• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I'm not a gun enthusiast - I own a few handguns and a rifle. I enjoy shooting and carry for self defense. My rifle serves the home defense purpose quite nicely.

Today, I decided to stop in to the LGS to see what's new since my last purchase a few years back. I was previously in the market for an SBR - but never felt like applying for a stamp. I just learned that DD (and I'm sure, so many others do as well) makes a pistol: https://danieldefense.com/mk18-pistol-law-tactical-02-088-22038.html that looked to be very similar to what I would want in an SBR.

To those who know - is there an advantage to going the SBR route, versus the Pistol route? To the untrained eye, they seem to be the 'same' as far as functionality.. What am I missing?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A shoulder stock always give you a steadier platform. As a broomhandle Mauser collector I can say that first shots are more accurate as well as follow up shots.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I wish I hadn't have built an SBR. The travel across state lines ATF permission slip problems popped up when I started attending events in KY.

Last edited:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    A shoulder stock always give you a steadier platform. As a broomhandle Mauser collector I can say that first shots are more accurate as well as follow up shots.

I can see that - the Pistol had a brace that I could push into my shoulder tightly when extended and still get a good sight picture..

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have a krinkov sbr because it is super cool. My tricked out mini draco with folding brace is at least 90% as effective at a third of the cost.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Here's a video that does a decent job of laying out the differences between the two, along with some common considerations and pros and cons of each.

[video=youtube_share;toO9OKw3tHI]http://youtu.be/toO9OKw3tHI[/video]

A lot of folks that know they want to do an SBR, start with a pistol first, that way they have something to play with while waiting for the tax stamp. Plus you can avoid those interstate travel issues Hop mentioned.

The downside is that you have to invest in a second lower along with the tax stamp.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I don't have any "pistol" versions of anything.
    I do have some SBRs and SBSs. I love them all. Retractable, folding and fixed stocks and I can't get enough of them. I don't ever need to worry about length of anything or vertical grips or any of that other nonsense again.

Solid sturdy stocks beat silly flimsy "arm braces" any day.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Both. Atf is very wishy washy with their determinations on all things pistol. They are one opinion letter away from making braces illegal.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I agree with "both". I have 1 SBR and love it. Stable and fun to shoot. I also have a pistol lower. I have a shockwave blade and a standard padded pistol buffer tube for it. If the 'braces' ever go the way of the dodo then I still have the padded tube, unless they outlaw the entire configuration. I never really cared for VFG or folding stocks on an AR so I don't have to worry about those.

For me it makes sense to have both. I don't travel with the SBR. I do on occasion throw the AR pistol in the truck though. Right now I live 2 miles from Ohio. Road construction pushes me into Ohio to go into town. Well, I could avoid going that way but it's not worth it. Avoiding it would mean a 3 mile detour down a winding road with several farms that have dogs that chase you into the road vs the 1 mile detour that's a straight smooth road. The state line splits the town in half, so crossing the street or filling up at a different gas station puts you in Ohio anyway.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Thanks!

Here's a video that does a decent job of laying out the differences between the two, along with some common considerations and pros and cons of each.

[video=youtube_share;toO9OKw3tHI]http://youtu.be/toO9OKw3tHI[/video]

A lot of folks that know they want to do an SBR, start with a pistol first, that way they have something to play with while waiting for the tax stamp. Plus you can avoid those interstate travel issues Hop mentioned.

The downside is that you have to invest in a second lower along with the tax stamp.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Pistols are not designed to be shoulder fired. Braces are not comfortable or stable for anything but incidental shouldering. SBR comes with pains when it comes to interstate travel, but they are shoulder fired rifles and worth the stamp imo. Good Pistol braces can cost more than a stamp and a stock combined. I don't see any real monetary gain in either direction.

For those that fear registry, if you have filled out a 4473 in the last 20 years the feds can look you up. They are actively hunting down people that purchased a braced shotgun that the atf recently decided was an sbs now. I fully expect more brace rulings to roll out. So stay current and stay legal and write your congressmen

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Pistols are not designed to be shoulder fired. Braces are not comfortable or stable for anything but incidental shouldering. SBR comes with pains when it comes to interstate travel, but they are shoulder fired rifles and worth the stamp imo. Good Pistol braces can cost more than a stamp and a stock combined. I don't see any real monetary gain in either direction.

For those that fear registry, if you have filled out a 4473 in the last 20 years the feds can look you up. They are actively hunting down people that purchased a braced shotgun that the atf recently decided was an sbs now. I fully expect more brace rulings to roll out. So stay current and stay legal and write your congressmen

Where are you finding your information on the ATF reversal of the shotgun brace being a SBS?

I have not seen that one and am ever trying to keep up the ATF tides.

Thanks

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've got both also. I just put a lot more money into the SBR.
    I like them both very much but the tax stamp, along with the new braces have me wishing I just went pistol.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Where are you finding your information on the ATF reversal of the shotgun brace being a SBS?

I have not seen that one and am ever trying to keep up the ATF tides.

Thanks

Last week I testified in a Federal court case involving stolen guns and felon in possession. I was around several ATF agents during that time and I asked what new guidance, if any, have they received about pistol braces. The agent I asked said, "something just came across my desk the other day, but it's only for shotguns. I haven't really looked at it yet."

So there is something official out there and being communicated to the field, but I don't have specifics.

He also said, "I have a lot more important stuff to worry about. I couldn't care less about braces."

So there's that.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I’m a big fan of the sba3 brace, about as close to a stock as you can get

Have you tried the SBA4 ? The extra angled pieces at the bottom make the rear surface much more solid.

cNRzotQ.jpg

Top Bottom