• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harmonyaudio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Just wanted to know what members are thinking about this gun. Been out there for a while, was it a good choice for our troops? What think ye?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just wanted to know what members are thinking about this gun. Been out there for a while, was it a good choice for our troops? What think ye?

Have had my M17s for some time now. Enjoy them. Have Gray Guns trigger in one, very nice. I wish safety was bigger but can live with it.

Was hard to find mags as Big Army was gobbling them all up. Pipeline is now steady.

I see no reason to switch from M9 but those decisions are above me. Handgun is such a minor part of TOundE that it does not matter. Personally I would have no problem with PODA standard but then I don't make those decisions.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Good guns. Everyone I've touched was well made, reliable and accurate. I picked up an M17 recently and it sits in my bedside safe for bumps in the night. No issues, no problems. The wackos will be along shortly to scream about MIM and India, I'm sure...

As Kirk said: Pistols sure aren't the main arm of the military. Heck, even infantry weapons in general aren't the war winners. It's logistics, close air support, artillery, vehicle weapons, etc... Infantry arms come in last in terms of what wins a war, pistols being a REALLY close last. Personally think that truck drivers, medics, etc... would have been better suited with PDWs rather than pistols, but who cares what I think. :D Nothing wrong with the M9s, but some brass (now likely with a fat contract with an arms manufacturer) convinced the armed services they required modular pistols to crush the Russians/Chinese/(insert America's next military quagmire here).

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The M9’s are getting wore out the last one I was issued had a nice silver gray color!
    Other factors that fed the decision we have more than the M9 in service the M11 (P228) and varieties of Glock can also be witnessed. It makes sense to adopt a modular system that can adapt to different roles.
    A pistol is a sidearm most Soldiers do not carry them and they are considered defensive firearms so I concur with DH and Kirk pistols are not a priority. In many units the CO,XO,1SG are the only ones issued a pistol so it really depends on what type of unit you land in and your MOS if a Soldier is issued or even trained on a pistol.

BTW
    In 24 years my pistol left it’s holster twice.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The M9’s are getting wore out the last one I was issued had a nice silver gray color!

Hear me out, I know this is crazy and may violate several dozen Army regs, but what if . . . we just bought more M9s?

tenor.gif

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    I don't own an M17 but I have owned two P320s for years now, a compact 9 mm and a full-size .45 ACP. I see no reason that the P320 will not serve our armed forces very well.

Having said that, the P320 is a polymer-frame, striker-fired pistol in a sea of similar pistols and other choices would doubtless also have served as well. I do think that the three different sizes of grip modules for the P320 allow for a much better fit to hand than the interchangeable back straps of Glocks and other pistols.

I also own a Beretta 92FS and a couple of model 1911 A1s, so I really don't have any dogs in that fight. The Beretta was one of the first auto-loading pistols I owned, and it has long been one of my favorites. But the Beretta is a large, heavy pistol that no longer offers any magazine capacity advantage over pistols like the M17, M18. The Beretta grip is chunky, and the pistol can be problematical for those with smaller hands trying to deal with the double-action trigger. I think it was inevitable that the armed forces were going to go with a lighter, polymer-framed pistol that was cheaper to produce, and a striker-action pistol with a simpler manual of arms than the DA/SA Beretta at some point in time. This seems to me to be as good a time to do that as any, and investing in a more modern design makes more sense IMO than buying more Berettas.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Hear me out, I know this is crazy and may violate several dozen Army regs, but what if . . . we just bought more M9s?

tenor.gif

ok hear ME out...what if the army just bought a less expensive gun that was just as reliable BUT either saved the taxpayers money OR allowed the government to spend the same total contract amount, and buy MORE pistols!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    You just want me to say "Get a Glock!"

I literally am lol'ing right now!!!!!

I have 2 p320's and 3 glocks (2-19's and a 21), and in the past month, ive carried a p320, and a glock 19!(because I couldn't find the holster for my 320), knowing the "mentality" of some military people (not ALL!!!) and the fact that I love my 320's more than my glocks! don't tell anyone this (especially anyone who knows me!)...I might have to agree with you!, imho, glocks are the perfect gun for police, military, crayon eaters, slack jawed bogger eating morons, and just about any other opposed thumb primate that tries to pound square pegs into round holes!

NO OFFENSE TO GLOCK OWNERS!!!!!!!!, but theres a reason why they're the chosen weapon of police and military's around the world, they're idiot proof!, its almost impossible to make a glock not go bang when you put your bogger hook on the bang switch!

tbh the only troublesome glocks I see are the ones that people futz with!, change springs, triggers, bubba up the street trigger jobs and so on...we had a guy at a steel challenge match who couldn't get thru a string on a stage without at least one jam, yep, you guessed it, he'd futzed with his glock 34, hell I futzed with one of mine and was getting double taps (it was fun, but I had to "unfutz" it)

in my closing statements to the jury (get the lawyer reference!, lol) i'd like to state that while i'm happy the government chose the p320, i'd like to think that the glock would have been just as good!

vuman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Cumberland
    I am looking into getting one myself. I have heard that the Gen 1s had safety issues but the Gen 2s were great. 1. is there any truth to that? 2. If so, How can you tell the difference between gen1 and gen 2?

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I am looking into getting one myself. I have heard that the Gen 1s had safety issues but the Gen 2s were great. 1. is there any truth to that? 2. If so, How can you tell the difference between gen1 and gen 2?

The difference is visible on the trigger and under the slide. This page explains it all:
    https://www.sigsauer.com/support/p320-voluntary-upgrade/

If you do end up with a gen 1 Sig will "upgrade" it for you free of charge. They did it with mine and I have no complaints.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Thanks good info to have. I'm interested in the X-Compact myself.

the xcompact was introduced after the safety upgrade, so they're all good to go

the p320 Romeo, the 320x5, and the newly introduced 320x5 legion, and the p320 m17, were all introduced after the safety upgrade

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    the xcompact was introduced after the safety upgrade, so they're all good to go

the p320 Romeo, the 320x5, and the newly introduced 320x5 legion, and the p320 m17, were all introduced after the safety upgrade

Yep, sounded like it from the video. At one point I was contemplating trying to piece one together, but probably not at this point. Though, I'm not sure I really care about the optic cut at this time, but I'm sure that would change if I got to shoot one with an optic on it.

I was not at all interested in the 320's when they were first introduced due to the whole drop safety issue (or Sig in general before I bought a 365), but seems like they have definitely made some improvements.

If the X-compact was eligible for the current rebate, I'd probably grab one sooner than later.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Yep, sounded like it from the video. At one point I was contemplating trying to piece one together, but probably not at this point. Though, I'm not sure I really care about the optic cut at this time, but I'm sure that would change if I got to shoot one with an optic on it.

I was not at all interested in the 320's when they were first introduced due to the whole drop safety issue (or Sig in general before I bought a 365), but seems like they have definitely made some improvements.

If the X-compact was eligible for the current rebate, I'd probably grab one sooner than later.

the current rebate 200 in online store credit is for legions only (its 100 for the 239 and 938 legions) on the promotions tab it doesn't list the 320 legion, but if you click the link it says the p320 legion is eligible but you have to buy it by the end of the month, and good luck with that! ive been looking and the distributors we buy from and no 320 legions are in stock anywhere!

ive got a Romeo1 (3moa dot) on a 320 full size, and I kinda like It, sig makes a mounting kit where you remove the rear sight and replace it with an adaptor where you just screw on the Romeo if your slide isn't machined for optics, and that's what I have on mine, the sight was on ale at Christmas time for 199 from sig sauer, but the adaptor will only take Romeo sights, the xcompact will take the delta point sight also, ive got a couple of small red dot sights, as of yet, i'm still not confident in my ability to use one on a carry pistol, on target or competition guns im ok with that, that might change when I get more experience with them

vuman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Cumberland

I absolutely love the P365. I hope the p320 is just as good.

Top Bottom