• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    So I currently have a Colt 1911 Competition series. 45. The blues with blue grips. Bought it new, love it. However, .45 ammo is crazy expensive and I'd like to start doing some competition shooting and really hone my skills. Thus, a 9mm.

I laid away a Glock 34 Gen4 today on the advice of my local shop. It has some upgrades already such as adjustable sights, slide has been cut to reduce weight, etc. I questioned my shop about sticking with the 1911 style vs polymer gun for this endeavor and they recommended the polymer. That's fine because I am interested in having as many different types of firearms as possible anyway.

What do you guys think or suggest? Did I start in the right direction with this modified Glock or should i look i 5o something else.

To add to this equation, I am working on an extreme budget right now so my ideal goal would be starting with a good base and upgrading from there piece by piece.

I am very interested in anyone's feedback on this.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I do not reload and currently don't plan to. Current plan is to just use high end match grade ammo. I actually listen to a podcast that interviews a lot of competition shooters and a good chunk of them don't reload. They just use factory match ammo (usually supplied by their sponsors of course)

Competition will literally be any and everything I can enter with the firearms available to me. I love near Warsaw Indiana and will start with some local small time stuff and move on from there once I start to understand the process and procedure.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    well i'll say this, shooting competition can/does get addictive, and could get expensive shooting "high end match ammo".

last year i ran through 2000+ rds of 45acp (i ran out of ammo in september, and didnt shoot USPSA for a couple months) and well over 4000 rds of 22LR shooting USPSA and steel challenge.

i "limited" myself to matches that were within a 2hr drive from home. i shot at north porter county, SAM, warsaw, michigan city and wildcat valley.

i pay $20-$25/500 for 22lr.
    i had 3000 45acp bullets delivered for approx $200 add another $200 in powder/primers, and i'm "good to go" for the season.
    that same $400 gets me less than 1000 rds of (insert your favorite ammo here)...
    it's true 9mm factory ammo is cheaper than 45acp, but not by that much, especially in smaller quantities. it's all about how many rounds you plan on shooting per year.

:cheers:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I am headed to Warsaw this Saturday for their Steel Challenge match. This is a great match for those new to competition shooting. They shoot 4 stages. Each stage has 5 targets and you shoot each stage 5 times. Targets are pretty close. The best advice is to not try to shoot too fast. It is a lot of fun. The guy that runs the match is very nice and the shooters there are very helpful. If you have time, come out to watch. If you have enough ammo and mags for your 1911, bring it out and shoot. I will be shooting a revolver, because that's what I prefer. Although, I mix it up and shoot different guns.

The Glock 34 would be a good gun for several disciplines. I do not care for Glocks myself because they don't feel good in my hand. Others love them. I suggest shooting as many similar guns so you know what feels good to you. You may even get to try some guns after the match, if time permits. Many have done that before at different matches. Come out if you can and see what it is all about. Bring your 1911, just in case we talk you into shooting.

Thread about the match:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting-sports/468027-warsaw-steel-challenge.html

Web site:
    Warsaw Rifle and Pistol Club

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I hear ya. I'm sure it's something I will do eventually but currently the plan is to shoot the cheapest stuff I can get and use the good stuff during the matches.

If it's something I excel at and decide to continue (which is more likely than not) then I'll start getting into reloading my brass.

Thankfully I've been smart enough to save all my brass thus far.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I appreciate it. I just found out about this match through the forum and will be doing some research to figure out where I'm headed but yes I do plan on coming (with 1911 and 330 rounds in tow)

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As far as steel challenge goes the farthest target from the shooters box is 25 yards and that will be a 18” x 24” plate. Any ammo that runs your gun reliably will work for SC. That game isn’t about absolute accuracy, it’s about a reasonable amount of accuracy in the shortest time possible. If you like steel challenge a used Ruger 22/45 is hard to beat for fun and cost effectiveness, plus it’s controls and grip angle mimic your 1911. And every gun owner should have one anyway:)
    If you’re interested in USPSA the 34 wouldn’t hold you back at all. Don’t forget to include the cost of a holster, mag pouches and extra mags as well. Much like SC, USPSA isn’t about absolute accuracy and I see a lot of guys that don’t reload running Winchester white box.
    Like Whip said go to the match and check things out. Depending on where you go you may need to be ready to draw from a holster. If you’re in the Indianapolis area Friday Night Steel is a very beginner friendly event.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So I currently have a Colt 1911 Competition series. 45. The blues with blue grips. Bought it new, love it. However, .45 ammo is crazy expensive and I'd like to start doing some competition shooting and really hone my skills. Thus, a 9mm.

I laid away a Glock 34 Gen4 today on the advice of my local shop. It has some upgrades already such as adjustable sights, slide has been cut to reduce weight, etc. I questioned my shop about sticking with the 1911 style vs polymer gun for this endeavor and they recommended the polymer. That's fine because I am interested in having as many different types of firearms as possible anyway.

What do you guys think or suggest? Did I start in the right direction with this modified Glock or should i look i 5o something else.

To add to this equation, I am working on an extreme budget right now so my ideal goal would be starting with a good base and upgrading from there piece by piece.

I am very interested in anyone's feedback on this.

At the risk of being 'that guy' if you're on a tight budget and don't know what type of pistol you like and should use, why are you putting a gun on layaway? Shouldn't you find out what you like first, rather than asking the question after making a purchase.

I mean, we've all done it to some extent, and I get the eagerness to get started, but take some time to attend some matches, see what others are shooting, try different guns and go from there. Otherwise you might just be sinking money into a platform you don't like.

Also, as others have mentioned, steel matches are a good entry point and won't break the bank or require a bunch of fancy gear to get going.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Glock 34 is good to go. I don't shoot Glocks but my brother who once thought he would never shoot a Glock got a 34 and ran it competitively for a couple seasons. He doesn't like to admit it, but his scores actually improved from what he was shooting when he got the Glock.

My opinion, but I wouldn't spend money on "match" ammo. Being new at competition, you won't be able to tell the difference between match ammo and whatever is on sale (within reason). Shooting under a timer with people around, moving, odd target angles and positions is much different than standing at a bench punching paper targets X amount of yards out in front of you.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    [FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]"I laid away a Glock 34 Gen4 today on the advice of my local shop. It has some upgrades already such as adjustable sights, slide has been cut to reduce weight, etc. I questioned my shop about sticking with the 1911 style vs polymer gun for this endeavor and they recommended the polymer. That's fine because I am interested in having as many different types of firearms as possible anyway."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The Glock 34 comes standard with a rear adjustable sight. The cut out slide comes from the factory so they can use a G17 recoil spring. It looks to me that shop is more interested in selling a gun more than anything else.

Shoot what you have until you figure out what you really want. Go to a range that rents guns and try as many as you can and find what you like and what feels good.
    [/FONT]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd say if you already like the 1911, and shoot well with it, Look for a 9mm 1911? Lots of guys in IDPA shooting them.

And my unsolicited advice, only layaway if its unique and/or the price unusually low and it just wont be there in several weeks/months when you have the cash. Typically you can get any new gun for standard shop prices, even if you have to wait a few days for your shop to order in a new one. And instead of giving your cash to the shop every week, stick it in a box. The best part is if you change your mind, you arent out any cash because you have been paying yourself. (unlike shops that either keep your cash or only refund a portion if you back out)

Good luck!

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    It really depends on what division you want to shoot. I’ve always liked single stack and limited. I have an XDM 5.25 9mm I bought to have a production setup. It is the plastic frame gun that feels the closest to a 1911 for me. I’ve been considering letting it go to make room for a carry optics gun since I’ve only shot it in two or three matches. I’m coming to Warsaw Saturday. I could bring it and let you see what it feels like.

Have you looked at a CZ shadow? They make a nice setup for 9mm. Glocks are great guns if you decide to go that route. A 9mm 1911 puts you in minor scoring for USPSA. You would be at a disadvantage most of the time. I have a 9mm 2011 that is an awesome gun to shoot IDPA ESP, but it’s a disadvantage for USPSA limited. If you’re just getting started you may not already have a ton of time in training. I would think about the platform you want to stick with long term. Ive found jumping between platforms takes a lot of training investment and time.

587c02db4d4916a12e74b93dd537b7ff.jpg
    4cef12fcf64274d6f1d985212f4883b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    I’ve found reloading doesn’t really mean you spend less on ammo. It just means you get more trigger pulls with your ammo budget. When I started competing I shot about 10,000 rounds of factory ammo before I jumped into reloading. The decision to start reloading is one I’ve never regretted. I would still reload even if factory ammo was the same price. I can tune my ammo to me and my guns and there is just something relaxing about it. If I’ve had a tough day at work I’ll go to the garage and reload a few hundred rounds to get my mind off work.

I would recommend a Dillion 550 to get started. Here are some hot off the press major PF 40 cal 180grn Blue Bullets.

25c60e96a08bd9c42c1cd1e55d587c36.jpg

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I'd say if you already like the 1911, and shoot well with it, Look for a 9mm 1911? Lots of guys in IDPA shooting them.

And my unsolicited advice, only layaway if its unique and/or the price unusually low and it just wont be there in several weeks/months when you have the cash. Typically you can get any new gun for standard shop prices, even if you have to wait a few days for your shop to order in a new one. And instead of giving your cash to the shop every week, stick it in a box. The best part is if you change your mind, you arent out any cash because you have been paying yourself. (unlike shops that either keep your cash or only refund a portion if you back out)

Good luck!

Yeah it was a tough call. I almost went with a Rock Island 1911 9mm with the intent of upgrading it.

I think jumping the gun (pun intended) has more to do with being new-ish to the hobby and wanting to get a few platforms in my home to tinker with. I'm all about aftermarket upgrades and I do cosmetic upgrades myself so it serves a dual purpose of adding a new platform to my personal collection and knowing that I've got one of the most prolific polymer pistols out there to work with, understand, and personalize.

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]"I laid away a Glock 34 Gen4 today on the advice of my local shop. It has some upgrades already such as adjustable sights, slide has been cut to reduce weight, etc. I questioned my shop about sticking with the 1911 style vs polymer gun for this endeavor and they recommended the polymer. That's fine because I am interested in having as many different types of firearms as possible anyway."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The Glock 34 comes standard with a rear adjustable sight. The cut out slide comes from the factory so they can use a G17 recoil spring. It looks to me that shop is more interested in selling a gun more than anything else.

Shoot what you have until you figure out what you really want. Go to a range that rents guns and try as many as you can and find what you like and what feels good.
    [/FONT]

That's my bad. They didn't really tell me these were upgrades outright. They used these as selling points knowing that I specified adjustable sights but I think I'm the one that looks at that as an upgrade because so many pistols I've looked and liked I've passed on for lack of adjustable sights.

At the risk of being 'that guy' if you're on a tight budget and don't know what type of pistol you like and should use, why are you putting a gun on layaway? Shouldn't you find out what you like first, rather than asking the question after making a purchase.

I mean, we've all done it to some extent, and I get the eagerness to get started, but take some time to attend some matches, see what others are shooting, try different guns and go from there. Otherwise you might just be sinking money into a platform you don't like.

Also, as others have mentioned, steel matches are a good entry point and won't break the bank or require a bunch of fancy gear to get going.

I get it but that's really the reason I'm buying it. Regardless of the platform I feel most comfortable with I am interested in becoming proficient in more than 1 and I always planned to start with a 1911 and a move on to polymer guns later. I love the 1911, I mean love it, but I think I can get some more versatility with the polymer guns and, so far, the standard thumbs forward grip on a 1911 hasn't been that comfortable when handling recoil, although that could be remedied with proper training and practice or just by going down to 9mm for less recoil.

I've rented quite a few pistols from my shop to shoot. I honestly don't know what I like best yet but I don't get a lot of time at the range yet (my life is very chaotic taking care of people and keeping up with the projects I have) but I do as much dry fire practice as I can and I can only do that if I own the gun. :cool:

QUOTE=x10;7911246]Why dont you just borrow some guns at some shoots and see what you like[/QUOTE]

Only one reason. Haven't been to a match yet and wasn't really sure how acceptable that was. Ammo is expensive and so far people at the range have been more than willing to let me shoot their stuff but I always feel weird about it, like I'm spending their money =/ I'm sure none of them feel that way though. Everybody has been great and I'm more than willing to pass my gun around. Guess I just gotta get more comfortable with that aspect

It really depends on what division you want to shoot. I’ve always liked single stack and limited. I have an XDM 5.25 9mm I bought to have a production setup. It is the plastic frame gun that feels the closest to a 1911 for me. I’ve been considering letting it go to make room for a carry optics gun since I’ve only shot it in two or three matches. I’m coming to Warsaw Saturday. I could bring it and let you see what it feels like.

Have you looked at a CZ shadow? They make a nice setup for 9mm. Glocks are great guns if you decide to go that route. A 9mm 1911 puts you in minor scoring for USPSA. You would be at a disadvantage most of the time. I have a 9mm 2011 that is an awesome gun to shoot IDPA ESP, but it’s a disadvantage for USPSA limited. If you’re just getting started you may not already have a ton of time in training. I would think about the platform you want to stick with long term. Ive found jumping between platforms takes a lot of training investment and time.

587c02db4d4916a12e74b93dd537b7ff.jpg
    4cef12fcf64274d6f1d985212f4883b9.jpg

Very interested! Monetarily speaking it may not be up my alley right now but definitely interested in having a look and a chat! :cheers:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    There are a million answers here, and none of them are necessarily right or wrong. It is really a personal feel and preference that can only come from trying more than one gun, which it sounds like you have.

I am also one of those guys where the Glock does not feel right in my hand, but there are thousands of shooters competition every day with the Glock, so you will be fine.

Get a good holster, belt and mag pouches, and go have some fun! You don’t know what you don’t know, and the only way to see this is to shoot a bit, then the specific questions will come.

I also agree that steel shooting is the place to start.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the madness!!!

Top Bottom