• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I was planning to purchase a Ruger Wrangler sometime soon, but I went to an auction today and this came up for sale. I was there for something else, in fact, I hadn't even looked at this. However, the bidding was stuck at $100 and I thought, heck, that's only half of what the Ruger will cost me so I raised my hand. I ended up winning it for $130 plus tax, which was $139.10 out the door.

Here is a link to a web site with a lot more information about them. According to it my gun must have been made in 1966 because that was the only year they produced this variation. (I was 3 years old in '66.) It looks absolutely brand new, I don't think it has ever been fired!

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html

No box or anything else, but I am tickled pink with it. The trigger is really smooth. The only weird thing is that it appears to be single action even though the trigger rotates the cylinder. It just doesn't cycle the hammer. Considering the condition and how smooth it all operates, I think it must have been designed that way.

The web site says the frame is aluminum, but everything else is steel. You can tell the subtle difference between the bluing on the steel and the anodizing on the frame.

Gwh99Os.jpg

Ze2Mbll.jpg

yargzq7.jpg

AoM9AcT.jpg

1DxYRxp.jpg

jiyjcYq.jpg

l1z0ibx.jpg

9DA4lUP.jpg

Last edited:

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Pretty sure this is a double action. May want to field strip it and look for something needing attention, or take it to a gunsmith for a look. There are several videos out there. Regardless, nice revolver! I love my R102, shots great! Nice buy, I would have bid too!

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've had a Sentinel Camp Gun and now have Sentinel Deluxe. They are DA and excellent little shooters. Both of mine have dual (.22 LR & .22 mag) cylinders. You'll enjoy yours.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Thanks for the replies, good to know it is supposed to be DA. That will give me something to do.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Nice score!

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Nice gun. They are very accurate. This is the "Deluxe" model so it has some additional features. It may or may not have a spring loaded ejector rod. Meaning you can close the cyl with the ejector star extended leading to a really bad scratch on side. Barrel is not threaded and a single pin holds it in place. Sentinels were available as kits including a second barrel in 2-3-4", and a birds head second grip. Mine is a standard model sold by Sears and labeled J.C. HIGGENS.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Thanks to all for the kind comments, and I can add an update. I finally had time to take it apart today to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. It was just a bunch of old dried grease that was preventing some things from moving freely like they should. A thorough cleaning has it working perfectly!

I was very impressed by the internal workings. The screw that holds the grip on is the only screw in the entire revolver! Everything else fits with some other part in such a way as to stay together. I have to admit there was a point when I was questioning if I would ever figure out how it went back together, but I found a schematic diagram online. You might think that I should have taken some photos before I had it all apart, and you would be right. It was like I had some sort of mental telepathy, the second I thought about taking photos something went zoink and I had a pile of parts.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I want a Wrangler but this is a unique purchase. Well done sir. (I have my Grandfather's Double Nine and I can attest High Standard made a smooth little shooter)

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks to all for the kind comments, and I can add an update. I finally had time to take it apart today to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. It was just a bunch of old dried grease that was preventing some things from moving freely like they should. A thorough cleaning has it working perfectly!

I was very impressed by the internal workings. The screw that holds the grip on is the only screw in the entire revolver! Everything else fits with some other part in such a way as to stay together. I have to admit there was a point when I was questioning if I would ever figure out how it went back together, but I found a schematic diagram online. You might think that I should have taken some photos before I had it all apart, and you would be right. It was like I had some sort of mental telepathy, the second I thought about taking photos something went zoink and I had a pile of parts.

Outstanding news that you got it working.

Top Bottom