New Shadow 2, 10+ FTE in 400 Rounds. Is It Me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Took my new Shadow 2. First rounds fired were at USPSA. First stage went fine, stages 2 and 3 I had more than 5 failure to extract. At least 2 of which the round was still fully seated in the barrel.

At first i thought it was me. Maybe I was limp wristing or something because stages 4 and on were completely fine and I made a conscious effort to choke up on the grip.

Last night I went to the range to train for a bit. Shot 200 rounds. Started fine but after the first hundred rounds I had a couple more FTE. shown below

Keep in mind, some of the first FTE were still fully seated. These were 200 rounds later and looked like they got a little further out.

I am unable to recreate the issue. Even trying to limp wrist or hold it weird or put pressure on the slide with my off hand.

The USPSA match all I had done is oil it heavily. The training time the only difference is I had wiped the oil out of the rails and used a gun grease with PTFE in it

I doubt the mags have anything to do with it but I know for sure one of these was with factory mags. The other could have factory or mecgar, not sure

Is this something I need to call CZ about? I've never had a handgun that functioned poorly out of the box and have always been confident that if I change parts I could always go back to stock and be 100% reliable.

Full album
    https://imgur.com/a/cy8URM5

2GqEPln.jpg

E3PUrrt.jpg

dt7Dlcu.jpg

DRk63HU.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Just so anyone responding knows, from your other thread, you stripped the gun, cleaned and lubed it when you first got it.

I don't recall any failures with my Shadow 2 or hearing of others having problems with theirs on INGO. FWIW, I run mine fairly wet. I tend to over lube guns.

If no one here or on the CZ Forum come up with a quick fix, I would start a conversation with CZ.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    Factory loads? Or reloads?

I've ran into this situation in the past with reloads. If you are using reloads, make sure they all plunk in the barrel chamber.

What I've seen cause this problem, isthe crimp isnt set properly. So the reloaded case has too big of diameter at the case mouth. When the round Is loaded in the chamber. The slide forces the round fully in the chamber. The round goes off but the empty case is jammed in the chamber. Then the extractor loses grip of case before its fully extracted.

Or this can happen with a chamber that needs finished reamed. Which is highly unlikely to be the case with a CZ barrel!

Last edited:

IsThatLegal?

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2017
    Whitestown
    I have not had any problems with either of my shadow 2s and have been shooting CO in USPSA for about a year. I dont clean them much and basically only oil the slide. Have shot factory loads and hand loads. No problems with any of them. I would suggest a dialogue with CZ.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Thanks for the validation on that. For a firearm that I've always seen perform before now, to get my own and be disappointed like this was upsetting.

I will call CZ tomorrow and see what they say.

Still open to suggestions though. I don't know much about CZ's but I'm pretty sure the extractor shouldn't need "tuned". I could maybe swap for a factory extractor spring.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    Extractor doesn't need tuned..
    The extractor pivots on the pin that holds it in place and uses a small coil spring. Similar to the setup on an ar bolt!

Could be possible that the extractor tip is rounded or broke. Which could cause it to loose grip on the case. Or the spring is broken or weak.

You could chamber check your factory round to see if it plucks. If it doesn't then chances are that the chamber was reamed too tight. And would need to go back to CZ

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Ah crap I forgot to say I'm shooting g straight up federal ammo bought from Walmart. Always goes bang in my G34

Might be worth it to try some different ammo

Walmart Federal 115 grain is the worst ammo I've ever seen as far as the lead wanting to walk out of the brass in my revolver. Shooting an 8 shot 929 I've had rounds walk completely out after firing the first 5 or so in the clip. Shoots fine in my 1911 so I will burn it there and not replace it.

I would definitely try different ammo before getting worried, although if you are having lead push back or walk out that should have been evident.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    I also agree trying different ammo. Especially if it fails the plunk test with the federal. Could be a bad batch of ammo that's not sized to spec.

To test the extractor spring. Place a dummy round in the slide up under the extractor. The extractor should hold onto the round with a light shake. If it falls out then could be extractor or extractor spring problem.

Also inspect the hook of the extractor for any damage or rounding

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Extractor doesn't need tuned..
    The extractor pivots on the pin that holds it in place and uses a small coil spring. Similar to the setup on an ar bolt!

Could be possible that the extractor tip is rounded or broke. Which could cause it to loose grip on the case. Or the spring is broken or weak.

You could chamber check your factory round to see if it plucks. If it doesn't then chances are that the chamber was reamed too tight. And would need to go back to CZ

When you say chamber check do you mean to manually cycle it? I did that once last night and it pulled about 6 rounds in a row. I wasn't looking closely though so maybe I'll do that and pay closer attention.

Could this be a break-in thing? It sounds like that's not the case since everyone is surprised by it. It would just really bother me to have to send it off. In my experience it could be months waiting on a warranty repair for a firearm

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I also agree trying different ammo. Especially if it fails the plunk test with the federal. Could be a bad batch of ammo that's not sized to spec.

To test the extractor spring. Place a dummy round in the slide up under the extractor. The extractor should hold onto the round with a light shake. If it falls out then could be extractor or extractor spring problem.

Also inspect the hook of the extractor for any damage or rounding

Ah I see. Thank you!

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    Chamber check I ment to say plunk test.

Remove barrel and insert loaded round. It needs to plunk and spin freely when its fully inserted. If not then the round or chamber is not to sammi spec!

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Thanks for the validation on that. For a firearm that I've always seen perform before now, to get my own and be disappointed like this was upsetting.

I will call CZ tomorrow and see what they say.

Still open to suggestions though. I don't know much about CZ's but I'm pretty sure the extractor shouldn't need "tuned". I could maybe swap for a factory extractor spring.

Does it currently have the factory spring? Your statement leaves this in doubt.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Interesting concept that came up while googling.

Someone mentioned rounds not fully seated in the magazine correctly and once he made sure they were all the way back and "seated" this stopped happening.

At least one of my mags is a b*tch to load full and it is possible some of the rounds sit a little bit forward in the mag.

Now here's the question: is it possible that if a round is sitting too far forward the nose could impact the shell to be ejected and put enough pressure on it to hold it in place or cause the gun to not fully eject it?

I notice to S2 has a feed ramp on the barrel and I'm wondering if this could co tribute to what I'm describing as well (as in the nose hitting the feed ramp when the slide slides back and when pushing against the feed ramp causes the nose to go high enough to touch the spent casing causing enough pressure to mess up the ejection)

Just an idea based on someone else describing the same issue. If it is possible then the solution is literally just tapping the mags to "set" the rounds.

Wanted to put it to the INGO guys. What do you think? Possible or bullsh*t?

P.S. I have seen multiple recommendations for a lighter recoil spring to solve this issue. I don't understand all the mechanics behind why to go lighter but, even if that solves the issue, I still want to call CZ because my pistol should be 100% reliable in stock condition

Top Bottom