Rock Island 1911 45 acp very low price at RK (any owners here ?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    I am seriously considering this Rock Island GI model 1911

My last 1911 was a very well worn in Springfield armory and that was in the 1980's so...

Call it nostalgia or the need for a 45 acp in the nightstand LOL

Attachments

• Rock Island GI issue 1911.jpg
      Rock Island GI issue 1911.jpg
      21.1 KB · Views: 51

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Save the money buy something better.RIA 1911’s are trash. Someone will come along and tell you different because theirs has had fifty flawless rounds over the last few years, but as in most things in life, you get what you pay for.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Save the money buy something better.RIA 1911’s are trash. Someone will come along and tell you different because theirs has had fifty flawless rounds over the last few years, but as in most things in life, you get what you pay for.

They have stepped up their game in the last couple of years but I will never own one. Ever.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I have 2 RIA Ultra Tac 1911's and shoot both of them on a regular basis and never had a single problem with them. Sure there are better 1911's out there. Look at the RIA forum to get a good idea of what actual owners think.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 RIA Ultra Tac 1911's and shoot both of them on a regular basis and never had a single problem with them. Sure there are better 1911's out there. Look at the RIA forum to get a good idea of what actual owners think.

I have rebuilt and upgraded about 20 or more RIA's. They were all causing the owners problems of some kind They ran sweet when they left. I have seen the insides of several more. They are sloppy by 1911 standards. Maybe your model is fit up a bit better. As I said the marque has stepped it up lately. They are putting a much better gun out to the public. No knock. Just saying I avoid the brand. OP asked.

If you own them and like them I wish you all the best with them. Enjoy.

And again, no knock on you or the brand.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have one. It is excellent - reliable and accurate!! Anyone who has ever shot mine has been impressed. Read the countless positive online reviews or watch the review vids on youtube.

This is a great gun and an excellent value. It is not a $1,300 piece of man-jewelry. It is a solid firearm. You will not be disappointed.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want to have a 1911 and only plan on putting a box per year through it, while never carrying it, an RIA is not too bad for the money. If you want to enjoy the craftsmanship in a nice 1911, then you will be disappointed in an RIA. I’ve owned one and it ran really well. I think it had somewhere around 800 rounds through it when sold but it is built to a price point.

A Colt is not too much more and while those also have a bunch of mediocre parts in them, they often can be tuned well and if not, it’s not too hard to sell a Colt. You will lose money on an RIA unless it’s a really good deal. Even then, you will lose money on it.

But, if it’s just a toy to fill a niche and will only be a one box a year plinker, it’s not a bad choice.

CM will smack me when we hit the range together next...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want to have a 1911 and only plan on putting a box per year through it, while never carrying it, an RIA is not too bad for the money. If you want to enjoy the craftsmanship in a nice 1911, then you will be disappointed in an RIA. I’ve owned one and it ran really well. I think it had somewhere around 800 rounds through it when sold but it is built to a price point.

A Colt is not too much more and while those also have a bunch of mediocre parts in them, they often can be tuned well and if not, it’s not too hard to sell a Colt. You will lose money on an RIA unless it’s a really good deal. Even then, you will lose money on it.

But, if it’s just a toy to fill a niche and will only be a one box a year plinker, it’s not a bad choice.

CM will smack me when we hit the range together next...

Nah. You are too much fun.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    With the defender series there’s really no reason to buy anything else for a budget 1911. I’d pass on it and get one of those.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have had a couple in the past (still have a CS model). Never had any issues with them. They are fine for a range toy or just to have a GI style 1911. Like CM said, they have stepped up their game in the past few years. They are nowhere near the quality of some higher end brands but they don't cost as much either.

If you are looking for a 1911 as a nightstand gun, make damn sure it is 100% reliable with more than a few hundred rounds down the pipe. I have a couple of old Colt 1991A1's (ORM style) with over 1000 trouble free rounds each out of them. I would bet my life on either of them. A 1911 done right will run forever. A 1911 done half assed will get you killed when you need it most. Just my 2 cents:)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    CM and I have had words about this before. I don't doubt what he says, but I have 2 of them. Had them for 6-8 yrs, and haven't had a lick of trouble out of them.
    YMMV, but for a kickin' around, no frills plinking pistol I'd buy another one.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    MtNXKQL.jpg

OOPS, wrong thread.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    It's so funny when you ask a question like this and then you get everything but the answer you asked for !!!
    For those of you who owned one or at least have had an opportunity to have some range time with one, Thanks for sharing.
    I'm just looking for a shooter not a 1 to 2K $ ornament to try and prove something about how cool I am LOL !!!

https://youtu.be/3W7sb9Zp-8o

Hickok45 video above $500 1911 or 3K 1911 fun video about the choice.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A Colt is not too much more and while those also have a bunch of mediocre parts in them, they often can be tuned well and if not, it’s not too hard to sell a Colt.
    I read a comment from the owner of Alchemy Custom on a 1911 forum not long ago.
    Colt guns are as close as you can get to proven spec that just works. Loose slide and all. All the holes are where they should be. Colts have a feed ramp angle and depth that just works. The heat treat of the parts is correct. The small parts are excellent, even the MIM stuff and sometimes the MIM part someone replaces is actually a better part than what it is replaced with.
    I saw in another post that the Springfield Pro had to go to some MIM for the FBI because the Wilson Combat BP part wasn't as durable.

This has nothing to do with RIA. Sorry for the thread jack. Sometimes you read a post that just reminds you of something else that you read and for some reason feel the need to blurt it out.
    https://alchemy1911.com

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's so funny when you ask a question like this and then you get everything but the answer you asked for !!!
    For those of you who owned one or at least have had an opportunity to have some range time with one, Thanks for sharing.
    I'm just looking for a shooter not a 1 to 2K $ ornament to try and prove something about how cool I am LOL !!!

https://youtu.be/3W7sb9Zp-8o

Hickok45 video above $500 1911 or 3K 1911 fun video about the choice.

You asked a question and I answered with my opinion of the product.....???????

If you want a cheap entry level 1911 and are willing to roll the dice then go for it.

You might get a good one as RIA seems to have raised its game. Many own and love these. I believe many others have stated the same thing in so many words.

I do not build/modify 1911's to prove how cool I am. I do it for the accomplishment and I share them. A lot. I enjoy watching others enjoy the work and end result.
    It is most satisfying.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    OP, I had one awhile back, shot well, really accurate, but too heavy for my EDC, but I'd have another if the price was right.. ,Churchmouse, what would you recommend instead of the RIA as a starter 1911? The price is the main reason for the RIA's, being $500 or less, what can you get in a 1911,for around that? ( sorry to thread jack)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OP, I had one awhile back, shot well, really accurate, but too heavy for my EDC, but I'd have another if the price was right.. ,Churchmouse, what would you recommend instead of the RIA as a starter 1911? The price is the main reason for the RIA's, being $500 or less, what can you get in a 1911,for around that? ( sorry to thread jack)

No jack. Good question.
    It will be hard to beat that price. That is the main draw to these pieces.
    SR1911 from Ruger is a solid piece but the money is not the same either.

Top Bottom