Favorite .22lr ammo for suppressed pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Most regular bulk 22lr will stay subsonic in a pistol.

Quiets are good for anything except a semi-auto. They will not cycle a semi-auto. Really, they are kind of a waste with a suppressor though, because they are really quiet without one. I've mainly used them in a cricket with smaller kids so they could shoot without hearing protection.

For rifles, I will use subsonic ammo. CCI Standard Velocity is one of the best.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    For my pistol I use CCI mini mags, but its a little finnicky anyway. My 10/22 I've used everything with no issues.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Do mini-mags stay subsonic?

I think they can, close enough that it depends on the barrel length, temperature, etc. I definitely can hear a difference compared to subsonic or SV but it does not always "crack". I am assuming pistol only for the above. I find CCI Standard Velocity is really good all around. It is reliable, consistent and can be had for $250 a case or $0.05/round. IIRC the velocity is 1,065 fps versus 1,050 for the CCI Subsonic.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Most regular bulk 22lr will stay subsonic in a pistol.

Quiets are good for anything except a semi-auto. They will not cycle a semi-auto. Really, they are kind of a waste with a suppressor though, because they are really quiet without one. I've mainly used them in a cricket with smaller kids so they could shoot without hearing protection.

For rifles, I will use subsonic ammo. CCI Standard Velocity is one of the best.

^^^^^^^^
    All 22lr ammo is subsonic in pistol length. Can't remember at what length it isn't, but it's on youtube somewhere. Just get a (relatively) clean ammo especially if you can't clean your can. I like CCI the best myself. Federal is also good for me.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    ^^^^^^^^
    All 22lr ammo is subsonic in pistol length. Can't remember at what length it isn't, but it's on youtube somewhere. Just get a (relatively) clean ammo especially if you can't clean your can. I like CCI the best myself. Federal is also good for me.

Be careful bandying words like "all" with the incredible variety of .22 ammo and guns.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Any CCI that states 1050fps or less is what I use.

Usually marked as "Standard Velocity."

I have used the CCI quiet and other sub-sonic...sounds the same to me as the <1050fps ammo

Top Bottom