Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

"The best revolver on the market"!?!?

Last week, some Yahoo elsewhere on the internet made a BOLD claim. A claim I just can't abide. I quote:
    "Most people would say that currently the best revolver on the market is the"... 686+ 3", round butt.
    "the Best"
    "BEST"! ??
    "THE BEST"!! ??
    This is ridiculous, i thought. Obscene! Blasphemy! I Scoff in your direction!
    This oaf.
    This Yokel!
    How dare he?!

As luck would have it, the exact gun in question showed up in the local Fer Sales.
    So, I bought it!
    I can't have some boor on the internet claiming that this thing is the "best revolver on the market"!

I picked it up Wednesday. The seller included factory grips and an extra set.

Instantly, I loved the balance and the way the wood grips settled into my palm. It pointed like a finger. The action was solid, smooth, but the unfluted cylinder rotated with a heavy clunk.

This was an interesting development. What if this really Was a great gun? Eh, no big deal, it'll shoot like a j-frame, hit some nerves but not a barn-side, and I'll hate it just fine.

Today was the day. I went to the range.
    This thing shoots fantastic.
    It hits where-ever it's pointed.
    It sits in the hand perfectly.
    It blows a beautiful fireball with magnums.
    Thank goodness it holds 7 rounds instead of a proper Six...

This thing kind of is a fantastic wheelgun. It even got the lady-friend to say I like that one!, which she has never said about a wheelgun before. (she's weird.)

It's still definitely NOT the best revolver on the market today, but unfortunately, I'm not real sure what's better....

Pictured with a 986:

And with a 329:
    Read. Think. Post.
    Please.

User Info Menu

Nice group of wheel guns.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Plinker

User Info Menu

Well.......if anybody can ruin the "best", I'm sure you can. Without even trying. But don't forget about me on the 329. Saw it listed, but just couldn't pull the trigger. See you in July, weather permitting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPlay View Post
    Well.......if anybody can ruin the "best", I'm sure you can. Without even trying. But don't forget about me on the 329. Saw it listed, but just couldn't pull the trigger. See you in July, weather permitting.
    Forget about you? I just bought it this week! The 986 too. It was a busy week....
    It's true, I can ruin many-a-good-thing.
    Read. Think. Post.
    Please.

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

Bad news.

You may have to capitulate.

I love the old 686s, and I really like 3 inchers.
    To throw an extra round into the mix might just be too much.
    I hear They call him Flipper. Yes... yes, I'm serious.

User Info Menu

Ok Guys, you simply cannot beat a 686-3 6 shot with 6 barrel! Especially one that was worked and tuned by Denny Reichard such as one in my collection. Rest In Peace Denny knowing your revolvers are among the very best. Peace. Out.
    If you always do what you've always done you will only get what you've always gotten.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Funny thing....I thought you were out of the 986 business. I saving mine for you.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Who makes the 686?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spankytheclown View Post
    Who makes the 686?
    Smith and Wesson. I just sold mine a couple of days ago.

(But I kept the purty grips and put them on one of my model 19's.)

Quote Originally Posted by 04FXSTS View Post
    If God created anything better than dogs and S&W revolvers he kept it for his self.

Plinker

User Info Menu

76BC6F05-8CD0-4723-AD4B-3956DFF70C74.jpg
    As shared in the show and tell earlier.
    My wife bought this for my birthday in 1978. The action has been jeweled and its a go to for sure.
    To me its the best.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast