• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Curious about the differences between the Shadows. I've got some stuff listed here in the classifieds to trade for one and I'm also working a deal locally for one. However, my local deal is only for an Accushadow and it costs enough more than a Shadow 2 to make me weigh my options a little more carefully.

After talking to some of the Warsaw guys at a local match and discussing which one to purchase it was recommended to me to purchase the Shadow 2 instead of the Accushadow. However, I can't remember why. If any of you see this can you re-elaborate for me?

From my online research I'm seeing most people say if you get a shadow 2 to just buy the upgrades that are in the Accushadow anyway.

So which direction would you go if you had the choice and why?

Secondly, everyone (and I mean everyone! Within a decent price range anyway) is out of Shadow 2's right now and I have an opportunity to purchase an Accushadow. Unfortunately, I am very impatient in general. Adding this stipulation to the mix, would you then be willing to grab the Accushadow if you didn't know when the Shadow 2's were going to come back in stock?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Shortly after getting my Shadow 2 over a year ago, I bought the CGW Shadow S-2 Kit and am so happy with the stock pistol that I have yet to install the CGW parts.

I use it for steel challenge competition and a general range toy. So for me the high price of the Accushadow leaves me with little desire to own one.

On the other hand, if I didn't own one and the Shadow 2 was unavailable and an extremely good deal came along on the Accushadow, I would probably get it. Not much help huh?

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Shortly after getting my Shadow 2 over a year ago, I bought the CGW Shadow S-2 Kit and am so happy with the stock pistol that I have yet to install the CGW parts.

I use it for steel challenge competition and a general range toy. So for me the high price of the Accushadow leaves me with little desire to own one.

On the other hand, if I didn't own one and the Shadow 2 was unavailable and an extremely good deal came along on the Accushadow, I would probably get it. Not much help huh?

See that's what I'm figuring the logic is. And I'm shooting as much competition as I can so I'm thinking this will be perfect for me. The Accushadow I have a chance at is about $200-250 more than a Shadow 2. I could do it but I'm on a slightly tight budget right now so it's a tough call

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    For bullseye competition the accushadow might be worth it. For action shooting sports, the S2 with CGW goodies as desired is just as good. FWIW I put a CGW bushing in a plain old CZ 85 and mounted a Leopold optic on the gun, the kind where there is a triangle instead of a dot and when you want to get fancy off of a sandbag you could aim off the tip of the triangle. The gun would hit a quarter 2 out of 3 shots at 20 yards if the shooter did their part.
    The other fwiw, I prefer the SP01 (or shadow 1 variant) to the S2 for the grip and balance and you can find those used at a steal sometimes. I'm fussy about triggers so I ended up doing all the same mods to the S2 that most people do to SP01.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    For bullseye competition the accushadow might be worth it. For action shooting sports, the S2 with CGW goodies as desired is just as good. FWIW I put a CGW bushing in a plain old CZ 85 and mounted a Leopold optic on the gun, the kind where there is a triangle instead of a dot and when you want to get fancy off of a sandbag you could aim off the tip of the triangle. The gun would hit a quarter 2 out of 3 shots at 20 yards if the shooter did their part.
    The other fwiw, I prefer the SP01 (or shadow 1 variant) to the S2 for the grip and balance and you can find those used at a steal sometimes. I'm fussy about triggers so I ended up doing all the same mods to the S2 that most people do to SP01.

This is interesting. Someone else told me I could do fine with an original shadow and some work done to it as well.

However, I'm in love with the blue grips and will put them on a shadow 2 or Accushadow. Either way.

Also, while I do shoot steel challenge I'm having more fun with USPSA style stuff (and may continue on to IDPA and 3 gun when budget and training time allows)

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    What about ergonomics? I have seen more than one person say the ergonomics of the shadow 2 are better than the Accushadow.

If anyone has experience with both can you confirm this and why? I've not seen a lot of specifics except for someone saying some of the controls on the S2 are extended compared to the Accu

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Last summer I got turned onto CZs in general.
    I had the CZ 75 Omega (36 oz), then the SP-01 Tactical (41 oz), then I shot gmcttr's Shadow 2 (47 oz), and had to have one: best thing in my hand ever and shot it better than anything else ever.
    Nothing else I owned compared.

I bought one last summer and had the Wizard do $254 in upgrades: S/A trigger, 10x bushing, 54460 Ultra lite kit, extended firing pin and reduced power mainsprings, straight single action trigger, floating trigger pin that is reusable, reduced power trigger return spring and all the internals have been polished.
    It is heaven to me!

I have owned 8 CZs since last summer, still having the Shadow 2 under discussion & my 2nd SP-01.
    Know this, whatever you end up with, you will love it! :thumbsup:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a Shadow with the upgrades. Awesome pistol.
    I have an 85 Combat with the upgrades including the bushing. Just got it but will find out just how awesome it is tomorrow morning.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I was able to shoot an urban grey shadow 2 yesterday. I've held and dry fired a few shadows but this is first one I shot. Without even trying I rang stell 16 out of 17 times firing as fast as i could choosing random steel plates.

It was epic. I went to my shop and i said "just find whatever shadow 2 or accushadow is cheapest and in stock and order the damn thing"

I should have it next thursday. Prob gonna end up with an urban grey because those were cheapest and in stock last I checked

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Best design ever and I feel like I know why it is. It's the opposite slide to frame fit from a 1911. Allows you to get higher on the bore axis.

SOLD!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I ran my new to me CZ 85B with the full CGW's package put in y the Wizard and if it gets any better than that gun I could be world champ. Speechless.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    So who is the Wizard?

Got it, maybe I'll communicate a bit and get some work done to mine. Before that I'll have to really research what upgrades to do.

Firs thing's first, I may upgrade the controls. The mag release seems fine but the other controls felt very tight to the frame and maybe hard to get to fast. Of course this was all with one mag dump.

acd1010

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Coatesville
    I think you should get both, however, I don't think you go wrong either way. I let a shadow 2 slip away and still kick myself over it.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    The Wizard is the "Fairy-Duster"...

He imparts unicorn urine and assorted alchemy metallurgy to all CZ handguns that make them immortal.

In short, he is on speed-dial and has a 3-week waiting list.

And everybody at Cajun Gun Works knows him by his first name.

If it were me, I'd shoot my new CZ a bunch - like at least 500 rounds - then get in touch with the Wizard.

Many on here like our CZ's after we throw some lead thru them and some want to like them even more with the enhancements of the Wizard.

YMMV....

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have two guns that have been "touched" by the Wizard.
    My Shadow 2 with only a few mods b/c I kept reading about upgrades: bushing, flat trigger, and a spring kit turning it into a S/A only and etc.
    It is heaven to touch!
    I even had someone contact me about buying it since I have 3x more money in it than either of 2 other guns I have for range/steel shooting pleasure since I need to sell about 5 guns here of late to trim.
    I put a price on it, but breathed a sigh of relief when they went a different direction.
    I bought a Ruger SR9c that the Wizard was selling for his daughter, and bought it only b/c he had "touched it," making only some basic upgrades, and sure enough: it shoots as well as more expensive guns that I have.

Top Bottom