• ...and so much more!
  • deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    How do the Ubertis stack up against the Vaqueros? Or is there be something else I should be considering? Range gun and possibly SASS.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Wish I could remember the Uberti model, but my younger brother had both an Uberti and Vaquero in 357. The Ruger was noticeably more enjoyable to shoot with reasonably hot loads. The Uberti was SO darned pretty with blued finish and wood grips! If I was only shooting 38, the Uberti would be the winner. But if I planned to shoot much 357, it would be the Ruger for me.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Tough to beat the Uberti guns and they are more like original Colts in both appearance and function. What caliber?

wmbraswell2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2019
    COLUMBUS
    I've shot the Ruger single six .22 the Blackhawk in 357 AMD Super Blackhawk in .44 Love them all. I want an Uberti as I cannot justify the price of a Colt. Thoughts on Colt vs Uberti? Or any input on Ruger

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    coltsheriff.jpg

IMG_0089.PNG
    Top is a Colt Sherriff in 44 Special. Bottom is a Uberti in 44 Special, also have same Uberti in 38 Special. 38 Uberti is a smaller frame.

Have 4 Rugers in 44 Special and 45 Colt.

The Rugers are beasts and my grandkids will be using them. As far as shooting the Uberti and Colt are the same. Actually my Uberti's have a slight advantage in smoothness. The Colt is better finished and 3 times the cost.

You cannot go wrong with a Ruger, if you want a more historical action the Uberti gets the nod. You can shoot and modify a Uberti without incurring as much cost. If you wear out or damage it another is available. Springs and parts are inexpensive, I have tuned all of them.

Just finished loading 1500 44 Special rounds so they do get shot often. Never had a problem with any of them.

Don

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've shot the Ruger single six .22 the Blackhawk in 357 AMD Super Blackhawk in .44 Love them all. I want an Uberti as I cannot justify the price of a Colt. Thoughts on Colt vs Uberti? Or any input on Ruger

Colt vs Uberti there really is little difference other than the price, that said, you will always get your money out of the Colt. A good first Gen Colt SAA always comes with a story, something a modern gun often has yet to earn.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Ubertis in .38/.357 are pretty tough. Where the Vaqs have 'em beat is in .45 LC and .44 Mag.

Uberti will wear out with quick shooting or fanning faster than a Vaq, but the Uberti is a good gun for general shooting or having around. In my old house, I used to have my Uberti hanging by the trigger guard on a the wall mounted coat rack by the back door, only 5 loaded. lol Shot a friend's Vaq (thinking I might sell my Uberti to fund my own Vaq) but ended up just keeping the one I had. I did give it to my sister when she moved to Texas because she wanted a more politically correct gun around (Austin TX) and I miss it. I do remember I had to do some filing and refinish on the rear sight to get the windage right. Once I did, it shot lights out.

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    a few years back I was in a shop in Michigan City and the owner shot Sass. Lots of singe actions for sale used. The Ubertis were beautiful and affordable so I asked about a gun for starting in sass. He said, and I quote, " You can buy anything you want, but you will end up with Rugers. " He felt that for the volume of shooting you will do the Rugers were the only ones strong enough.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Seems if I want to look at it, buy the Uberti. If I want to shoot it, get the Vaquero. Does that about sum it up?

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Seems if I want to look at it, buy the Uberti. If I want to shoot it, get the Vaquero. Does that about sum it up?

I shoot CAS. I have Rugers and Ubertis.

Many folks have Uberti and many have Rugers.

Both can be beautiful and fancy.

The Ruger is built like a tank. It also is safer. During the loading process on any firearm that is a Colt clone, the hammer has to be drawn back to the second notch to spin the cylinder. The normal loading is load one, skip one, load four, lower the hammer down on an empty chamber. The Ruger Vaquero doesn't require cocking the hammer to load it. Just opening the loading gate allows the cylinder to spin. When loading the Vaquero all that is required to to open the loading gate, load one, skip one, load four, close the loading gate and turn the cylinder one more position and its resting on an empty chamber. This isn't much of a difference until someone make a mistake and their thumb slips off the hammer while trying to carefully lower it. Plus Rugers are made in the USA.

If you want a SAA on par or above Colt with out of the box quality, check out the SAR by Standard Mfg. It is made in the USA by former USFA and Colt employees. Badger Creek Firearm in Mooresville is a dealer and has a few in stock that will make you drool.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Badger Creek Firearms also has other brands of SAA clones. You can also check the classifieds on sassnet.com in the forums. Non-SASS members can buy but not sell on the forum.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have both. The Rugers I bought more for hunting. If I were shooting thousands of rounds through it, I would get a Ruger. I bought the Uberti because of it's Classic and authentic beauty. Mine is in 44 special because that is what I reload. It is also the authentic 1873-1895 model. Sometimes I get it out of the safe just to look at it. But it is also an awesome shooter! And just so much fun to shoot!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I shoot CAS. I have Rugers and Ubertis.

Many folks have Uberti and many have Rugers.

Both can be beautiful and fancy.

The Ruger is built like a tank. It also is safer. During the loading process on any firearm that is a Colt clone, the hammer has to be drawn back to the second notch to spin the cylinder. The normal loading is load one, skip one, load four, lower the hammer down on an empty chamber. The Ruger Vaquero doesn't require cocking the hammer to load it. Just opening the loading gate allows the cylinder to spin. When loading the Vaquero all that is required to to open the loading gate, load one, skip one, load four, close the loading gate and turn the cylinder one more position and its resting on an empty chamber. This isn't much of a difference until someone make a mistake and their thumb slips off the hammer while trying to carefully lower it. Plus Rugers are made in the USA.

If you want a SAA on par or above Colt with out of the box quality, check out the SAR by Standard Mfg. It is made in the USA by former USFA and Colt employees. Badger Creek Firearm in Mooresville is a dealer and has a few in stock that will make you drool.

I checked out SAR by Standard Mfg. :spend: :wow: They make Colts look like budget guns.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I checked out SAR by Standard Mfg. :spend: :wow: They make Colts look like budget guns.

These days Colt SAA are hard to find and when you do find one, they are often at a premium over MSRP. The recall of their new Colt SAA didn't help matters any. The Colt Custom Shop just came out saying that their offerings will be around $4,000. The attraction of the Standard SAR is that you can actually order one and get it in weeks, not years. The ironic thing is that Standard actually did the color-case hardening for the Colt SAA for a period.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Start of the new journey
    gS8g9jcl.jpg

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Oh yeah, tried to get a range report for everyone but the lead melted halfway to target today

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Oh yeah, tried to get a range report for everyone but the lead melted halfway to target today

:laugh:

On a more serious note. I'm sure almost everyone knows this, but if you leave your lead ammo in the car when it's this hot out, I have heard the lub can melt, possibly getting into the powder and causing a dangerous squib load.

By the way, nice looking revolver.

Top Bottom