• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Last week, some Yahoo elsewhere on the internet made a BOLD claim. A claim I just can't abide. I quote:
    "Most people would say that currently the best revolver on the market is the"... 686+ 3", round butt.
    "the Best"
    "BEST"! ??
    "THE BEST"!! ??
    This is ridiculous, i thought. Obscene! Blasphemy! I Scoff in your direction!
    This oaf.
    This Yokel!
    How dare he?!

As luck would have it, the exact gun in question showed up in the local Fer Sales.
    So, I bought it!
    I can't have some boor on the internet claiming that this thing is the "best revolver on the market"!

I picked it up Wednesday. The seller included factory grips and an extra set.

Instantly, I loved the balance and the way the wood grips settled into my palm. It pointed like a finger. The action was solid, smooth, but the unfluted cylinder rotated with a heavy clunk.

This was an interesting development. What if this really Was a great gun? Eh, no big deal, it'll shoot like a j-frame, hit some nerves but not a barn-side, and I'll hate it just fine.

Today was the day. I went to the range.
    This thing shoots fantastic.
    It hits where-ever it's pointed.
    It sits in the hand perfectly.
    It blows a beautiful fireball with magnums.
    Thank goodness it holds 7 rounds instead of a proper Six...

This thing kind of is a fantastic wheelgun. It even got the lady-friend to say “I like that one!”, which she has never said about a wheelgun before. (she's weird.)

It's still definitely NOT the best revolver on the market today, but unfortunately, I'm not real sure what's better....

Pictured with a 986:
    48026743468_72e4e7ddb7_k.jpg

And with a 329:
    48024427516_32eee08bdb_z.jpg

SlowPlay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well.......if anybody can ruin the "best", I'm sure you can. Without even trying. But don't forget about me on the 329. Saw it listed, but just couldn't pull the trigger. See you in July, weather permitting.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Well.......if anybody can ruin the "best", I'm sure you can. Without even trying. But don't forget about me on the 329. Saw it listed, but just couldn't pull the trigger. See you in July, weather permitting.

Forget about you? I just bought it this week! The 986 too. It was a busy week....
    It's true, I can ruin many-a-good-thing.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok Guys, you simply cannot beat a 686-3 6 shot with 6” barrel! Especially one that was worked and tuned by Denny Reichard such as one in my collection. Rest In Peace Denny knowing your revolvers are among the very best. Peace. Out.

Charleybravo56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Nashville
    76BC6F05-8CD0-4723-AD4B-3956DFF70C74.jpg
    As shared in the show and tell earlier.
    My wife bought this for my birthday in 1978. The action has been jeweled and it’s a go to for sure.
    To me it’s the best.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    This is hard to argue with on just about any level. I had a 3" 686+, and this may be the one gun I've ever let go of that I really should have kept. But I did so for what I thought (and mostly still think) was good reason. The S&W K-Frame has always fit my hand better than the slightly larger L-Frame, and I've become quite a fan of this little guy... the new model 66 in 2.75":

gGJdPyi.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

But the beefier 686+ handled really well, pointed naturally, was plenty accurate, and seemed like it could take a beating with any ammo I ever ran through it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    This is hard to argue with on just about any level. I had a 3" 686+, and this may be the one gun I've ever let go of that I really should have kept. But I did so for what I thought (and mostly still think) was good reason. The S&W K-Frame has always fit my hand better than the slightly larger L-Frame, and I've become quite a fan of this little guy... the new model 66 in 2.75":

gGJdPyi.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

But the beefier 686+ handled really well, pointed naturally, was plenty accurate, and seemed like it could take a beating with any ammo I ever ran through it.

Agreed on the K/L handfitting situation. The slightly larger frame, combined with the weight of the heavy barrel, is the reason I let my 686 go and kept a couple of M19's. I bought that 686 new and have sold it twice. The first time, it found its way back to me. This time I think it's gone for good, but I'm OK with that.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Agreed on the K/L handfitting situation. The slightly larger frame, combined with the weight of the heavy barrel, is the reason I let my 686 go and kept a couple of M19's. I bought that 686 new and have sold it twice. The first time, it found its way back to me. This time I think it's gone for good, but I'm OK with that.
    Snap!! Hope you've been well!

IMHO, I'm not sure there's ever been a better S&W revolver (for me) than the Model 19. I've been kind of hoping S&W would release a new model 19 in the same 2.75" configuration they did with the new model 66. I have a 4" Model 19-5 (1987 manufacture date) that's in shooter grade condition I was able to pick up from a fellow INGO member. It operates buttery smooth, and is as accurate as any revolver I've ever had. So I'm with you on the M19, it's still a brilliant and timeless do-it-all revolver.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Snap!! Hope you've been well!

Been doing fine, thanks! Hope you have also.

IMHO, I'm not sure there's ever been a better S&W revolver (for me) than the Model 19. I've been kind of hoping S&W would release a new model 19 in the same 2.75" configuration they did with the new model 66. I have a 4" Model 19-5 (1987 manufacture date) that's in shooter grade condition I was able to pick up from a fellow INGO member. It operates buttery smooth, and is as accurate as any revolver I've ever had. So I'm with you on the M19, it's still a brilliant and timeless do-it-all revolver.

I have an old police trade-in model 64 that is my best shooter. Paid $299 for it and it's the one I would never give up.

That being said, this 19-8 has now taken the 686's place as my nightstand gun. Picked her up with the original box. Dressed her up with the purty grips and she's good to go. I like the fact that this one does not have the serrated trigger like my other two. Did 19-8's come original with the smooth trigger?

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I am not sure I can say the 686 is the best revo ever, but I will happily say its by far the best affordable wheel gun out there. At the $600-$750 range I simply can not think of a finer revolver... or at least one I would choose over it. I have several higher end guns that I would take over it but, nothing in the price point that the 686 comes in at.

Even guns like the Python simply do not match up in terms of the action... The ability to stage a 686 and shoot it accurately in DA mode blows away the Python. Is a Python barrel more accurate out of a rest, I would say so... but off hand, I dont know many "revolver guys" who would take the Colt action over the Smith.

Overall this is an interesting post... esp because I have been looking for another 686... this may have been just what I needed to go ahead and pull the trigger on one:)

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    I dont know many "revolver guys" who would take the Colt action over the Smith.

I would for sure...

​So I could sell it and buy 2 or 3 nice 686's....

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm not convinced that there's an absolute 'best' revolver out there as fit, feel, performance is often in the eye of the beholder...
    But I will say, those are some nice-looking S&W revolvers pictured...and I'm a Ruger guy! Congrats to the OP on his new 686-3!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

gGJdPyi.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Thing of beauty...

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    riginally Posted by*Hopper*

Thing of beauty...

Indeed. That heavy bbl looks like it might absorb some heavy loaded punishment. Better than in my hand, anyway. You folks may have started something.

Top Bottom