Stir the pot... Your preferred subcompact 9mm.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Hello all,

With summer quickly approaching, I'd like to pick up a smaller carry option than my current CZ P-01 (I know, just an excuse to buy a new toy) I know the right answer is to go shoot as many as I can, and choose the one that fits best; however I'd love to hear feedback from the asylum. One criteria is that it must be chambered in 9mm. I could stretch to 9x18 Mak if there's something completely off the radar that I've overlooked (Bulgarian Mak was my first firearm, let alone handgun)

I'm hopefully stopping by the Trading Post tomorrow to check out some of their varied collection. Ideal budget is in the ~$400 range, new or used doesn't concern me. Current frontrunners are the usual suspects- G43, S&W Shield, Kahr CW9, and the Walther PPS M2. Dark horse of the Sig P938, and I'd like to handle a G26 and CZ Rami to see if the subcompact double stack would be an option.

I know the P365 is the current Goldilocks, but coming from an unenjoyable experience with a P320, I'm a bit skeptical.

Anyways, long-winded request for you to share what's worked for you.

Edit: I should note I do have some time behind a S&W 638 that I find enjoyable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Since everything you listed is single stack, I'm assuming you are okay with 6 - 8 rounds on tap.

My preference is IWB carry. In the summer, it is a Walther PPS M2 that is riding in the holster. If dressing constraints do not allow me to IWB carry, such as wearing a tucked shirt (never got the knack of tucking in a shirt with an IWB holster), my Kahr CM9 is in a pocket holster.

Having all that, I'm putting a Sig P365 through the paces and if I do well with it, it will replace the Walther. It is a smidge smaller and has 10+ capacity. Hard to argue with that.

Just shot a G43 this weekend and liked it well enough and shot it well enough. Nothing wrong with it, but there isn't anything special about it either. The haters will say that the fact that it is a Glock is the main thing wrong with it, but each to their own. While I'm not a "fan boy", I do consistently shoot Glocks better than any other brand.

Also have a Shield 40, but don't carry it. Snappy little booger...

Play with as many as you can and see what strikes your fancy. Any of those you listed will serve you well, but only if you are comfortable with it and shoot it well.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've been carrying a walther PPS (paddle release) daily since 2015 and love it dearly.

It has a bit more heft to it than most of the other offerings, making it pleasant to shoot, and allows you to shoot it as well as a full sized gun.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I went back-and-forth between a Glock 19 and a Sig P320 before settling on the P365 for now. The common denominator has always been a Safariland ALS holster. The overall attributes of the P365 are hard to beat, at least for now.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I will throw out a low budget, dark horse option. Check out the Taurus G2C. I picked one up recently just because it was under $175 and I have been impressed with it.

It's small enough to carry easily yet big enough to shoot well. Mine has been 100% reliable after about 600 rounds and has no problems cycling Federal HST hollow points.

I just started carrying it in a CYA Supply Co IWB holster.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Thanks for the responses. Yup, has to be in a caliber I currently keep on hand- I will branch out in the future, but for now 9mm, 9x18, or .38/357 are the only realistic options.

I shoot the S&W 638 reasonably well, and may consider a 642; however I'm still leaning towards a semi-auto for this time around.

I'm ok with only having 6-8 rounds in the weapon. More is obviously better (getting the feeling I'll have to at the very least fondle a P365), but I may struggle with the premium over the other options (particularly with many of the others available on the used market).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

afcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Madison Co.
    May I suggest one more budget option to the excellent suggestions already presented?

A SCCY CPX-2 (CPX-1 includes a manual safety). You usually see them for between $230-$260, and a short Google search will show that they are a quality pistol for the money—the guys down there in FL are doing things right. There’s a ton of positive reviews out there for them. The trigger might take some getting used to, but I had plenty of rounds through mine without an issue.

16oz. with an empty mag, DAO. Not sure if that is what you’re looking for, but worth checking out. Definitely within the budget, which means more $ for ammo :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    lkmsvVu.jpg

P365 is the answer you seek, even ISP adopted it as their back up gun

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For this purpose, I went from Glock 26 (Still have it) to Glock 43 (just sold both of them I had), picked up a Shield 2.0 and bought a holster, but did not press it into carry service (still have it) as I picked up a P365 and that has been as you state the Goldilocks pistol for me for the small carry gun niche. I picked up a second 365 as well as one is none, two is one.

The 365 as a sub compact, is smaller than my Glock 19's or S&W Compact 2.0 (which are my Compact carry guns), but doesn't give up much capacity or shootability.
    It comes with a good set of night sights on it from the factory.

I like it, and would recommend checking it out. Mags cost a bit more than some other options but even then the 12 round mags can be had for a relatively decent price if you look. (I don't see any reason to buy additional 10 rounders).

When you shoot the 365, I strongly suggest shooting it with both the 12 round mag as well as the 10 round mags. The 12 round mag makes a big difference in shootability for me.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    You have so many great carry choices on the market today to choose from? I will say the 43 I have carried often and the 43X but usually the 365 is what I carry on a daily basis.So easy to shoot with extra rounds makes it hard to beat!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I like a S&W shield 1.0 in a Uncle Mike's nylon IWB. No corners on the soft nylon to dig into your body when setting.

I'll start this by saying I carried this way for way too long. I also thought it was comfortable. But with the right holster and belt, you'll be much better off comfort wise. But that's not the biggest issue. Re-holstering into a holster should only need one hand. Having to take the holster off, put the gun in and then clip it back on to your belt is bad. And please for the love of all things good, don't use the muzzle if your pistol to work it back into the holster while it's on your belt. Those holsters also have next to zero retention. Chances are if you're rolling around on the ground or running for all you're worth, that gun won't stay in place. And if you're doing one of the above, chances are that you'll need your pistol too.

My recommendation is start with a good belt. Not a heavy duty Walmart belt. A real gun belt. I and other here really like the Daltech Force Super BioBelt. They run about $60 shipped. Beltman, Galco, 511 and a bunch of others make true gun belts too. The belt is the foundation for comfort. Next will be a good holster. Since you have a Shield, you have lots of good options. Look at Alien Gear, Galco, Crossbreed, Nate Squared (N8 2) or any other of the numerous quality holster makers. Personally, I prefer a kydex, leather hybrid like the Crossbreed or Galco IWB. But you will find one that works best for you.

One thing these have in common is they are not cheap. Yes, you will spend some of your hard earned cash on good equipment. But in the long run, it's worth it. If your rolling around on the ground because some crackhead jumped you and you reach for your gun and it isn't there, I'd bet you'd pay $150 to get out of that situation. And it will really be more comfortable wearing everyday.

Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom