• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    First of all, I just want to thank everyone for sharing so much great information in these forums. I just started shooting about 7 years ago and have learned so much just by reading this site. I'm thankful to everyone that contributes. Now that being said...

I recently scratched the itch and bought a new Ruger Security 9. I love the way if feels in my hand, love the way it shoots, so overall love the gun. I just have one minor issue with it and that is when I go to eject a live round, like to unload it, many times the live round will get stuck in the ejection port. Spent cases eject with no problem but I've had this problem with FMJ's as well as JHP's. If I forceably retract the slide it doesn't happen as often but does still occasionally happen. I'm tempted to just file away a little of the metal around the ejection port but don't want to void the warranty. So before I call Ruger and send it in, I thought I would see if anyone else has run into that problem and how y'all handled it.

Have a great day everyone!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Don't file it.

Pistols are meant to be worked hard. You can't see the slide go back and forth when you shoot. You won't hurt the pistol by racking it vigorously. So just drop the mag, keep the pistol pointed down range or in a safe direction, and rack it good. See if holding the pistol straight up and down or maybe tilted slightly to the right helps.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Sounds like a feature not a bug. If it doesn't malfunction under live fire then don't worry about it

^^^ What he said ^^^

The handgun is working as intended. The gun was never designed to eject live rounds, even though it does have to happen occasionally. I suggest that when you want to eject a live round, just drop the mag, pull back on the slide and let the live round fall through the magwell.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    ^^^ What he said ^^^

The handgun is working as intended. The gun was never designed to eject live rounds, even though it does have to happen occasionally. I suggest that when you want to eject a live round, just drop the mag, pull back on the slide and let the live round fall through the magwell.

Well, except in the case where you are clearing some kind of malfunction (gun goes click not bang, clear the round without dropping the mag, or do a tap, rack, bang) and then it may be critical to try it without dropping the mag. That said, I believe OP said if he racks it with force it will eject. Given that, I'd maybe make sure I was racking it with enough force to do so.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Like mentend I would try holding it strigbt up and down (although it should work but gravity is your friend) and see if that's it. You didn't mention reloads but if so Some USPSA shooters back in the day had issues with loaded 40 rounds but that was because they often ran 200 grain at or over OAL so loaded rou da hit the hood trying to come out. They always had that jiggle wrist thing going at the unload and show clear command.

If it's really recurring issue call Ruger. If you send it I. It should be no more than 7 days drive. Rime you send it to get it back.

Good luck

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Sorry, forgot to mention that it is all Winchester White Box and Federal Eagle target ammo.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom