• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Reminds me of when the use of armor was no longer 'effective' due to musketry. The common soldier went to war in cotton yet the nobles continued to wear the 'ineffective' armor. Armor was proof against specific class of weapons when sold (ergo the proof mark) but it was expensive. Peasants were more expendable than good suits of armor. Follow the money I suppose.

Knock down power is knock down power I don't care what platform you like. I like his choice, he should allow his troops that same choice.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in WW2 they issues Colt 1903 autos to general officers. I don't know when that practice stopped.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    From what I've read of Afghanistan, every military member should be carrying a sidearm, particularly "inside the wire."

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm no expert, isn't that a fairly high end 1911? Doesn't look like a stock 1911 but then again he likely isn't just grabbing one from the enlisted men stock.

EDIT: I'm guilty of typical INGO behavior. Went back and actually read the article. It does talk about it supposedly being "his issued sidearm" but admits it doesn't appear to be, unless it was issued to him while he was in Delta.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    From what I've read of Afghanistan, every military member should be carrying a sidearm, particularly "inside the wire."

^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^^ While deployed there in 2010 we carried our Beretta's w/ full magazines 24/7 even inside the wire. Still have my shoulder and leg holster for it. Wish I had could have bought my Beretta if for nothing else sentimental reasons.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    General Officers can set there own “uniform” and carry what they want just like Patton most buy the issued pistol upon retirement.

In 2009 I was sent to Afghanistan with four M9’s the general of AMC and her entourage did not bring pistols with them. You had to have a loaded firearm as soon as you were off the ramp even if you were a general.

I could take you guys to a Arms Room in Kuwait walk in and ask for a SKS, 12 inch 870, Browning Hi Power, and a M21 they wouldn’t bat a eye. They had anything you could want and could fix and modify what you wanted.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A former Delta guy is going to have a lot of experience training with and probably using a 1911. The general is exhibiting good judgement carrying the sidearm with which he his best accustomed. In a perfect world, all would have the option of choosing their sidearm, but logistics and support would be . . . complicated.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Although I retired from active duty (US ARMY) in mid 1996, I was able to find and carry an issued 1911A1 instead of a Beretta during my later years deployments.

I qualified with both, but always carried a G.I. .45, I used them but never had to shoot anything with one. Oh I had one out and about many times, only had to shoot folks with a machine gun or rifle.

I don't think you could do that nowadays.

Unless you were a General.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Back in the day, the 1911a1 was to be carried with a loaded magazine, no round in the chamber and the hammer down. Looks like the general is carrying either condition 0 or 1. As has been said, the rules don't apply to general officers. Rank has its privileges.

Top Bottom