• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wmbraswell2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2019
    COLUMBUS
    I have a built AR-15 pistol with 7.5 inch barrel that is shooting 12 inches right. It groups fine and with sights fully adjusted it still is 12 inches to the right. Any ideas?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If it's a pinned front sight or gas block, you need to whap the **** out of it with a rubber mallet to rotate the block against the pins. True story.

wmbraswell2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2019
    COLUMBUS
    Free float barrel with low pro gas block. Flip up front and rear sight. Groups good just 12 inches to the right with the rear sight mechanically maxed out to the left. I've heard that the crown may be the issue idk.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    If the front sight is on the hand guard the hand guard could be on crooked or the barrel nut is bad. Front sight on the barrel the uppers bore to face could be off sight not installed perpendicular or the barrel is bad.

Picks and more info would help.

wmbraswell2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2019
    COLUMBUS
    I'm going to remove barrel and inspect then reassemble on another upper to eliminate mounting fitment issues. I feel it is either barrel crown, upper to barrel nut fitment, or bad barrel. I've only shot it at 50yds. It does group but is off right as stated. Also may try another barrel on existing upper. I have options just all involve some sweat equity. Thanks for all the replies.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If it's a pinned front sight or gas block, you need to whap the **** out of it with a rubber mallet to rotate the block against the pins. True story.

Or is that to rotate the bbl and front sight together, at the bbl extension?

Put it on a hard chair (protect the chair though), sit on the thing and run a wooden dowel through FSB and give it a pop.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Free float barrel with low pro gas block. Flip up front and rear sight.

Good quality sights? Got others you can try??

What type of handguards? Sounds like the FS is mounted on the HGs? Are you SURE you installed the HGs straight? break out some straight edges and squares.

I had a sh***y set of HGs once that mounted so sloppily with hand pressure I could move the zero around many inches....

-rvb

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm with rvb, the quality of some stuff can be an issue. You also may try some other sights. I know of some KAC sights that had windage maxed completely out to barely be zeroed, and those can generally be considered quality sights.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would start at the hand guard being off. Loosen it and use a carry handle or something to bridge the gap between upper and hand guard then tighten it up good and retry.

If still no go something is out of spec or tolerance stacking issues possible.

wmbraswell2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2019
    COLUMBUS
    1st of a few follow ups.
    Thanks for all the advice.
    Hand guards are free float. Front sight is on rail.
    Checked rails for straightness. Ensured proper sight adjustment. Will rezero this weekend with another set of iron sights and maybe an optic. Thanks and more to follow.

wmbraswell2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2019
    COLUMBUS
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
    After some range time found the culprit to be a bad BUIS. I have three sets of these sights and never an issue except for this one. I removed it and installed a Ruger BUIS was 6 clicks off of zero. I'm so happy my AR Pistol is accurate, zeroed, and ready for a reflex/holographic sight. Thanks to all the input and looking forward to future threads.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I just love a story with a happy ending!

OK, usually I say that sarcastically when a Darwin Award candidate has demonstrated their fitness for the award, or something of the like. In this case I'm glad OP figured out the issue and shared the solution with the group.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
    After some range time found the culprit to be a bad BUIS. I have three sets of these sights and never an issue except for this one. I removed it and installed a Ruger BUIS was 6 clicks off of zero. I'm so happy my AR Pistol is accurate, zeroed, and ready for a reflex/holographic sight. Thanks to all the input and looking forward to future threads.

Thanks for the update, happy to hear you figured it out.

wmbraswell2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2019
    COLUMBUS
    I'm curious...

Bad in what way?
    Or just swapped for a different one and Majik!

Appearance and function seem to be as the others. I swapped the BUIS out with a Ruger BUIS and with rear aperture centered rounds were 6 clicks off bullseye. Other sight was maxed out and still needed about 10 more clicks. The brand was Ozark Tactical which is a Veteran owned business. I believe I just for a bad one.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom