• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    I recently purchased a Gen 5 Glock 34 MOS. The magazines it came with have a baseplate with a curved front and an orange follower. I ordered a couple extra magazines and they came in with the older squared looking baseplate and a black follower. The black follower has a 7 molded into it and the orange one has a 6. The magazine tubes look identical.

The new mags function perfectly in the gun. I’m just being a bit picking trying to make them match. Does anyone know the difference when ordering the magazines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    14dcbe5c848570859217bd8627e23564.jpg
    18f7a237ea450d0c590fa6e4ce05be2e.jpg
    f019d106b3c4b11bc712323836d915f8.jpg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Orange followers are latest Gen 5 mags, black followers are Gen 4.. Gen 4s will work in anything but the Gen 5s don't like a few of the earlier guns. Case in point the 19x because of the extension on the front of the grip.. Either should work fine in your 34.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    I thought Gen 4 mags had a small square just above the mag catch.

https://images.app.goo.gl/XMvzAhz41QjdCdMYA

They work fine with no issues and would work in a 19x. I would just like to have all of mags match so I can identify them easier at a match. I'm looking to buy the ones that are not universal like the ones that came with the 34.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    You can buy black followers and standard base plates to make the ones you have match if you are interested in cosmetics. The orange followers make it a little easier to see how many rounds are in the mag.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    One thing I noticed. I can see the orange follower on an empty mag when I look between the slide and frame, in front of the slide release. Not the case with the black ones.
    I have curved base orange and a few flat base black for a g17 gen 5, but all the followers are stamped with a 6 and are the same except for color. You can buy black gen 5 followers stamped with a 6. The g17 gen 4 and gen 5 are totally different animals with almost no interchangeable parts. Not sure about the 34.

i2ux7AK.jpg

OfPBOnL.jpg

2xK1yFc.jpg

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Just got my Glock Armorer recert as well as their Operator course. (Good course by the way). All the gen 1-3 can interchange most "most parts. There are 27 slight internal changes between Gen 4 and Gen 5. Where most of the parts will not interchange.

As far as Magazines with the exception of the 19X has to use Gen 4 or earlier because of the finger extension (specified due to gloved use as not to get it pinched)

You can use any Gen 1,2,3,4 or 5 in any Gen (except 19X can't use Gen 5 due to the finger extension on frame) the ONLY issue is if you swap the magazine release to set it up for left hands operation with a Gen 4 or 5 the gen 1-3 mags will not work as they do not have the ambi cuts in the front of their mags for the either or of the mag release button.

Other than the gen 4 or 5 difference with a 19X ou should be good as all Glock mags now come with the ambi mag release cuts. Unless you catch a sale of very old police trade in mags I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I thought Gen 4 mags had a small square just above the mag catch.

https://images.app.goo.gl/XMvzAhz41QjdCdMYA

They work fine with no issues and would work in a 19x. I would just like to have all of mags match so I can identify them easier at a match. I'm looking to buy the ones that are not universal like the ones that came with the 34.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not a fashion show. If the mags work, use them.

There are plenty of ways to mark your mags to be able to ID which are yours. Tape, stickers, marker, nail polish, etc.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Just got my Glock Armorer recert as well as their Operator course. (Good course by the way). All the gen 1-3 can interchange most "most parts. There are 27 slight internal changes between Gen 4 and Gen 5. Where most of the parts will not interchange.

As far as Magazines with the exception of the 19X has to use Gen 4 or earlier because of the finger extension (specified due to gloved use as not to get it pinched)

You can use any Gen 1,2,3,4 or 5 in any Gen (except 19X can't use Gen 5 due to the finger extension on frame) the ONLY issue is if you swap the magazine release to set it up for left hands operation with a Gen 4 or 5 the gen 1-3 mags will not work as they do not have the ambi cuts in the front of their mags for the either or of the mag release button.

Other than the gen 4 or 5 difference with a 19X ou should be good as all Glock mags now come with the ambi mag release cuts. Unless you catch a sale of very old police trade in mags I wouldn't worry.

:ingo:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Nail polish? :gheyhi:

:):

Ok, model paint. Better?

I used my wife's red nail polish to put my initials on some of my AR mags because it was there and I didn't have to spend money to go out and buy paint.

If you have it laying around the house, why not use it?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Ok, model paint. Better?

I used my wife's red nail polish to put my initials on some of my AR mags because it was there and I didn't have to spend money to go out and buy paint.

If you have it laying around the house, why not use it?

I'm not judging. :laugh:

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    It's not a fashion show. If the mags work, use them.

There are plenty of ways to mark your mags to be able to ID which are yours. Tape, stickers, marker, nail polish, etc.

Obviously not looking for a fashion show if buying a Glock.

I’ve used all of those methods to identify the individual mag except the nail polish. At sometime those wear off. At big matches 30 or 40 could be shooting production with identical mags. My Limited division mags are easy to identify. They all have Dawson basepads, grams followers, and I tuned the mags and drilled them for witness holes. My single stack mags are easy to spot because they are Tripp mags with Dawson basepads that match up to my Dawson no gap mag well.

I really like that the baseplates and orange followers are easy to spot. I like this better than buying aftermarket baseplates or depending on only one way to identify them.

I was just hoping someone has purchased additional mags and had the right part number or link. I was told I was getting them when these were ordered. I may just use this as an excuse to buy a Glock 17 MOS as a backup LOL.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    One thing I noticed. I can see the orange follower on an empty mag when I look between the slide and frame, in front of the slide release. Not the case with the black ones.
    I have curved base orange and a few flat base black for a g17 gen 5, but all the followers are stamped with a 6 and are the same except for color. You can buy black gen 5 followers stamped with a 6. The g17 gen 4 and gen 5 are totally different animals with almost no interchangeable parts. Not sure about the 34.

i2ux7AK.jpg

OfPBOnL.jpg

2xK1yFc.jpg

Interesting to know some of the black followers have a 6. That’s good info.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne

I’m assuming they are shipping them like what I received to make them be universal and work in the 19x.

Did they say anything about the number on the followers? I was told by a reputable gunsmith this is a version number of the follower.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I would just like to have all of mags match so I can identify them easier at a match.

Get a paint pen and put your initials on the mag (baseplate, or on the back of the mag at the bottom, that's where I mark mine). Number each mag, also, so if one stops working it can be identified.

You won't be the only kid in school w/ the latest mags for long. If this is your real motivation, then buying all latest gen mags is the wrong solution.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I’ve used all of those methods to identify the individual mag except the nail polish. At sometime those wear off. At big matches 30 or 40 could be shooting production with identical mags.

Initials and mag number on the bottom backside of the glock mag body with a paint pen has held up for YEARS for me, incl my dryfire mags (which I ID w/ a different color paint).

-rvb

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I bought a gen 5 G-45 recently and got a couple spare mags the same as issued orange and curved, however like already mentioned the flat base plates magazines work also, and I put Glock part #7151 (+) extensions on a couple, just like the 19x have. So in ordering I would find or ask for ones specific to my Glock but yes most gens work in most of them.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I’m assuming they are shipping them like what I received to make them be universal and work in the 19x.

Did they say anything about the number on the followers? I was told by a reputable gunsmith this is a version number of the follower.

He mentioned something about different numbers on the followers but it doesn't really matter. I believe the number only identifies the black from the orange but I would have to dig in my manual. Several folks put the orange followers in their gen 4 mags.

Like I mentioned earlier the only show stopper for the magazines is the gen 1-3 will not work in a left handed mag release set up which is a Gen 4-5 feature so all mags since 2009 when the Gen 4 came out have the ambi cuts for the ambi mag release set up. So all mages now even Gen 3 new Glocks (unless it's been NIB for a decade have the new gen 4 ambi mag release cuts.

Last edited:

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    Get a paint pen and put your initials on the mag (baseplate, or on the back of the mag at the bottom, that's where I mark mine). Number each mag, also, so if one stops working it can be identified.

You won't be the only kid in school w/ the latest mags for long. If this is your real motivation, then buying all latest gen mags is the wrong solution.

-rvb

I get it. I shouldn’t be concerned with details if it functions. It’s me just being OCD. I was just hoping someone was as crazy as me and would know how to source them. Not concerned with having to have the latest. I just liked the orange follower. Understanding the version numbers was an attempt to understand how to source them.

To be fair some of the ones I was referring to wearing off have 10 years of use on them. Do you remember what brand paint marker you used? I’ll try the same one since you have had success.

I hope the weather wasn’t too bad Sunday. I’m going to try to get back out to the match next Month.

Top Bottom