• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm fond of old pocket guns, here is a Merwin Hulbert revolver from between 1883 and 1890. Dates of manufacture records are sketchy due to a factory fire. This one is one of the later double actions in 38 SW. Merwin Hulbert dodged around existing patents with a unique action. It loads like a Colt through a gate but ejection is by pulling and twisting the front of the frame and all the empties fall out. This one referred to as the pocket model has a folding hammer spur to avoid snags in your pocket.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Very cool pistol Leadeye, as always. Some day, I'm going to have to pay you for the education you given me. :D

arctic427

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Indy
    You should look at there large frame stuff to it functions the same way but was in 44. There was someone several years back trying to reproduce these but it didnt go anywhere.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You should look at there large frame stuff to it functions the same way but was in 44. There was someone several years back trying to reproduce these but it didnt go anywhere.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Negotiating for one of the 44-40s, maybe.:spend:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    This is from their 1887 catalog, for your gun.. I can not find the up charge getting it nickled like that.. but a good reference to the original cost of the pistol. About $300 in the day..

2drbc7t.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    How is the vacuum around the stem when you eject?? I have found beat to hell, lived a life of crap, stripped of parts and abandoned Merwin Herberts that still will have a vacuum in them when you work them..

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When you pull the barrel you can still feel the resistance. From what I've read, Mr. Merwin had some process that did a better nickel plate job on guns for less money, supposed to be why most of his guns were nickel plated.

Top Bottom