• ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Shot placement. Hope the range time was in there. Otherwise, hide your berries and pick-a-nick basket.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I fired some 147 out of my 43 last range trip. Recoil was bad! Sticking with 124 from now on. Seems to be the sweet spot. The 115 were also agressive but the 147 was downright hard to hang onto. Couldnt imagine a 147 in plus P.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I fired some 147 out of my 43 last range trip. Recoil was bad! Sticking with 124 from now on. Seems to be the sweet spot. The 115 were also agressive but the 147 was downright hard to hang onto. Couldnt imagine a 147 in plus P.

I run 147gr HST's in my G43, the same as my G19. I don't notice the recoil is much different than the 140gr power factor reloads that I shoot for everything but self defense. :dunno:

I don't recall which mag I shot the 147gr HST's out of last. Could be the one's with the +2 extensions? Maybe the extension length and additional weight make a difference? Maybe the rubber Talon grip makes a difference?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/de...tols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/

This isn't a ton of data, but it's worth reading, and it probably should support your "I think I'll be ok"

Yeah, we discussed that article a bit in a couple of other threads (or at least it was posted). It's an interesting analysis and tends to support the idea that typical handguns may be far more effective in this context than we might think. It's based on 37 incidents the authors were able to track down since 1987.

It may not look like a ton of data, but it probably represents a significant sample of the population since I don't think there are a ton of bear attacks.

(It's a bit of a guess, since I only know of stats on fatal attacks. No idea how many non-fatal attacks there are.)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I read that article and many others before hiking through AK. You'll want to swap out your self defense hollow point loads for FMJ or hard cast lead bullets - HSM Bear Load or Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman makes a 9mm version.

Lotta info on their page along with the story behind this gent's life saving shots...

PhilShoemaker.jpg

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I run 147gr HST's in my G43, the same as my G19. I don't notice the recoil is much different than the 140gr power factor reloads that I shoot for everything but self defense. :dunno:

I don't recall which mag I shot the 147gr HST's out of last. Could be the one's with the +2 extensions? Maybe the extension length and additional weight make a difference? Maybe the rubber Talon grip makes a difference?

Some extra extended mags and Talon grip is on my grocery list. I think both those items would help me out. Right now it's like recoiling bar of slippery hand soap.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some extra extended mags and Talon grip is on my grocery list. I think both those items would help me out. Right now it's like recoiling bar of slippery hand soap.

I shoot the 9 or 12 round ETS clear mags for competition. (YMMV on ETS, some hate them.) The local steel match director making a "micro carry" division was a huge deal for me to learn the nuances of recoil management with my G43.

I would advise everyone to go shoot steel competitions with your carry guns. Especially with the compact guns, whether there is a special division or you shoot it in production division, learning recoil management is paramount. 2nd, 3rd and so on shots speak for themselves, as you cannot afford to be repositioning your grip after each shot. Even the first round fired is less likely to be as accurate as you'd like, if you are fighting to hold the gun.

Strong support hand grip with thumb forward on the frame is very important to keep the G43 down.

Top Bottom