• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My brother called me up yesterday, and announced out of the blue that he wants to buy a handgun for self-defense.

He is 59 years old, and has never owned a gun in his life.

He is getting ready to move to Maryland of all places. I checked their laws and a concealed carry license is pretty much impossible to obtain, so this would strictly be a nightstand gun. They also have a ban of magazines over 10 rounds. (Looking at Maryland gun laws was a trip; you have to pass a firearms safety course provided by a state approved instructor, then you can apply for a Handgun Qualification License issued by the State Police, including a background check, all just to rent a handgun at a range!)

He wants to do this NOW, so normal advice like shooting different things first is something he doesn't want to do. Yeah, I know.

I, naturally, have my ideas about what to tell him, but would like to hear what INGO has to say.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Well, what can you tell him really? He wants to move to a hostile area and do something that they're quite hostile towards. I think it would be really easy to run afoul of the laws out there.

I normally don't tell people to give up, but that's what I'd tell him. Choices like moving somewhere like that have consequences.

I'd like to be an Astronaut, but I'm completely unqualified and I know it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    First of all ... Ick.

2nd:
    You asked handguns so... a Smith 4" 686 or a 686+ 7 rd.

3rd:
    Shotgun (yes this is a handgun thread)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    He's not going to practice. He's not going to carry it. He thinks he needs a gun for the same reason that someone thinks they need a fire extinguisher. Tell him to buy a 4" revolver, .38 or .357, and a box of good quality defensive ammo. Throw it in the nightstand, where it will collect dust until either he needs it in a life or death situation, or a family member can worry about what to do with it when he is gone.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    He's not going to practice. He's not going to carry it. He thinks he needs a gun for the same reason that someone thinks they need a fire extinguisher. Tell him to buy a 4" revolver, .38 or .357, and a box of good quality defensive ammo. Throw it in the nightstand, where it will collect dust until either he needs it in a life or death situation, or a family member can worry about what to do with it when he is gone.

+1

I know the "don't move there" comments sound kinda salty and there may be a good reason he's moving there but it's not an ideal situation. I'm guessing he isn't after anything special and doesn't intend to break the bank so you might point him toward a Taurus 85 and advise him to at least put a full box through it before the move.

ETA: I'm not sure about the legality there but a Shockwave/Tac 14 filled with mini shells may be just the ticket.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    S&W Model 19 Classic, Combat Magnum. At least he'll have a classy paperweight and if he ever pulls it out in extremis he'll have that Magnum Force vibe.

That being said, it's unlikely someone could pay me enough to move there. Vacationed out E last summer and did everything I could to stay out of the state. If you're out of state and even transport a firearm they will arrest you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st......Why. Best be a stellar reason but to each their own desires.
    2nd....I am down with the 686+ in a 3"-4" model.
    3rd....I love to see green horns handle a shotgun for the 1st time. As long as I am behind them.
    4th....A firearm is not a talisman. To own and not practice with it is just wrong.

JMHO of course.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    +1

I know the "don't move there" comments sound kinda salty and there may be a good reason he's moving there but it's not an ideal situation. I'm guessing he isn't after anything special and doesn't intend to break the bank so you might point him toward a Taurus 85 and advise him to at least put a full box through it before the move.

Please don't use my name in vain. :D

I'm in the 3-4 inch revolver camp too but I'm partial to Ruger. Maybe a GP100 or Security Six in 357. They have the weight to keep the recoil down and are easy to operate. If you want 10 rounds I would probably go with an SR9c.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Perfect Timing!!!

Have him attend the NRA convention this weekend and focus on going to three or four of the seminars. He will get an overview of safety rules and generic law. Probably the most education he will ever get. Then take him into the exhibit hall and let him handle a few guns and narrow his choices. Yes, it would be ideal to shoot some but I am thinking he could get more knowledge and education from the NRA weekend than he will ever seek out on his own. And that many seminars is a deal at $25-$30 bucks.

Have him pick out a really nice 15 round handgun that you have been lusting over. Then when he finds out he cannot take it with him to Maryland over to swap him even up for a cheep but functional shotgun. A Win Win for at least one of you.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Perfect Timing!!!

Have him attend the NRA convention this weekend and focus on going to three or four of the seminars. He will get an overview of safety rules and generic law. Probably the most education he will ever get. Then take him into the exhibit hall and let him handle a few guns and narrow his choices. Yes, it would be ideal to shoot some but I am thinking he could get more knowledge and education from the NRA weekend than he will ever seek out on his own. And that many seminars is a deal at $25-$30 bucks.

Have him pick out a really nice 15 round handgun that you have been lusting over. Then when he finds out he cannot take it with him to Maryland over to swap him even up for a cheep but functional shotgun. A Win Win for at least one of you.

LOL, that right there, the one in purple, is by far the best idea!

Unfortunately, he currently lives in N.C., so taking him to the convention won't work. I am planning to look at things there with him in mind, so the timing is still good, for me at least.

I much appreciate the ideas, and the hate for Maryland was what I expected. The move to Maryland is for a much better job, that is needed largely due to an ex-wife that wiped out his retirement savings. She wasn't my call, and the results aren't my problem.

The first thing I told him was to get a shotgun. He responded that he wanted a handgun. I said a revolver. He said he wanted a 9mm.
    I can, at least, take comfort that the responses you guys have given were pretty much in line with what I was thinking.

Did I mention that this is my OLDER brother who doesn't have a history of listening to his wiser, younger brother?

Given his conditions, etc. I'm leaning towards a S&W Shield. It's simple to operate, the magazine capacity doesn't violate Maryland law, they are reasonably priced, and it won't take up a lot of space while it sits in a drawer. I can also add that it is something I wouldn't mind buying back from him when he needs money again.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    LOL, that right there, the one in purple, is by far the best idea!

Unfortunately, he currently lives in N.C., so taking him to the convention won't work. I am planning to look at things there with him in mind, so the timing is still good, for me at least.

I much appreciate the ideas, and the hate for Maryland was what I expected. The move to Maryland is for a much better job, that is needed largely due to an ex-wife that wiped out his retirement savings. She wasn't my call, and the results aren't my problem.

The first thing I told him was to get a shotgun. He responded that he wanted a handgun. I said a revolver. He said he wanted a 9mm.
    I can, at least, take comfort that the responses you guys have given were pretty much in line with what I was thinking.

Did I mention that this is my OLDER brother who doesn't have a history of listening to his wiser, younger brother?

Given his conditions, etc. I'm leaning towards a S&W Shield. It's simple to operate, the magazine capacity doesn't violate Maryland law, they are reasonably priced, and it won't take up a lot of space while it sits in a drawer. I can also add that it is something I wouldn't mind buying back from him when he needs money again.

A lot of buttons and doo-dads for a non gun guy. :twocents:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, normally I'd go with the "shoot a bunch of different guns", but you said that was not possible.
    So, I'll agree with the heavy 4 inch revolver.
    686/586 is good. I have a model 19 which I really love (S&W).
    Revolvers are good (better) for those that won't practice as much. I STILL recommend practicing. Practicing reloads. Practicing aim. Practicing FTFs.

As for the class... maybe it would help if he could look things up before the class, be a step ahead?
    Is there a good resource online for him to find out about the laws?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Glock 19 or CZ P-10C etc...striker fired, simple to use and nothing to remember to make it go bang except have one in the chamber and pull the trigger.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    First of all a carry permit in Md is not that difficult to acquire.
    He can legally bring in any size magazines he want to Md, You may not transfer mags of more than 10 rounds inside the State of Md.

Top Bottom