• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Big gun. Big boom. Big cost per round. Big recoil. So big that even though I was ready for it, I doubled it! Good thing my buddy only loaded one round. After that 1st shot I was able to hang onto it and put rounds on target.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anyone have any experience with this monster? As bad on the hand as some say?

I've had one with the 8" barrel for several years.
    Saw one at a good price and bought it for a "toy".
    Teddy Kennedy was crying that civilians shouldn't be allowed to own them.
    That's half the fun of owning it! ;)

It's not that bad to shoot.
    It's heavier, so it kicks just a little more than my S&W 629 .44 magnum.

I got a shoulder holster for it awhile back.
    Funny to see the look on my friend's faces when I take my jacket off!

240sx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2019
    Fishers
    The price of ammo to feed it always
    kept me from purchasing one.
    I do own a redhawk 44mag which is fun to
    shoot though. Even my gf likes to shoot it

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The 500 magnum could be the cheapest gun to shoot that you would have the most fun with. One box of ammo would probably last most shooters a year or two, so even though it costs $3 per round, you are probably not going to want to put more than 5 rounds through it per range trip.

I have a 44 mag Redhawk and as much fun as it is to shoot, I don’t think I’ve put more than 250 rounds through it in a year.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Most of the ones I've seen for sale have had less than a box of ammo through them.

Every one I shot was actually relatively controllable, but the flinch factor was massive. Some nerds were having issues with "doubling" because the recoil impulse, if uncontrolled, would make their trigger finger slam around in the trigger guard and send off two, one at target, one sailing off god only knows where because of that. Anecdotal, haven't personally seen it, but forum knowledge says it has happened.

If you reload, it isn't that bad, but I would prefer the 460 because you can shoot .45 LC, .454 Casull, .460 Special and .460 Magnum, rather than .500 only shooting the Magnum and the exceedingly rare Special version.

The X frames are really accurate guns. I personally hit a torso sized steel target at 200 yards offhand with one, hitting with 3 of 5 shots, the other two landing REALLY close. Neat guns.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    A friend of mine has one that I've shot a few times. I found it to be very manageable. With the loads I shot(275 grain deer loads iirc) and the weight it was actually more pleasant to shoot than some .44 mags I've shot. With heavy loads, I'm sure it is a beast though.

I will also echo what DH posted, if I were to own one, I would prefer the .460 as it is a lot more versatile.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you want a 50 cal handgun I really think the desert eagle is the way to go. Yeah, it's quite a bit less power than a 500 magnum, but it's so much more comfortable to shoot than about any other big bore out there. The downside is, you'll enjoy shooting it so much, you'll end up remortgaging your house to feed it.

boatswainsmate

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2014
    Howard County
    I have the John Ross version. It's a handful with stout loads. I bruised my hand once shooting to many rounds at once. Shooting 400+ grain bullets with massive amounts of BLC2 isn't too bad. It's when I use CFE Black that things get real snappy.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have one, it is fun to shoot but is a handful. Mine doesn't kick as bad as my 454 casual (Super Redhawk). That's probably because of the extra weight and venting.

Top Bottom