• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    My little brother picked himself up a 320 compact and has been having some issues with stove pipes and general FTEs. I can induce this problem by deliberately limp-wristing, but otherwise when shooting normally with several varieties of ammo it has run 100% for me. But, watching him at the range today, he continues to have intermittent (once per magazine, ish) FTEs. He appears to be keeping his strong side wrist straight and gripping the gun, but I am not an instructor.

Has anyone else seen a noticeable break-in period or FTE issues with a 320? I know all recoil-operated guns can fail if robbed of momentum, but his technique doesn't look that bad. Is the 320 uniquely sensitive to bad grip?

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Without knowing his skill level my opinion is probably his grip, I have seen quite a few novice shooters induce that type of malfunction. Some people can look like their holding on but you have to observe the way the gun recoils and if moves a lot that is your answer, have him watch a few YouTube videos on proper grip and that alone should help. If an experienced shooter has no malfunctions that would be confirmation, I have had several 320's and I most say generally very reliable.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The modern grips can cause the thumb(s) to drag on the slide. Slowing down the slide could induce these problems. Firing low powered ammo could also induce these problems. I have a Sig P 320 Compact with close to 2,000 rounds through it. About half were Remington factory 115 gr. FMJ and the rest reloads, some high velocity and some medium loads. So far, no failures of any kind. My Sig P 320/ M 17 did have some break-in issues for the first 50 rounds, but I think it was due from the slide rubbing the dust cover. The crappy thick finish rubs off. After the coating wore off, it functions fine. One failure from my Sig P 365 with over 1,000 rounds and it wasn't the fault of the pistol. Your little brother is doing something wrong IMHO.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I have 2 and no problems. Both have at least 500 round thru them.

Sounds to me like the shooter. Are his thumbs riding the slide? Is it always on the same round IE 1st, 8th, etc? Same magazine or multiple magazines?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Cool. Leaning toward user error. IMO he teacups a little and doesn't have his grip high enough, and isn't gripping tight enough either. Didn't look like he was dragging on the slide at all.

Again, ran 100% for me with several brands of 115 except when I badly limp-wristed. Sounds like he needs to go to class. :stickpoke:

Top Bottom