• ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Backstory....

I had searched for a great, reliable, reasonably priced handgun for a while. I went from Ruger, to Kahr, and finally settled on Glock. I like glocks because they are reliable. I carry a Glock 19 or 43x.

Fast forward to today. I was looking for a car gun to have when I cannot body carry to places where it's illegal to carry. I wanted something reliable, affordable, and something that I wouldn't lose too much $ on if it happened to get stolen. Let me say I do keep it secure in the vehicle, but anyone with enough willpower can steal anything.

I got an email from rkguns advertising this "Taurus G2c" 12+1 9mm for $179.99 - $25.00 rebate. I thought hmm...there's nothing that even comes close to this price for what it is. I have heard about Taurus' bad wrap w/ reliability.

I did some scientific YouTube research and many G2c owners were really surprised how reliable and accurate the gun was. I decided to buy one.

I was able to take it to the range today and put 200 rounds through it. No issues what so ever.

I broke the gun down and the internals look really similar to the Glock. The takedown process is the same as the glock as well.

If you're looking for a really inexpensive 9mm I couldn't recommend this thing more.

The surprisingly great things about the gun
    • Reliable
    • Dirt cheap
    • Great stippling on the grip, much better than the Glock
    • Manual Safety (this is also in the cons section, though it's very easy to operate and stays firmly in place)
    • Easy takedown process
    • Simple, easy to use 3 dot sight picture
    • Capacity (12+1 capacity with no bigger footprint than a G26)
    • Short audible trigger reset & double strike capability. Trigger resets even if a round isn't fired.
    • Accessory rail if you want to put a light on it, though a good light will probably run you 60-75% of the cost of the gun :D

The Tradeoff (things that suck)

• Trigger pull is obnoxiously long & squishy until you get to the wall, but it breaks pretty well after that and you're able to double strike in case the primer didn't ignite.
    • Magazine release is small and sometimes the mag comes right out, sometimes you have to "help" it out.
    • Manual safety

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    As someone who owned and carried one for a while, it's the taurus you shouldn't depend on. Mine did fine for a while, then it all fell apart. Starting with the rear sight vaporizing after a short day in an iwb holster. Then at around 600 rds it stopped firing on the first sometimes second pull, at least it restrikes right... If it's all you can afford, OK but don't think it's tough as a glock. They require frequent maintenance. Id rather have a trade in sigma for the same money.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Backstory....

I had searched for a great, reliable, reasonably priced handgun for a while. I went from Ruger, to Kahr, and finally settled on Glock. I like glocks because they are reliable. I carry a Glock 19 or 43x.

Fast forward to today. I was looking for a car gun to have when I cannot body carry to places where it's illegal to carry. I wanted something reliable, affordable, and something that I wouldn't lose too much $ on if it happened to get stolen. Let me say I do keep it secure in the vehicle, but anyone with enough willpower can steal anything.

I got an email from rkguns advertising this "Taurus G2c" 12+1 9mm for $179.99 - $25.00 rebate. I thought hmm...there's nothing that even comes close to this price for what it is. I have heard about Taurus' bad wrap w/ reliability.

I did some scientific YouTube research and many G2c owners were really surprised how reliable and accurate the gun was. I decided to buy one.

I was able to take it to the range today and put 200 rounds through it. No issues what so ever.

I broke the gun down and the internals look really similar to the Glock. The takedown process is the same as the glock as well.

If you're looking for a really inexpensive 9mm I couldn't recommend this thing more.

The surprisingly great things about the gun
    • Reliable
    • Dirt cheap
    • Great stippling on the grip, much better than the Glock
    • Manual Safety (this is also in the cons section, though it's very easy to operate and stays firmly in place)
    • Easy takedown process
    • Simple, easy to use 3 dot sight picture
    • Capacity (12+1 capacity with no bigger footprint than a G26)
    • Short audible trigger reset & double strike capability. Trigger resets even if a round isn't fired.
    • Accessory rail if you want to put a light on it, though a good light will probably run you 60-75% of the cost of the gun :D

The Tradeoff (things that suck)

• Trigger pull is obnoxiously long & squishy until you get to the wall, but it breaks pretty well after that and you're able to double strike in case the primer didn't ignite.
    • Magazine release is small and sometimes the mag comes right out, sometimes you have to "help" it out.
    • Manual safety

I have had 3 different Taurus plastic/fantastic pistols. The operative word here is "had".
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Taurus basher, in fact I'm a fan, but not of their polymer lines.

I have tried the
    24/7 OSS/DS
    PT45 long slide
    TCP 380

I could not get used to the loooonnng trigger pull.
    Yes, they break clean, but that distance of travel is a deal breaker for me.

I still have a Taurus 1911 and love it.
    I also have a Raging Bull in .454Casull and I'll never part with it.
    I own several smaller caliber Taurus revolvers, and even carry a total titanium .44spl snubby.

To each his own, and I would be the last person to try to talk someone out of buying a Taurus.
    I just don't get along with the plastic versions.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I would highly recommend the Taurus G2c to that large group of people that take their pistol out and shoot a box of ammo through it 2 to 3 times in their lifetime, and never carry. My experience with plastic Taurus pistols was disappointing. I do have 3 Taurus revolvers that I really like. I still have trouble believing it myself, but prefer the Taurus M85 and M605 to the Ruger SP101 I sold and the S&W 637 I shot.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Let me clarify that I wouldn’t use it as an EDC. My philosophy of use is limited, but it checked the boxes for lite use reliability and not much $ if it gets stolen.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    As someone who owned and carried one for a while, it's the taurus you shouldn't depend on. Mine did fine for a while, then it all fell apart. Starting with the rear sight vaporizing after a short day in an iwb holster. Then at around 600 rds it stopped firing on the first sometimes second pull, at least it restrikes right... If it's all you can afford, OK but don't think it's tough as a glock. They require frequent maintenance. Id rather have a trade in sigma for the same money.

Had one that shot fine the first time or two at the range, but now the trigger won't release the striker unless there's no round chambered. Makes these feeble little clicking noises. That would be great in a self-defense situation...

Sticking with my Walther PPS. A little more $$$, but FAR more dependable!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Taurus backs all their products 100%.

I do not remember about shipping.

Call them. They are very friendly to contact.
    I purchased a used 1911 of theirs . The slid was loose.
    I called and talk to a lady.
    I received it back and was and I am still very happy putting a lot of 45s through it and NO problems NO cost.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Probably a great deal for what you want it for. Most people that carry a pistol probably don't put a box of ammo down the pipe in a year so long term reliability is not an issue for them. I just picked up a TX22 and with 400 rounds through I'm impressed with it and I feel more confident getting hits with it than any 22 pistol I've ever owned. It's the size of a Glock 19 and will fit well enough it a Glock holster for practice so it's a great piece for me.
    Good luck with the G2

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I received it back and was and I am still very happy putting a lot of 45s through it and NO problems NO cost.

Not anymore. After the last class action the new stuff comes with limited warranties

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Probably a great deal for what you want it for. Most people that carry a pistol probably don't put a box of ammo down the pipe in a year so long term reliability is not an issue for them. I just picked up a TX22 and with 400 rounds through I'm impressed with it and I feel more confident getting hits with it than any 22 pistol I've ever owned. It's the size of a Glock 19 and will fit well enough it a Glock holster for practice so it's a great piece for me.
    Good luck with the G2

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Agree 100 on the tx22 and i like their 1911. I tried to like their other polymatics and they are not worth the headache. I'm not a brand hater tho, they do some things well enough.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I also picked up a G2C when Rural King had them on sale with the rebate. We'll see how it holds up long term, but I am impressed initially. Here's what I posted in that thread after the first 250 rounds.

I had a chance to shoot it Monday and I put 250 rounds of FMJ through it with no hiccups. It was a mix of Federal brass and aluminum cased, plus a bunch of Tula steel cased thrown in for good measure. At one point I even tossed all three types into a bag, mixed it up and loaded mags in whatever way I pulled rounds out.

I didn't go out past 10 yards but the gun ran great and groups were more than adequate for self-defense purposes. They did open up a bit towards the end of the session, but I think that was more about me getting tired than anything.

I had no failures of any kind with the exception of the slide failing to lock back on an empty mag a few times. This is due to my thumb riding the slide stop and it's a known grip issue I have with a lot of handguns, not just this one.

I will say the aggressive texturing on the back strap did put a hurting on my palm by the end. It wasn't too bad for the first 200 rounds or so, but my hand was sore and visibly red by the end. That probably wouldn't ever be an issue unless using the gun in an all day pistol class. In that instance a pair of lightweight gloves might be in order.

The other thing I noticed is that the extractor pulls empty casings out with a vengeance. Brass was flying out forcefully and slamming into the partition at the indoor range. It was a consistent throw pattern, but several cases bounced off the wall and came back to hit me in the face. I had 6 or 7 visible powder smudges on my face when I was done.

Next up is to run a couple of mags worth of Federal HSTs through it to ensure those feed well. The CYA Supply Co. holster should be he by the end of the week.

The G2C is sized right in between my LCP and G19, so I do see this moving into the summer carry rotation provided the hollow points cycle properly.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you decide to carry make sure you go through it daily. The rear sight is held in place by the set screw and it will slide out of the dovetail of it backs out. Lint and sweat kill the reliability so maybe it will be an OK summer carry if you don't mind frequent maintenance. They are fun, when they work.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Good luck with the G2

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Interesting on the TX22. I may have to check one out. I've got an M&P Compact 22, as well as an Advantage Arms kit for Glocks, and I like using a 22 trainer that mimics my EDC.

I see that Sig has released a Sig P365 air gun I may have to check out for the same reason.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

I did not make you statement clear.

The shipping I referred to was cost of shipment to Taurus

Top Bottom