• ...and so much more!
  • Woohoo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2019
    Muncie
    Hey all, was hoping to get some advice.

Looking to dip my toe into the steel challenge, specifically the .22 LR pistol division.

Any advice on a decent pistol for this? Preferably under $550. I've had my eye on the Ruger Mk IV but didn't know what else was out there.

Thanks in advance!

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    Ruger MK IV's are awesome

Other cool options:
    S&W Victory
    Browning Buckmark
    S&W model 41
    Conversions for 1911, Glock, CZ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Under $550 the popular options are the Ruger MkIV, S&W Victory or Browning Buckmark. All are solid choices, with different pros/cons.

The Taurus TX22 would probably fit as well and has been getting rave reviews from other members.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    SW Victory Performance Center model is like 560 and completely ready to go. TX 22 is 280 which leaves room to buy mags, electronic hearing prot, ammo, and a holster. If you want to possibly shoot optics the tx22 is a bad choice right now. Become a site supporter and check out my mkiii's if you want to deal :)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Me personally I would get a MK4, I like the buckmark models a lot. I just never clean then because it's such a PITA , and normally I an kinda OCD about keeping my firearms clean.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i started shooting rimfire steel last year.
    for a couple months, i looked at, and fondled, quite a few pistols.
    everything from wheelguns to semi auto's. MK IV 22/45 lite worked it way to the top of the list

as usual for me, when i was ready to buy, i couldnt find a lite in stock anywhere in the area.
    i ended up with a MK IV 22/45 tactical.
    once i found it's favorite ammo, it's been problem free.

truglo dot, TK comp, cornerstone safety, and a pair of modified houge palm swell 1911 grips

only other mod i plan on is adding a "gas pedal" (just to keep my thumb from riding on the bolt catch)
    :cheers:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    SW Victory Performance Center model is like 560 and completely ready to go. TX 22 is 280 which leaves room to buy mags, electronic hearing prot, ammo, and a holster. If you want to possibly shoot optics the tx22 is a bad choice right now. Become a site supporter and check out my mkiii's if you want to deal :)

^^THIS^^

However the Ruger MK IV Target OR Browning Buckmark would be fine fine choices as well.

Good Luck

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    I just bought a MK IV lite for steel challenge. Very happy with my purchase.

4ec7ee3ff0608ca61dc5235934f8659c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Find a used mark 3 Ruger I mean cheap as you can, rip out all the guts in the lower (except the safety and mag release) and change them out with volquartsen or tandemkross parts, and call it a day! Buy a lot of ammo and practice practice practice! Expect to improve! Don’t get discouraged if you finish near the bottom of the list, I’ve finished anywhere from 8-43 rd out of 50-60 shooters, OR borrow a gun from a friend, some people have multiple guns (I have 2 pistols and 2 rifles) that shoot challenge with, if I had a friend who wanted to try the match, I’d let them shoot one(in fact I let a friend shoot one of my pistols for 8 months, and he’s got one of my rifles at his house now!) even if your friend only has one gun, you can load mags between your and his strings, I had a fellow shooters gun go t!t$ip I’m a match, I handed him my gun and mags! You’d be amazed at all the people who’ll help you, if you’re in the Evansville area I’d help you out if I can

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    My son and I attended our 1st steel challenge match yesterday. I had the baseline Ruger 22/45 with a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight. You can add a bunch of other doodad's on your gun once you are at a serious level, but I think you can go a long way with just that. The sight was like...$40 or something and the gun was on sale for around $200 several years ago.

You can spend the rest of your money on ammo and magazines.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Ruger 22/45 lite or Buckmark

After owning a Ruger would go Buckmark next time because the serial number is on the lower making barrel swaps easy. Don't know if Ruger changed that with the new.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ruger 22/45 lite or Buckmark

After owning a Ruger would go Buckmark next time because the serial number is on the lower making barrel swaps easy. Don't know if Ruger changed that with the new.

Serial number is on the receiver still. Both solid choices, just different reasons to go for each.

Buckmarks/Victories have barrels that don’t require FfLs, on the other side Rugers will end up with a better trigger. Pick your preferred poison.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I find the lite models transition faster and smother. The heavy models start slower and take a lot of effort to stop on target. Try to rent a heavy gun and a lite one if you can and compare.

If I would purchase a new steel gun today it would be Volquatorsen Black Mamba 4.5 or build one the price is a wash.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have a S&W Victory that I have modified with a lot of Volquartsen and Tandemkross parts. Really amazing. I put a Vortex RDS on it and use it for steel.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    I find the lite models transition faster and smother. The heavy models start slower and take a lot of effort to stop on target. Try to rent a heavy gun and a lite one if you can and compare.

If I would purchase a new steel gun today it would be Volquatorsen Black Mamba 4.5 or build one the price is a wash.

That was the reason I just picked up a MK IV lite.

I was shooting a MK II slab side and you can feel the weight at the end of the barrel when making fast transitions.

I’m still faster with the MK II because I haven’t got used to finding the dot yet. Last weekend was the first match I’ve shot the MK IV in. The gun ran flawlessly. I just had a little trouble with finding the dot.

3f7e0430d29ca24889bb46e3a1b4a030.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The only problem I see with the MK IV lite is Ruger's lack of attention to QC in gluing the barrel sleeve they have to many hiccups as far as I am concerned. I don't like having to buy a backup gun because of sporadic QC.

Buckmarks are nice I have one I bought in 1985 it has the adjustable trigger. I put a Tacsol barrel on it for steel.

I know people that have the S&W and like it I don't like the barrel attachment screw they have.

As far as finding the dot that comes with repetition.

CZ Top

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Vigo Co.
    Woohoo, congratulations on a fine decision- shooting steel is an addictive blast. I can't add much to the convo here as to pistol options, but I always prefer to get whatever gun(s) I'm considering in my hands and see how they feel. One may jump out to you as a good fit. Shoot as many as you can too, that's the real test, and talk with folks at your range and see what and why they use. Whatever you wind up with, enjoy the search- it's fun!

Top Bottom