• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I'm thinking about a new pistol and wondering about the de-cocker and double action on a CZ pistol with a hammer.

My question is whether you can manually pull back the hammer and fire in single action mode after the hammer has been de-cocked. That is, if I chamber a round, de-cock the hammer, and holster the pistol, can I then draw the gun, manually pull back the hammer with my thumb, and fire the first shot with a single action trigger pull?

Also, is this pistol safe to carry with the hammer de-cocked? Does it have some mechanism to prevent discharge if the gun were to be dropped and land on the hammer? Is there some sort of transfer bar safety or half-cock notch?

I hunt and shoot with a lever action and single-shot rifles so cocking a hammer while raising the sights is second nature to me. So, I think I would like a pistol that works the same way. But I also like the idea of being able to fire double-action if I panic and forget to manually cock the hammer.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I'm thinking about a new pistol and wondering about the de-cocker and double action on a CZ pistol with a hammer.

My question is whether you can manually pull back the hammer and fire in single action mode after the hammer has been de-cocked. That is, if I chamber a round, de-cock the hammer, and holster the pistol, can I then draw the gun, manually pull back the hammer with my thumb, and fire the first shot with a single action trigger pull?

Also, is this pistol safe to carry with the hammer de-cocked? Does it have some mechanism to prevent discharge if the gun were to be dropped and land on the hammer? Is there some sort of transfer bar safety or half-cock notch?

I hunt and shoot with a lever action and single-shot rifles so cocking a hammer while raising the sights is second nature to me. So, I think I would like a pistol that works the same way. But I also like the idea of being able to fire double-action if I panic and forget to manually cock the hammer.

The short answer to all of the above is yes. Yes you can cock the hammer back if you want and the B models have a firing pin block.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    ......... So, I think I would like a pistol that works the same way. But I also like the idea of being able to fire double-action if I panic and forget to manually cock the hammer.

I'll comment on doing this in almost any kind of self defense training or shooting. Just don't do it. Most of the time, from what the experts say, if you need to use your pistol in a SD manner, the fewer things you need to do to get the first shot off, the better. There are guys that forget to take the safety off a 1911 after they draw. Others who don't carry with a round in the chamber that don't have time to rack the slide. One of our local Leo's posted an account of a good guy who tried to defend himself with a pistol that didn't have a round in the chamber. He didn't make it.

If you draw your CZ and then cock the hammer, you're losing your firing grip. If you use your support hand to cock it, you may not have that hand available to do so when you need it. It may be pushing a bad guy away.

So my point is this. Train like you will fight/defend yourself. When the adrenaline dump hits, your motor skills go to crap and you revert back to your training. Your CZ is perfectly capable of being fired DA. Practice it and get used to the transition to SA.

Find a good trainer and get some proper instruction. You have no idea how much you don't know.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    The short answer to all of the above is yes. Yes you can cock the hammer back if you want and the B models have a firing pin block.

Cool. I think the firing pin block sounds like a good idea. But I haven't heard of the "B models". I see the model description on the CZ website shows the firing pin block but nothing denotes it as a "B model".

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Cool. I think the firing pin block sounds like a good idea. But I haven't heard of the "B models". I see the model description on the CZ website shows the firing pin block but nothing denotes it as a "B model".

All of the compacts, the standard 75B and the Sp-01 should all be “B” models. The race models may not have the firing pin block.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I see a model 75B on their website. I was looking only at the P07 model which does not have a "B" designation but does say that it has a firing pin block.

Thanks for the clarification.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    In addition to the firing pin block, the decocker drops the hammer to a decock notch and not all the way down onto the firing pin.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I see a model 75B on their website. I was looking only at the P07 model which does not have a "B" designation but does say that it has a firing pin block.

Thanks for the clarification.

The P07 is one of the best carry guns around. Now days, the world is full of good carry guns but some just rise a bit above the masses and the P07 is in that group. My favorite CZ for carry among the non-polymer group is the P01.

Both are fully drop safe and both can be decocked and manually cocked if need be. But, as mentioned up thread, it’s better to just practice that first shot in DA and the following shots in SA. It’s easy to get used to and the DA pull on these is not too bad out of the box. They really shine as the round count rises though.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Gonna check out the P07 tomorrow. Thinking about using it for my main carry gun if it feels good and priced reasonable.
    Nice to see more options out there for lefties

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Gonna check out the P07 tomorrow. Thinking about using it for my main carry gun if it feels good and priced reasonable.
    Nice to see more options out there for lefties

I waitied to find a CC bigger than the subcompacts I’ve had/have w/o going to a full-size and the 75 compact, PCR, P-01 and P-07 were on the list and a P-07 came up for sale here recently and I snapped it up and was glad to get it.

I’m happy with it and I love it like all other CZs I’ve had.
    I will have to vet it out against others I have to see if it’s a keeper.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    When I had my P-07, I spent more time working the decocker to practice heavy trigger shooting than I ever did cocking the hammer manually. And as good as mine were, I can't much imagine how amazing it would have been had I ever gotten Cajun parts into it..

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom