• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    So I've been crying about CZ's lately and, after shooting 1 mag through a shadow 2, I couldn't help but order one.

Received today.

I'm detail stripping it down and learning about its function and I have some questions for you CZ owners out there.

Feel free to answer 1 or all. Let's talk. I don't get the chance to talk guns in my day to day.

First, I oiled the hell out the rails just now and it feels much smoother. Do these things like oil like 1911's do? Should I load it up every chance I get?

Secondly, I've read about upgrades and I currently understand the upgrade to get is the kit from CGW that runs about $280 or so. However, I barely afforded the firearm so I'm gonna have to start a bit smaller. I understand that I can benefit from some reduced power springs (hammer spring, recoil spring, and maybe a FP spring based on reading). Will probably be shooting straight up cheapo Federal brass ammo for the foreseeable future if that helps. (Haven't had a problem yet with Federal using a G34 with reduced FP springs and trigger spring swaps)

If I were to get a reduced power spring set I'd be happy to hear your recommendations on which springs and which weights? Any kits with just the springs available?

Thirdly, 10x bushing. General consensus is "it helps some guns and not others". That said, this will be a competition piece so should I just go ahead and get it? Even for a marginal gain.

Fourth, I read something about an item that will take the creep out of the trigger in SA. My trigger has very very little creep but I'm a fan of aftermarket and it'll be nice to know I have a set of stock parts available at all times. I think it was a hammer that takes the creep out but not sure if I'm correct about that. Also read about a trigger with adjustable takeup. Any recommendations here?

All this said, I'm sure I will contact the wizard at some point to get some pricing and ideas but I like to know how to tune and upgrade my guns so I'm sure I will mess around myself a bit too.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    First I do not over oil and prefer to use a dab of CGW SS-Moly Grease on the rails as it is stable from -20 to 300 F and gives the slide a feel like its on ball bearings. The least expensive thing you could do for your Shadow 2 is to install the CGW 54460 Ultra Lite kit $39 which includes a extended firing pin with a RPFPS (reduced power FP spring) that is needed when using lighter weight mainsprings. The kit include a blue 13 lbs. & a black 11.5 lbs mainspring that will set off all USA made ammo. You could also install the Floating Trigger Pin $13 & a RPTRS $7 (reduced power trigger return spring) that will also help in getting you trigger pull lower.

I use the 10X Shadow bushing as it is about .004 smaller ID than the stock bushing and will give you zero barrel/bushing play at lockup and I think it is a plus for $60.

The Shadow 2 comes with a competition hammer and will not need to be replaced on most of that Shadow 2's I have handled. On ones with creep they can be smoothed out by very light polishing of the hammer/sear contact areas and using a ceramic stone to put a slight 90 degree break on the sear edge. While you have it broke down I polish the bottom side of the sear cage where you see that the disconnector slides on and at the bottom of the frame where the leg of the disconnector slides. I have handled some that do not require any work as they are perfect out of the box.

As far as replacing the stock trigger it would depend on how much take up is remaining and whether you have much to gain. To set your take up with a new 85C trigger you will make sure the gun is clear then pull the trigger in DA and as it is returning pay attention to when you hear it reset in the DA release. After you hear it reset and when it stops at it's resting position that is your take up. There should be a minimal amount of play after reset for reliability to avoid the trigger not resetting.Product added!

Hope this helps!

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    That helps immensely! I've already got some questions forming in relation to it.

However, as an aside to all of that, this checkering is harsh. The front and back checkering is so pronounced it kind of hurts. Especially on the front. I've got pretty girly, soft hands. Not much callousing. Ever have anyone complain about it?

I'll probably just get some shooting gloves but curious if you've ever heard of anyone taking the checkering down a bit, or off completely?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I got used to the checkering pretty quickly and have put Henning grips on mine that have just as aggressive of checkering. They are a bit thicker then the flat stock grips that did not give me a good purchase on the pistol.

i normally wear very thin gloves when shooting the Shadow 2 but it is mainly due to moderate grip strength, the reduced slide area to be gripped and the sharpness of the slide serrations rather than the checkering.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I got used to the checkering pretty quickly and have put Henning grips on mine that have just as aggressive of checkering. They are a bit thicker then the flat stock grips that did not give me a good purchase on the pistol.

i normally wear very thin gloves when shooting the Shadow 2 but it is mainly due to moderate grip strength, the reduced slide area to be gripped and the sharpness of the slide serrations rather than the checkering.

I'm noticing that as well. Slide has been chewing me up. I've been dry firing and racking it since I picked it up and, yeah, that small slide size and the cuts in it are tough.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    That helps immensely! I've already got some questions forming in relation to it.

However, as an aside to all of that, this checkering is harsh. The front and back checkering is so pronounced it kind of hurts. Especially on the front. I've got pretty girly, soft hands. Not much callousing. Ever have anyone complain about it?

I'll probably just get some shooting gloves but curious if you've ever heard of anyone taking the checkering down a bit, or off completely?

I like the front and back checkering but that's me. I think the checkering on my P-10C is more aggressive than the Shadow. So on my P-10C I used 1200 grit sandpaper on the front & back until it felt good on my hand.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you haven't already, i would:
    1. Join the Brian Enos forum.
    2. Go to the CZ section.
    3. Read the first pinned tweet "CZ tuning with professor Atlas"
    4. Polish,polish,polish.

Assumes that you like to tinker.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would shoot it for a few thousand rounds and a few matches first. Makes notes about what you like and what you don't like along the way. After that familiarization, use the list of things you don't like to help you decide what modifications you want to make.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would shoot it for a few thousand rounds and a few matches first. Makes notes about what you like and what you don't like along the way. After that familiarization, use the list of things you don't like to help you decide what modifications you want to make.

That would work for the non neurotic. With a new CZ or Tanfo it makes me crazy until I've spent a few hours polishing and put in the trigger goodies.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone

That would work for the non neurotic. With a new CZ or Tanfo it makes me crazy until I've spent a few hours polishing and put in the trigger goodies.

Same. I GOTTA MESS WITH IT!

My G34 has $100's under the hood and you could never tell. Only thing on the outside is a set of Dawson sights

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Shoot it enough to toughen up your office hands or wear gloves. That's what I do. #officehandsnotgirlyhands

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Shoot it enough to toughen up your office hands or wear gloves. That's what I do. #officehandsnotgirlyhands

Again...some of us do not have the luxury of being able to "toughen up" our hands due to age, skin conditions, permanent injuries, etc and gloves can be a big help.

Top Bottom