Has the S&W M&P handgun become less popular?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have 2 of them and have had them since they were the new offering from S&W. I've noticed at the classes and competitions I've been to this summer I'm one of very few if not the only one still using one?
    Vickers carbine class- I was only one, 2 gun last weekend- only one in my squad but didn't see the 1 other squad, I didn't see any at FNS last time, none at a couple social shoots with 10+ people there... I can't remember the last time I saw even a couple people with one at a shooting event.
    I feel like I'm the last one at the party to figure out it is over. :):

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I havent been shooting much lately, but I hope so. I've been wanting one for a long while. Maybe I'll catch a great deal on one...I love how they feel and shoot. Just havent found the right deal.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I think in competitions, people are running a bit more specialty guns which tend to be CZ, 1911, 2011, Sig, etc.

As for classes, I think Glock still dominates the market.

I was always a Glock guy until I realized that I shoot M&Ps WAY better and they have a natural point of aim for me. Only thing is the horrible hinged trigger. Luckily, there are a few quality drop in trigger replacements available for M&P line.

Now my EDC is a M&P 9 2.0 Compact :)

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I still see them at the range. They are just not the current popular thing anymore. Now everyone wants a glock with a comp and red dot.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Sorry we disagree on that. That horrible hinged trigger doesn't bite my trigger finger like a Glock does.

(Only thing is the horrible hinged trigger. Luckily, there are a few quality drop in trigger replacements available for M&P line.)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I think in competitions, people are running a bit more specialty guns which tend to be CZ, 1911, 2011, Sig, etc.

I was always a Glock guy until I realized that I shoot M&Ps WAY better and they have a natural point of aim for me. Only thing is the horrible hinged trigger. Luckily, there are a few quality drop in trigger replacements available for M&P line.

I can see that logic for sure. The M&P is a good gun for pretty much all of it but maybe not the best for any individual category. If it is a duty/ carry gun then you are looking at the same features/market as Glock which is the big gorilla in the room for a reason.

I still see them at the range. They are just not the current popular thing anymore. Now everyone wants a glock with a comp and red dot.

Larry Vickers mentioned that red dots on pistols are going to be pretty common place very soon. He is forecasting this as not just a fad but eventually will be the new normal.

Yes, of course. There have been no blockbuster movies to feature it like Avengers, 2012.

Get the guns in the movies, that drives sales. Smith marketing needs to be taking technical advisors to strip clubs.

Smith & Wesson M&P - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

I know when I bought mine I wanted to be a super hero and started throwing out "MF'er" as a common use adjective. When I found myself shopping for eye patches I got help. I'm so easily persuaded.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know when I bought mine I wanted to be a super hero and started throwing out "MF'er" as a common use adjective. When I found myself shopping for eye patches I got help. I'm so easily persuaded

If only there were evidence for saying that television and movies heavily influence the gun culture. If only.

If only someone wrote a book about how gun makers use bribes, steak dinners and tall blondes to sell guns, if only:

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-Americas-Paul-M-Barrett/dp/0307719952

If only we saw evidence of entire shooting sports being created by television, if only:

https://sassnet.com/

If only we knew what drove sales of the M&P around 2012, if only:

144739-1532336916.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

I had a guy at a recent range day that was shooting and M&P...

For me, these two are related.
    At the range session obijohn is referring to I got to shoot other people's handguns and quickly realized something. I can take a nice (but not totally tricked out race gun) gun that has more mass (metal/ inertia) and shoot it SO much better than my own gun. I shot several of the other handguns better the first time than I was shooting my own. I need to branch out. I haven't had the funds to be a collector and haven't been looking at anything else for a long time. I may have to change that.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I just bought an M&P 9c last week....So far I am loving it...The local Sportsman's Warehouse had the Shield on sale for $219.00 with $30.00 off due to their grand opening....almost got one but decided against it, mostly to size and capacity....The 9c is 12+1 and size is between the Shield and 2.0...perfect for me and still concealable....I am not really a "got to have the latest and greatest" guy, I research and get what I think fits for me....The M&P 9c fits the bill so I am perfectly content (at least for now)…..

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have one that was a police trade in.
    It was a .40SW and I got the OEM S&W .357 Sig barrel and swapped the barrel.
    It's a sweet shooting pistol, that I carried for a time.
    I also find it has a better natural aim than a Glock.
    I still have it.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I havent been shooting much lately, but I hope so. I've been wanting one for a long while. Maybe I'll catch a great deal on one...I love how they feel and shoot. Just havent found the right deal.

The 2.0's have been run on some ridiculously low sale prices already, and had some rebates (ammo, mags, etc). Just sayin, if you want one, watch the sales and pick one up.

It is a great gun at a great price.

I personally think the recent wave of new Glock models, new Sig models, etc has probably pushed into the sales of the 2.0 (at least among people into guns such as many INGO'ers), but that said for the price, they are pretty hard to beat.

When I'm not carrying a P365, I'm carrying a 2.0 Compact 4" model... and I have left the Glocks in the safe for a while now.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The 2.0's have been run on some ridiculously low sale prices already, and had some rebates (ammo, mags, etc). Just sayin, if you want one, watch the sales and pick one up.

It is a great gun at a great price.

I personally think the recent wave of new Glock models, new Sig models, etc has probably pushed into the sales of the 2.0 (at least among people into guns such as many INGO'ers), but that said for the price, they are pretty hard to beat.

When I'm not carrying a P365, I'm carrying a 2.0 Compact 4" model... and I have left the Glocks in the safe for a while now.

I have noticed this, I'd love to have a shield and a full size but I'm trying to save for a house so... :(

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    At the Guardian Match in Lake City Mi a couple weeks ago they had a stage with a tricked out M&P with trijicon's new fancy red dot along with every other bell and whistle on it. You could tell a lot of people were shooting a red dot for the first time, and collectively we all sucked with it.

I'm also just waiting on the right deal for the 2.0 15+1 with night sights. I had a couple gen 1's and they were fine, except mag changes in the freezing (literally) cold weather. The only thing I could give an edge to a glock over on the M&P was the below 32 deg weather mag changes.

I'm also waiting for S&W to make the M&P in 10mm and get on that bandwagon as well.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I actually see more of them at the ranges and shooting events than I did a few years ago when I seemed to be the only one.

I believe the Shield just passed the 3 million mark, so things can't be too bad at S&W.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I have 1.0 full size, compact, and shield in 9mm. A bodyguard .380 and a .22.

You just dont see me at competitions because I'm not there.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    At the Guardian Match in Lake City Mi a couple weeks ago they had a stage with a tricked out M&P with trijicon's new fancy red dot along with every other bell and whistle on it. You could tell a lot of people were shooting a red dot for the first time, and collectively we all sucked with it.

I'm also just waiting on the right deal for the 2.0 15+1 with night sights. I had a couple gen 1's and they were fine, except mag changes in the freezing (literally) cold weather. The only thing I could give an edge to a glock over on the M&P was the below 32 deg weather mag changes.

I'm also waiting for S&W to make the M&P in 10mm and get on that bandwagon as well.

Agreed, I'd say the edge on mags in general goes to Glock. One of the few things I have noticed with my M&P 2.0 is that dropping mags on gravel out at MCF&G, you better watch the floor plates when you pick them up and make sure they are still seated fully. I definitely prefer Glock OEM mags over almost any other handgun for durability, etc. At least the 15 round M&P Compact 2.0 mags have come down in price a bit, but still not as cheap as OEM Glock mags typically run.

Grabbing metal mags that have been sitting on a table in the sun is no fun on the other extreme from the freezing conditions as well.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I've noticed at the matches I attend CZs, Sigs and Walthers are becoming more popular. Glocks are still up there but they just aren't as popular as they once were. I think because of the newness of the CZs, Sigs and Walthers that are being used. Last several matches I've been to I think I've been the only one shooting an M&P.

Top Bottom