Are new springs necessary in 10mm Glocks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HMMurdock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Greenwood aka G-Wood
    I own a Glock 40, 20 and 29 (all 10mm). I’m planning on getting new barrels so I can shoot straight lead, but should I get new spring weights to ensure reliability with full power loads? Any experience/advice is appreciated.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There shouldn't be any need to change out the recoil spring assembly if the only thing changing is the barrel. Trial and error though before it is used as a carry option.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    10MM works the RSA pretty hard. I don't know how much it's been shot but if you plan on shooting a lot it wouldn't be a bad idea to install a new one and keep the old for a backup.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I’ve seen testing showing higher spring rates increase velocity of g20s with hot loads. Stock springs tend to unlock while pressure is still a bit high.

Try the Wolff 24# setup (it measures more like 22)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I run a 20lb spring in my glock 20c.

As far as I know, 17lbs in the factory spring weight. It still cycles reliably with the light loads, but it helps get the velocity up with the stouter loads as the action opens marginally slower.

Shoot over a chrono with your stock spring and a 20lb spring and you'll notice a not-insignificant difference in velocity. Kind of astonishing there's enough mass in the slide to make that high pressure ammo safe with such a light spring.

In my experiences, there won't be a difference in reliability, just a difference in velocity.

Top Bottom