• ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Hello all,

It has been a while since I have posted but I still lurk now and again. I do have something to share.

I came across a new Ruger Security 9 for $190 (used but never fired it appeared) and since I like my Ruger American 9mm, and the price was good I thought why not? Well today the family had a shooting day and I got to shoot a few things. This security 9 is neat, and I like it a lot. It shot a soccer ball at 15 yards with most in the softball range. So the gun is more accurate than I. $190 was a good deal and I would recommend it at that price and even more. I think they are around $250-$275 and I think worth it and I think Ruger has a winner with this one. Well worth the monies. I need to decide which I like better the American or the Security 9.

Ruger-Security-9-3810-736676038107.jpg_1.jpg

Which brings me to the Canik TP9. I got it for $300 or so a while back and I also love this one as well. My son even shot it and says he loves it as well. Of course it is not his beloved SiG but for the money he thinks it is as good as the XD and just as accurate. If you get a chance, shoot one and you will see what I mean. I saw one at the range one day and talked with the guy and decided I would pick one up if the opportunity arrived and I am glad I did. It is really well made and comparable to an XD/MP/Glock for the most part and well less in price. I am not a big fan of Turkey but they make a decent striker handgun for the price. I might get one with the barrel extension if Congress ever gets their head out of their backside and passes the hearing protection act. Edit (Rural King has these for $289 right now. 7/14)

products-8cd1ee_abe84ec08d0f4b7cb7a79bac90fb3df1.png

Cobra .38 - Uh - this is inaccurate as heck, three folks shot it and all did not like it and no body hit anything near where they were aiming. It shoots high and left for some reason I think. I was telling them it is a 'close in' only thing but that did not deter them, none liked it. I have to agree it is not on my list of favorites. I guess it serves a purpose and for that it would work. I think one day I would like to try a bond arms one and see the difference which I assume is immense.

COB-CB38CR-2.jpg

The best for last...A while back the family stopped at Mishawaka (great store) and they had what I had been looking at for years. The GP100 with the 6" barrel and the grips that I like. My search was in my hands, finally. At the time I did not know it was 7 rounds until I looked and that made it a must have. So the boss agreed that it could be my fathers day gift and the store made me an acceptable deal (Matched internet price, military discount + transfer fee) and made the sale. I like dealing with them the few times I have been there. What a great selection they have.

46700-DEFAULT-l.jpg

So here is where it gets funny. The boss has shot my .44 Blackhawk once (with a .44 special even) and swore never again. I am ok with that. So this was a previous range trip but nonetheless I started with some .38 and was hitting exactly where I was shooting at 15 & 25 yards. Sweet. So I change to .357 and even more so, she just purrs and quickly became one of my favorites. So, I ask the boss to take a shot with her and she declines with the .44 memories and such, so I pull the wimp card out and she finally agrees. 7 rounds later, she is hitting what she is shooting at as well and is smiling. So then I drop the hammer and load the .357's and tell her and she freaks out and says NO! I double down on the wimp card and she begrudgingly falls for it and proceeds to shoot her. 7 shots later, I look over and she has commandeered my box of ammo and has now named my gun Sassy. I no longer own the gun. I can still borrow it when we go shooting.:rockwoot:

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Well congrats on gaining and losing a gun I guess. :):

357 out of a 6" GP100 is a blast. The gun is heavy enough to soak up the recoil and it speeds up the bullet enough to make very impressive punishing hits on steel plates.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well congrats on gaining and losing a gun I guess. :): 357 out of a 6" GP100 is a blast.

Yeah, its a joy seeing her have so much fun but its costly for ammo. Yes it is so heavy that shooting it accurately is easy for both of us. I will be looking to get her an SP101 at some point. Maybe then I can get mine back!:yesway:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What a great enjoyable story! All of them. :laugh:
    Love what you are doing with the Rugers. Ruger has been good to me.
    I love to buy guns of the same genre to find which fits the hand the best and which is more accurate with my eyes and hands.
    With the Security 9 and American 9, I have almost bought them a few times in the past, but I can buy them new for just a little more than what people are wanting used many times, so I just pass, or if the price is good, it sells quickly.
    I did pick up a new in the box, never shot Ruger EC9s for $180 in an estate sale and is the best pocket pistol.

I also picked up a Ruger SR9c, love the 10 and/or 17 round mags.
    I bought it from a member who installed a Galloway Precision kit 5, B locker spring, polished plunger/ striker indicator & a Ghost Rocket 3.5 trigger with over travel set during installation, which shortened the trigger pull, making it a smooth and crisp trigger.
    I paid more for it ($300) than I normally would since I was willing to pay to get the upgrades by the well-known seller: I knew his work and knew it was worth it.

I envy you with your wife enjoying "the hobby" with you.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Sounds like a fun range day. The next thing you need to let you better half try is a full size 1911 in 9mm. Talk about low recoil, cheap to shoot and lots of fun. That's what my better half has and she loves it.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Sounds like a fun range day. The next thing you need to let you better half try is a full size 1911 in 9mm. Talk about low recoil, cheap to shoot and lots of fun. That's what my better half has and she loves it.
    I have been thinking that as well. She shot a .380 one today and liked it but prefers 9mm. She shoots my .45s with no issues but after a few, she gets shaky so maybe a 9mm one is worth a shot. Costly if she doesn't like it but maybe I will.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    That's the one problem my wife has also. The heavy 1911 fatigues her small frame pretty easy. She likes my XDm 5.25 in 9mm too, as it's lighter, she just likes the trigger of the 1911 better.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I talked with her and she would not want a 1911 but she has only shot .45's so maybe I can get one in 1911 as I have always wanted one anyway.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the GP100. Hopefully she lets you enjoy it once in a while. I would gladly give any of my guns to my wife if she’d take up shooting. She’s gone out a couple of times but it has never really grabbed her.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Congrats on the GP100. Hopefully she lets you enjoy it once in a while. I would gladly give any of my guns to my wife if she’d take up shooting. She’s gone out a couple of times but it has never really grabbed her.

Yeah I know it is a good thing, but I KNEW once she named it, it was over........not a bad thing mind you but nonetheless...poof.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I own a security 9 and like it. Got it used but in like new condition for around 200. Great gun for the money.

I have 3 Caniks now and really like those. Also a great gun for the money. I can shoot them as well or better than guns I've paid twice as much for. I agree with your assessment that the Caniks compare favorably with the XD/M&P/Glock guns.

Top Bottom