Range: Shadow 2, Bersa TP XT, SP-01 & Sig 2022; Sell which?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have these 4 large frame 9mms and I need to trim 1 or 2 for range toys, with a 3rd one trimmed in the future perhaps.
    It is frustrating b/c only the Bersa Thunder Pro XT competition gun has rear sights that can be adjusted vertically and horizontally, so I can test which works accurately for me in comparison to the others.

The Sig Sauer 2022 had no place for any adjustments that I can see.
    The CZ SP-01 has one "hole" in the rear sight that I suppose you can use the right tool to loosen it up for horizontal adjustments.
    The CZ Shadow 2 has two "holes" that I suppose can be used to loosen the rear sight up to move horizontally.
    The Shadow 2 does have a screw adjustment for "UP" & "Down."
    I've not even tried to Google for directions on the right tools and how to move the rear sight for horizontal adjustments b/c I really don't want to mess it up by stripping out anything then having to replace the rear sight.

C2ZtQFX.jpg

hvLcPUT.jpg

ptwTTxN.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I don't see the problem??? Keep the Shadow 2 and change your finger placement on the trigger slightly (or your grip) to center the groups on target or adjust your sight picture or have someone move the sights a few thousands of an inch to do the same thing.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't see the problem??? Keep the Shadow 2 and change your finger placement on the trigger slightly (or your grip) to center the groups on target or adjust your sight picture or have someone move the sights a few thousands of an inch to do the same thing.

You know when you speak: I listen! :thumbsup:
    Of course, you are telling me what I want to hear, and that helps. :laugh:
    The groups were the best (mostly) with the Shadow 2, it just bugs me that the Bersa is more accurate until I can get the sights adjusted on the Shadow 2 to bring up the POI.
    The sights were adjusted when I had it upgraded, so I don't understand why it's off.
    At 20', four of the five rounds were one hole on the red, with just a little to the right, and that was free-hand.
    At 30', I was all over the place.
    At 40', I just need to bring it up with the vertical screw. Still a hair to the right.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    :popcorn:My suggestion would be let someone else shoot them before considering moving sights or selling guns. I have my suspicions but I would want to watch what you are doing before making any bold claims. Looking at your targets again it strikes me as odd that the groups from the shadow II is better at 40 feet than at 30 feet?
    I can't imagine using a rest unless I was testing ammo. My guess is that every one of the pistols are capable of much better groups that I see.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    :popcorn:My suggestion would be let someone else shoot them before considering moving sights or selling guns. I have my suspicions but I would want to watch what you are doing before making any bold claims. Looking at your targets again it strikes me as odd that the groups from the shadow II is better at 40 feet than at 30 feet?
    I can't imagine using a rest unless I was testing ammo. My guess is that every one of the pistols are capable of much better groups that I see.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Appreciate your input. :thumbsup:
    I realize I am the X factor/weakness in all this.
    I used the rest to try to minimalize the "me" factor.
    I hear you about the Shadow 2 shooting better at 40' than at 30': that had my bad habits written all over it. :dunno:
    I had to chuckle over your observation that the guns are capable of better groups than what you are seeing: agreed.
    I have had INGO members shooting at the range with me and beat me putting rounds through the "red" using my own guns. :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    40' free hand with 6 different 9mms.
    All of these shoot fine for their intended use: some range toys, some small CC and some medium size CC, some I just love the feel in my hand.
    I'd love to keep all of these, but I will start with selling the CZ SP-01, of which I sold the 1st one I had last summer b/c of the Shadow 2, and here I am again.

CZ Shadow 2: the best, as usual. Free hand. I really love this gun: the best ever.
    QwNR4e1.jpg

Bersa Thunder Pro XT: 2nd best, as usual. Free hand. The best inexpensive gun that I've ever had.
    Pfo7oXT.jpg

CZ SP-01 Free hand. 2nd time I've owned this model of CZ. I would have been happy with this gun if gmcttr would have not let me shot his Shadow 2. :laugh:
    NxEdB9A.jpg

Sig Sauer 2022 Free hand. What is it about this gun? I want to sell it b/c I can't justify it but I just really enjoy it. :dunno:
    6WgtrGI.jpg

Just for fun, the Ruger SR9c. Free hand. Rugers have been good to me in all sizes and shapes: I've had more Rugers than anything except maybe for CZs, but I've lost track of how many Rugers I've had.
    wpV2GnV.jpg

Another "just for fun," SW M&P Shield 2.0 Free hand. I have always loved the Shield series and this one does not disappoint.
    npXJiVj.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got a chance to play with my bigger 9mms today, where the real fun at the range is.
    I'm down to just these two now: CZ Shadow 2 & Bersa Thunder Pro XT Competition gun.
    I haven't shot them since July, and I really loved the Shadow 2.
    There is no comparison in my emotional attachment to it, especially since the Wizard did a few upgrades with it.
    In the hand there is nothing like it for me: the ultimate.
    It was shooting better also, but I know I'm the X factor.

All 30'; all on a rest. Top is CZ, middle XT, with the bottom row being CZ on top of the Bersa.
    0jTQt14.jpg

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I think the best bet is to decide what you want for range gun and just shoot it. Most modern firearms are more accurate than we are. It’s just mastering them the best we can. I believe CZs are easiest to pick up for anyone from beginner to expert and shoot great groups with.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think the best bet is to decide what you want for range gun and just shoot it. Most modern firearms are more accurate than we are. It’s just mastering them the best we can. I believe CZs are easiest to pick up for anyone from beginner to expert and shoot great groups with.

So true, and I have learned that since I've tried so many guns in the past 2.5 yrs.
    There is much I love about the Bersa XT competition pistol with its 5 mags and adjustable rear sights, but the Shadow 2 was touched by the Wizard with some trigger work the like, so I know I'll never have a better gun in my life.
    Never even had a CZ till summer of 2018 (had 8 of them, and loved them all).
    I have made a decision to keep what feels the best, and I enjoy the most: Shadow 2.
    The XT is on my next "trim" list after I sell my present listings.
    I do hate the Urban Grey color however, but looks like I'm stuck with it.
    I had a chance to buy the black w/blue handles from a member here and then just sell mine, but I blinked.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When you 1st posted this I was screaming "BERSA" you foooool. Sell the damned "BERSA"
    :):

You are so right :thumbsup:, and it is so clear to me now that I've made up my mind and determined.
    I was encouraged in a text to go for the quality and what I really wanted, enjoyed and felt right. :rockwoot:
    Shooting the Shadow 2 this pm after not doing so for awhile really brought it all back to me: I LOVE the CZ SHADOW 2. :woot:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So true, and I have learned that since I've tried so many guns in the past 2.5 yrs.
    There is much I love about the Bersa XT competition pistol with its 5 mags and adjustable rear sights, but the Shadow 2 was touched by the Wizard with some trigger work the like, so I know I'll never have a better gun in my life.
    Never even had a CZ till summer of 2018 (had 8 of them, and loved them all).
    I have made a decision to keep what feels the best, and I enjoy the most: Shadow 2.
    The XT is on my next "trim" list after I sell my present listings.
    I do hate the Urban Grey color however, but looks like I'm stuck with it.
    I had a chance to buy the black w/blue handles from a member here and then just sell mine, but I blinked.

Keep the CZ and take it to AllenM to cerakote and make it a forever keeper.

That gun is nice enough by far to warrant a few more $ to make it something you like in every regard.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Keep the CZ and take it to AllenM to cerakote and make it a forever keeper.
    That gun is nice enough by far to warrant a few more $ to make it something you like in every regard.

Actually, since I have determined this is to be the long-term keeper for a 9mm range gun: that is interesting.
    But, there is the price of the cerakote, and then there is the blue grips.
    I assume that could be $300 - $400 total.
    Not sure I hate the color that much! :laugh:

Right now I'm really determined to trim the safe and restore funds for use on the house we downsized to and it needs more updates.
    I will not borrow money for such things, so it takes the cash my wife knows is buried in "the hobby." :laugh:
    This started out as a 2-4 gun venture spending about $200 - $300 per gun. :dunno:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Actually, since I have determined this is to be the long-term keeper for a 9mm range gun: that is interesting.
    But, there is the price of the cerakote, and then there is the blue grips.
    I assume that could be $300 - $400 total.
    Not sure I hate the color that much! :laugh:

Right now I'm really determined to trim the safe and restore funds for use on the house we downsized to and it needs more updates.
    I will not borrow money for such things, so it takes the cash my wife knows is buried in "the hobby." :laugh:
    This started out as a 2-4 gun venture spending about $200 - $300 per gun. :dunno:

You are well beyond that limit these days. I don't say this alot, but sometimes a few nice pieces are better than many mediocre pieces.

AllenM can give you a quote and then you will know. Then you can agonize over which color to pick, as you are not limited to just black, etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You are well beyond that limit these days. I don't say this alot, but sometimes a few nice pieces are better than many mediocre pieces.

AllenM can give you a quote and then you will know. Then you can agonize over which color to pick, as you are not limited to just black, etc.

Talking with AllenM earlier this week he is finishing our current project and then taking a much needed break. It looks like he will not be taking in any new work for a while.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Talking with AllenM earlier this week he is finishing our current project and then taking a much needed break. It looks like he will not be taking in any new work for a while.

Gotcha, I can imagine he needs a break (I understand he moved not too long ago, and being in the middle of such things currently myself, it is wearing me down), along with what I would think will be his busy season on the car front is fast approaching. By the time Doddg finishes processing and picking out a color though, Allen will probably be ready to go again

Doddg, there are your friends up at ZRTactical and some others who can take care of the color on your CZ as well.

But as CM said up above, dump the Bersa. It's not even a contest on which to keep in my book and I don't even own a CZ.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    There are lots of good coating people around if you wanna go that route for the shadow. I’m not sure what all has been done to yours but if it’s just Cajun parts and a little polishing it’s nothing that can’t be done again inexpensively. I’m sure if your patient someone may trade a black one for yours

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Yes, the quality over quantity approach. :thumbsup: I'm starting to "get it."
    I have heard that twice now in as many days, a lesson I wish I could have learned early on.

Interesting. I can't imagine what other color to pick besides black, unless a fake stainless steel looks good. :laugh:
    I did have a green gun lately (a Sig, I think) which I surprisingly liked.
    But, I will not pursue that now (unless I see one done that makes my lose control).
    :dunno:
    I even looked at different colored grips last night, but didn't see anything that went with the Urban Crap, I mean, Urban Grey.
    Black goes the best from what I saw.
    They do have some that are thicker (coke-bottle style) that sounded interesting since I like a thick grip, but it comes well-endowed stock anyway.

Gotcha, I can imagine he needs a break (I understand he moved not too long ago, and being in the middle of such things currently myself, it is wearing me down), along with what I would think will be his busy season on the car front is fast approaching. By the time Doddg finishes processing and picking out a color though, Allen will probably be ready to go again
    :rofl:That was a good shot, well deserved on my part! I did chuckle over that.

Doddg, there are your friends up at ZRTactical and some others who can take care of the color on your CZ as well.

I bought a guns there before and a couple of years ago one had been cerakoted, but I could see imperfections of it not adhering around the edges and friction points.
    It was a negative in my mind due to that experience, b/c of the wear factor, but I'm sure the process has been perfected more since then.

But as CM said up above, dump the Bersa. It's not even a contest on which to keep in my book and I don't even own a CZ.

I will. But, I did have an attachment to the Bersa XT since I bought it at a value like none other (1/3 the money in it, than the Shadow).
    It came with 5 mags, a great trigger (for me), and most of the time shot well for me.
    That wasn't my experience yesterday (Shadow 2 beat the Bersa soundly).

Top Bottom