• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I have been carrying a Keltec P32 for quite some time. I am looking for a new small carry gun. Does any one have experience with both the Gen 1 Ruger LCP and the RM380? It looks like both guns can be had for around the same price so that is not an issue for me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have shot both, personally I liked the LCPII the best, but then again due to Remington's shall we say less than stellar track record I am more comfortable buying a Ruger as well.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Thanks. I should have specified I am looking at the first gen LCPs and not the 2s. Don't know if that makes much of a difference.

rebase

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2019
    Indianapolis
    The original lcp is a bit thinner and has a long tough trigger. Double action IIRC (though could be wrong). Tbh I liked it better than the lcp 2 as a whole. But definitely would not want to shoot more than two mags thru it.

rebase

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2019
    Indianapolis
    The original lcp is a bit thinner and has a long tough trigger. Double action IIRC (though could be wrong). Tbh I liked it better than the lcp 2 as a whole. But definitely would not want to shoot more than two mags thru it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Thanks. I should have specified I am looking at the first gen LCPs and not the 2s. Don't know if that makes much of a difference.

The LCP 1 has a DAO trigger that is very heavy , the LCP 2 has a MUCH better "single action" trigger which IMHO makes it a much easier pistol to shoot , the sights are also marginally better.

If going with the first Gen LCP I would recommend trying to find a "Custom" model as the trigger and sights are better than the stock configuration

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I have shot all three the LCP, LCP gen 2, and LCPII. Gen 2 has the best and safest trigger for pocket carry shorter and smother than gen 1 and heaver than LCPII.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    RM has some things that Ruger skipped on the first gen LCP (metal trigger, nicer, shorter trigger pull, etc...) The RM has supposedly had the kinks worked out and is not a bad piece.

That being said, I've had two different LCPs and even without metal triggers, they were very easy to use, FAR nicer than the Keltec offerings and shot exceptional considering the ergonomic accuracy issues (poor sights, small gun, etc...). Ruger I think is really missing out on an opportunity to leverage their R&D department to make a .22LR LCP, which if worked through it's kinks, would not stay on shelves. The Taurus PT22 was garbage, but people bought them up quickly, the LCP would be a great trainer and plinker I think.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    The first gens are awful IMO. The seconds are actually quite nice and very shootable. Why are you only looking at a first gen?

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    ( Ruger I think is really missing out on an opportunity to leverage their R&D department to make a .22LR LCP, which if worked through it's kinks, would not stay on shelves. The Taurus PT22 was garbage, but people bought them up quickly, the LCP would be a great trainer and plinker I think. )

The last thing I need is another gun but a LCP gen 2 in 22LR I would be all over that.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm gonna be odd man out and say that I like the RM380 better than the LCPs. The RM is heavier, which makes it a little more pleasant to shoot, and the trigger, while not great, seems smoother than the LCP. We have an RM380 rental gun, and while it doesn't rent very often, we've never had an issue with it, can't say the same about the smaller rugers.

Edit to add: The RM380 is pretty much a remake of the Rohrbaugh 380, which were pretty good guns.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    I have both the original LCP and LCP II. I carry both, but tend to prefer the original as it carries just a little smaller and easier.

The trigger safety on the LCP II is nice if it makes you more comfortable.

I am curious what an original LCP “Gen 2” is? And how do you tell if you have that??

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I have both the original LCP and LCP II. I carry both, but tend to prefer the original as it carries just a little smaller and easier.

The trigger safety on the LCP II is nice if it makes you more comfortable.

I am curious what an original LCP “Gen 2” is? And how do you tell if you have that??

Guess I never really thought about them being two differently named guns. I was referring to the LCP II.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The originals trigger broke almost at the back of the trigger guard. The gen 2 has a shorter and a little lighter pull.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    The first gens are awful IMO. The seconds are actually quite nice and very shootable. Why are you only looking at a first gen?

The LCP 1 feels better to me then the LCPII and are not that much different from my Keltec.

Top Bottom