Accepts standard AR mags
    Weight: 6lbs
    Overall Length: 26"

Additions:

Sights: Flip up HK style w/ dual aperture rear sight/ high viz front and rear sights (cheapo Amazon stuff).

Optics: Dagger Defense DDHB 1x Red/ Green Dot Reflex Sight

Mounting Options: Flat top Picatinny rail, Keymod forearm, single point sling mount included

Initial Impressions:

Pros: This is firearm is light. Its built on a polymer upper/ lower receiver w/ metal at key points. The trigger guard is substantially larger than standard ARs, and despite its compact nature wasn't terribly difficult to find a good cheek weld and get a good sight picture.

Cons: Takedown pins were so tight I couldn't get it to hinge open, but it will certainly loosen up with use/ cleaning. Comes with a stabilizing brace (at least the one I got did. Others don't, and in my opinion you'd be better off saving the money and getting a different one) but no sights.

Range Impressions:

Pros: Recoil is crisp but not terrible with a return to sight picture being fairly easy with virtually no "punch" in the shoulder. DD red dot optic did not interfere with iron sight picture and easily cowitnesses. The real stand out for this is a fantastic factory trigger. Light, even trigger pull with a great reset. Blade style brace is comfortable, doesn't wobble, and is not distracting during shooting.

Cons: Brace slipped down the buffer tube after 100 rounds or so, which I was warned about. Not terribly surprising, but I would suggest getting the KAK buffer tube with the Shockwave Blade Brace (it has dimples in the tube to keep slippage from happening). Short barrel definitely drops the kinetic energy the round has compared to a carbine or full sized rifle. Forearm heats up pretty quickly. I suggest gripping the magwell or getting an angled foregrip (vertical grips are not allowed on pistols, which this technically is).

Overall Impressions: I was able to get the windage dialed in, but lacking a front sight tool and forgetting the Allen wrench to adjust the sight I was Kentucky Windaging my shots. The sights I got had me shooting about 8" high at 25 yards (full length of the range). As this firearm is really meant for CQB out to about 100 yards for possible 1 MOA, I plan to zero it at 25 yards and keep it there. The muzzle brake does a pretty decent job for sound reduction to the shooter, but it still produces basketball sized fireballs that might intimidate people who haven't shot rifle caliber "handguns" like this before. Zero malfunctions out of the box and dry.

Overall, I would give it a 3.5 out of 5 out of the box due to the lack of included sights and just okay brace, but it's price makes up for it and gives it a solid 4 out of 5. I got mine shipped, taxed, and transferred for $425 bucks total. If you don't get the model with the included brace, they are as low as $350. I wouldn't want to go fight ISIS with it, but for a home/ urban defense gun, it's pretty damned nice. The only other additional thing I'm adding to this is a hand stop or an angled foregrip. 7 1/2 inches of barrel puts your hand pretty damned close the muzzle, so I would highly suggest something to prevent accidentally sending your fingers flying in multiple directions, and most likely on fire from the muzzle blast. This model also comes in .300 Blackout at no additional cost if that's your thing. Would recommend.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I've got a Frankenbaby with a factory omni lower and a seekins 300 upper. I was trying to run one of my generic lowers on it, but the trigger just couldn't compare. I've heard all of the stuff about the gen 1 ati polymer lowers, but overall I'm impressed with the quality and performance of these newer ones.

Top Bottom