• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Would like to get one. Would prefer Made in the U S. As much as I can not stand the Politics of Springfield Armory. I am having a hard time not picking up one of the Defender 1911's

Any other suggestions?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ll second the A2 recommendation. Also, if you can find one used, the CZ 1911A1 it a very good mil-spec 1911. It’s built by Dan Wesson and is Dan Wesson quality.

A basic Colt can be had for a reasonable sum but the quality is hit and miss. Both of my Colts have needed some parts to bring them up my expectations to get rid of stuff like a sloppy barrel bushing fit, plastic MSH and poorly fit sear. One has a very loose slide fit but if you are just looking for a fun shooter, they are worth considering. IIRC, I paid about $690 for the full size 9mm I bought.

For what it’s worth though, the CZ 1911 cost about $50 more but is a better gun by every single measure.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My love for Springfield has come to a sad end. I will never again push the brand.
    That said buying a used one will in no way impact the company finances. There are so many well kept and low round count MilSpecs floating around out there. And the market is soft.

But I to say DW.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Would like to get one. Would prefer Made in the U S. As much as I can not stand the Politics of Springfield Armory. I am having a hard time not picking up one of the Defender 1911's

Any other suggestions?

If by Mil-Spec you mean a 1911 that looks GI then the Defenders a pretty good option. Others have been recommending the DW A2 which is nice but it is no way near a GI configuration, it has novak style sights, extended thumb safety, beavertail, and some kind of wonky looking hammer. They are good values for the money though.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Seen a "Mil-Spec" (Even says it on the slide) Springfield (New) at Jerry's Gun Shop in Rensselaer yesterday for Rock Island Price. Around $ 450.oo ......

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gun Shop Guy says they dropped their prices lately. What are they doing to anger everyone???

They had to drop them. The market is not favoring them. The politics they have played is not faring well for them. The CS I and a few others have received has not been the top shelf treatment of old.

I am on record as a huge fan of the marque. Until now. Never ever ever will I buy another new Springer offering of any type. Used possibly. Used does zip nada for the corporate bottom line.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Forget Springfield Armory because they seem lost and out of touch with the market. DW and the CZ 1911 are quite nice in their price range. I would agree that a Colt 1911 Government model is the "original" but lately Colt is hit or miss. But you might be able to find a nice used Colt Gold Cup for a decent price and have a nice pistol. Best of Luck!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Forget Springfield Armory because they seem lost and out of touch with the market. DW and the CZ 1911 are quite nice in their price range. I would agree that a Colt 1911 Government model is the "original" but lately Colt is hit or miss. But you might be able to find a nice used Colt Gold Cup for a decent price and have a nice pistol. Best of Luck!

Truth here.

I have discovered the Standard Mfg company They put a very serious 1911 on the market that fit/finish rival and near exceeds the DW offerings I have seen. Price point is in line with the DW and my Blued full size is just exquisite. Serious shooter.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Let it sit. Springfield hasn't come close to understanding what American shooters think of their recent hijinks. The market needs to make an example of them.
    Why? Unless the dealer has them on a “floor plan” with terms, SA already has the $$. Now I’d agree if said dealer had it on 30-60-90 day terms.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Out of all, I’d pick the NRM 70 Series Colt. Recent QC problems aside, I’ve NEVER seen one of those that wasn’t near perfect in fit and finish. The last one I had, some years ago was easily a 1 to 1-1/2” pistol at 25 yards right out of the box. Probably should not have traded that one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Out of all, I’d pick the NRM 70 Series Colt. Recent QC problems aside, I’ve NEVER seen one of those that wasn’t near perfect in fit and finish. The last one I had, some years ago was easily a 1 to 1-1/2” pistol at 25 yards right out of the box. Probably should not have traded that one.

I am marking this down. The day my boy suggested a 1911.........:cool:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Gun Shop Guy says they dropped their prices lately. What are they doing to anger everyone???

Yes, please elaborate. I too have not heard of what Springfield has been doing but would like to. Thanks.

I didn't know what they were talking about either, so I googled it and used the search function, and this is all of what I could find, so I assume this must be it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d-armory-sold-out-our-neighbors-illinois.html

https://gunstoday.com/why-is-everyone-boycotting-springfield-armory/

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/...k-river-arms-oppose-gun-dealer-licensing-act/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/s...contributions-to-anti-gun-rights-politicians/

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I am not reading the links but yes, they stepped in a huge pile of Feces politically in Ill. a while back. Did not set well with so many people.
    I continued to somewhat support the Marque as to the 1911 offerings even after that but it left a stain on the name.
    Recently I have had a bad experience with a real condescending smart ass at the customer service branch at Springer. He really was an ass.
    Sent the Brand New TRP back to them. When it came back the remarks were as condescending as the dip weed I originally spoke with. The invoice did not truly reflect what they did to my pistol and it was not fixed. Another round of Bravo Sierra, several e-mails to higher ups and the same responses.

So we fixed the damn thing ourselves and yes now you can actually hit what you are aiming at. The CS is in the crapper.

Screw Springfield.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

I bought one of the new 'Series 70' guns about a year ago as the basis for a retro custom but out of the box it worked well and was very accurate, slide/frame/bbl fit was nice as well. I think aside from the guns of the 50's-60's Colt right now is building some of their best guns, prices are down right now as well.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/legislation-2nd-amendment/436055-rock-river-springfield-armory-sold-out-our-neighbors-illinois.html

Correct. Instead of being a gun company, and using their (and Rock River's) influence to derail such B.S. legislation, they played political games and traded support for a licensing scheme which would severely restrict and even drive out small manufacturers in return for an exemption from said legislation.
    THEN. They attempted to deny it.
    Once busted on the falsehood of their denial claims they grudgingly sort of came clean.
    Then, business as usual.
    The market hasn't been kind to them since then, and they've dug their own hole deeper by severely slacking on quality and customer service.
    Until and unless they make a sea change in their attitude, any purchases I might have been contemplating will be on indefinite hold.
    They need us. We don't need them.
    They don't understand that yet.

Top Bottom