So, what floats your boat in the summer of 2019?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    As a self diagnosed ‘Gun Nut’, I tend to wander a bit in what I’m into at any given time. I love all things firearms related but there are times when I kind of get bored with what I have and delve into areas that I’m unfamiliar with. This summer, it’s been wheel guns in general but have branched a bit into other old Smith and Wesson’s.

I’ve recently picked up a Smith and Wesson Model 13 that despite only having about 120 rounds shot in the last couple of days, has really grabbed me. It’s a 3” K frame. Earlier this spring, I picked up a 4” 581 that’s been getting shot a bunch too. I don’t know why, but these old Smiths just make me smile when I’m at the range with them.

I’ve also added a 4006 TSW ex-CHP gun that’s proving to be a lot of fun too, but it’s still the wheel guns that I’m really digging.

So, INGO faithful, anything new finding it’s way into your safe this summer? Shooting anything different than normal?

f7f9b1947db32a74330f1eb3f85d81c5.jpg

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A mutual enabler got me back on revolvers. I’ve been quite smitten with my Model 60-4 and 686 SSR. Turns out S&W wheelies are a temporary cure for the Rimfire Madness.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    A couple odd ones found it's way into the safe this summer. I picked up a S.P.A.S.12 Italian entry shot gun and an 1800's Colt lightning black powder cartridge rifle, both from INGO members. The S.P.A.S. will launch smoke or shot in pump action, and will go semiautomatic for shot loads. The lightning is a companion rifle for the old colt revolvers, sharing the same ammunition. I also dove into the 1911 pool this summer and bought a few from INGO members. And a first gen Jetfire in original case from an INGO member. It's the one without a safety and not many imported here.

I need to quit thinking about it. Or I'll think of some more.

And a Python frame Colt from an INGO member.
    And a CZ convertible from a member.

And I don't cruze the classies. Maybe once a month if that.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Added to the CZ collection.
    Picked up 2 of the sweetest out of the box 1911's I have ever bought. Standard Manf. and people I love them.
    Got sucked into the Rimfire madness thing.....:):

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Ok, I admit it, I have a problem.
    I also picked up two 8 3/8 S&W 357's, one blue one stainless. About 5 Glocks, 2 in color. A one of 350 Colt desert tan LE6920. Interesting story on that one. They were going to be exported to South Africa but the Department of State denied the export permit because South Africa was supplying our rifles to Yemen. My colt distributor in Seymour got all of them. I also got an unissued G23 fish gill from him. He had 2 and auctioned the other one on Gunbroker. Then there's the unified Colt A2 restricted.

Should I be in some kind of support group?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok, I admit it, I have a problem.
    I also picked up two 8 3/8 S&W 357's, one blue one stainless. About 5 Glocks, 2 in color. A one of 350 Colt desert tan LE6920. Interesting story on that one. They were going to be exported to South Africa but the Department of State denied the export permit because South Africa was supplying our rifles to Yemen. My colt distributor in Seymour got all of them. I also got an unissued G23 fish gill from him. He had 2 and auctioned the other one on Gunbroker. Then there's the unified Colt A2 restricted.

Should I be in some kind of support group?

I am a member in excellent standing with the 1911 anonomouse group locally.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I don’t know why, but these old Smiths just make me smile when I’m at the range with them.

A Smith revolver was the first handgun I ever owned 30+ years ago and they still make me smile at the range! They are one of the few centerfire handguns I can sometimes shoot almost as well as my rimfire target pistols.

As to shooting something different than normal my recently acquired Glock 48 has seen a lot of range time in the past few months. And my Ruger Charger with KIDD barrel that has seldom been fired in the 8 years was taken out just today.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The hand sits higher up on a revolver, more in line with the barrel and reducing tip up. So yes, they're more accurate by design.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    A Sauer & Sons with WWII markings. This one has a safety by the grip, and a cocker decocker in front of the trigger guard. It's hammerless. It will decock the chambered round, or recock it. Also helped out by a member.

A Smith and Wesson 745 IPSC 10th anniversary in the box, 2000 made.

And I bought back my wife's S&W 901 sold out from under her by her son. And he gave me some silver bullets he reloaded. A very nice gift. They keep vampires away, so it's ironically fitting.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    For me this summer it's been all about NRL22 matches with my Kidd based rifle and I've continued to enjoy Steel Challenge matches with a CZ Shadow 2 and an AR9.

More about shooting than acquiring. It's been fun getting to know a few guns well rather than taking something different to every range trip.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    All things shooting floats my boat this summer. Two months ago I started shooting for the first time in my life (if you don't count one outing hunting when I was 11 and BB guns as a kid).

So, I now own 5 guns and have a lifetime LTCH. Ruger Mark IV Target, Glock 17 Gen 4, M&P Performance Center Shield 9mm, M&P .22 Compact (it's for sale) and the latest addition - a Ruger 10/22 carbine with the wooden stock.

I have begun shooting in competitions. I've done Steel Challenge and Outlaw Steel in the rimfire pistol iron sights division. I'm going to try USPSA this Sunday with my Glock 17 and will be doing a Rimfire Challenge in August.

As a person with lots of life experience (old fart sounds less distinguished), it's nice to be learning something new and doing things I never thought I would.

The best thing about all of this is all of the great people I have met in person and online.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Wife and I got the mortgage paid off just before Thanksgiving, and I've been on the fence about whether to get a double stack 2011 or an FNX-45 as my celebration gift to myself. I mean, of course I'm going to get both... just a question of which one to get first. Finally went ahead and got the FNX, I'll post some pics with the RMR in the plastic-fantastic tread when they get here.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have been eyeballing a 2011 really hard lately, specifically the STI Stocatto P , kinda salty the optics mounting system is an extra $500 though.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I am a .40 Glock fan boy, so when a great deal on a 3rd gen Glock-17, in 9mm came along on Gunbroker.com, I jumped on it.
    I got it last week, and took it to the range the same day, and was pleased as how it appeared "as new", and how it was very accurate for me.
    I almost worry that sending it back to Glock for night sights would somehow change point of impact, but if Jenkins doesn't have its annual "Glock Days" soon, I will have to send it in.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom