• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So my dad bought a Hogue slip on grip sleeve for a couple pistols. I've never installed one of these but did read the instructions that basically advised it would be a PITA.
    After verifying the gun was clear and having him witness the gun was clear I got to work.
    I used a hair drier to help make the rubber grip more pliable but even then I had to wrestle that thing into place. In the process I know I swept myself, my dad and probably my mom. I pretty much turned that gun about every direction known to man.
    He has two more Hogue handall sleeves he wants me to install for him. Does anyone have a better way?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Take the slide off the grip maybe?

I remember we used to use some sort of contact cement when putting grips on bikes. It made them slippery to go on and then helped keep them in place. I've never dealt with the House sleeves though.

I have no idea how messy the rubber cement would be on a pistol

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    When I put one on a Shield I hurt my trigger finger pulling on the sleeve so be careful. The finger has hurt for the last 6 months on and off. Anyway what I did was boiled some waster and put the sleeve in it after it had cooled just a bit. I also used Windex to act as a lubricant. Between the two methods I managed to get darned thing on. Good luck

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Maybe spray with a silicon lubricant before you try. Not bad for the rubber, not bad for the pistol and maybe good for you too (as in less frustration). Good luck.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Depending on the texture of the grip you're putting it on, rubbing alcohol might work. That's what I used to use to change the rubber tubing on a wrist rocket slingshot. Acts as a lubricant but then evaporates quickly. If the grip (on the gun) has a rough texture though, I'm not sure how well it would work.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I remember we used to use some sort of contact cement when putting grips on bikes. It made them slippery to go on and then helped keep them in place. I've never dealt with the House sleeves though.

Our bike trick was hair spray. Work quickly before it dries.

Removal of bike grips was done with an air compressor tucked under the edge.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    They also have different flavors....

spEnQTC.png

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For whoever it was that asked, to be honest...no I left the slide on. Tried taking it off but just couldn't get a good handle on the gun with just the frame. It was his Shield.45 and that dang factory grip was taking skin off. I'd get it started, pull too hard and it would slip off the other side. I got finiahed and he hands me another one and say here I got you one for your shield. Kinda like how it felt in my hand but not looking forward to fighting it. May try a combo of silicone spray and a heat gun

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Depending on the texture of the grip you're putting it on, rubbing alcohol might work. That's what I used to use to change the rubber tubing on a wrist rocket slingshot. Acts as a lubricant but then evaporates quickly. If the grip (on the gun) has a rough texture though, I'm not sure how well it would work.

Agreed. I use ISO (rubbing alcohol) on slingshots and bicycle grip. Lubes well to install, dries quickly and doesn't leave any lube or glue (hairspray).

Personally, I dislike sleeves but love Talon rubber grips and you don't have to fight them during installation.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Took some effort to install Hogue "slip on" grips on my Shield 1.0. After getting them on I am really not that thrilled at how they feel. I may eventually trade for the 2.0 as I like that texture or get a Sig P365 later.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depending on the texture and thickness of some slip on grips, you can roll them onto themselves, stretch into the base of the grip, then roll them up onto the grip

Picture like putting a condom on your pistol

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom