• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Picked up what I believe to e one of the 10,000 Contract Colts built in Hartford and shipped to Argentina with a unique serial number.(this one is 87xx). Has the rampant pony on one side and the Argentinean crest on the other side. Frame matches the slide and barrel where all serial numbers were stamped and everything else looks original. Not sure on grips and the mag is definitely not original.

Anyone have any advice on how to take care of a gun this old with a worn finish and a few spots of rust in the rear slide cuts? I don’t want to find out that Hoppes #9 will strip what’s left or that CLP will do damage. I do have Renaissance Wax that use on many of my firearms but would rather hear from someone with experience.

http://[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/adktqo.jpg[/IMG]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looks good! Your serial number should be on the top, barrel, and magazine if you're lucky. The grips appear aftermarket though. I clean mine with Hoppes and it gets out to shoot off and on, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I don't believe grips on argentines were number to the gun so I would find something that looks very similar to what came on it, or if you're lucky, take offs from somebody else's

Also, without the original magazine, there's not a ton of collectors value to it outside of that it's an Argentine Colt. Working hard to preserve the finish on a gun that's already been part it out doesn't make a ton of sense. Hops and CLP will do nothing to that finish, so Lube away. I really wouldn't necessarily use CLP collector on it unless you somehow found Argentine magazines and grips to go with it.

I would get some new springs for it, and save the old Springs in case somebody wants them if you sell it.

Outside of that, if you bought it for a decent price in might as well just shoot it. They're good old-fashioned post-war Colt, shoot it in the enjoy the craftsmanship!

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Disposable Heart;7880982 Outside of that said:
    Yeah, no serial on the mag unfortunately. Not too concerned about the value just want to do what I can to ensure it’s still around for another 100yrs.

I do plan to shoot it and possibly shoot some 1942 Surplus ball ammo out of it. (Best way to clean the barrel after shooting Corrosive primer ammo?).

I also ordered an Argentine Army leather flap holster from the same time period. I may shoot it in one of Trapper Jim’s 1911 Club matches at Atlanta CC for fun.

Is ir recommended to replace springs or leave everything as it is?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yeah, no serial on the mag unfortunately. Not too concerned about the value just want to do what I can to ensure it’s still around for another 100yrs.

I do plan to shoot it and possibly shoot some 1942 Surplus ball ammo out of it. (Best way to clean the barrel after shooting Corrosive primer ammo?).

I also ordered an Argentine Army leather flap holster from the same time period. I may shoot it in one of Trapper Jim’s 1911 Club matches at Atlanta CC for fun.

Is ir recommended to replace springs or leave everything as it is?

I generally change the springs out on guns that I’ll run. Put the originals in a bag and label it if you think they really are the originals. After over 90 years, there’s a good chance that the springs have been changed already anyway.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Hot soapy water will dissolve the salts or hot water and a water-soluble oil (Balistol) will work well. Clean the other surfaces of the pistol with the same solution. The corrosive salt can get blown into the rest of the pistol. Use your normal cleaning routine of the salts are dissolved.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hot soapy water will dissolve the salts or hot water and a water-soluble oil (Balistol) will work well. Clean the other surfaces of the pistol with the same solution. The corrosive salt can get blown into the rest of the pistol. Use your normal cleaning routine of the salts are dissolved.

Thanks Jinx, I'll have to give it a try as I have plenty

Top Bottom