Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Has the S&W M&P handgun become less popular?

I have 2 of them and have had them since they were the new offering from S&W. I've noticed at the classes and competitions I've been to this summer I'm one of very few if not the only one still using one?
    Vickers carbine class- I was only one, 2 gun last weekend- only one in my squad but didn't see the 1 other squad, I didn't see any at FNS last time, none at a couple social shoots with 10+ people there... I can't remember the last time I saw even a couple people with one at a shooting event.
    I feel like I'm the last one at the party to figure out it is over.
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

User Info Menu

I havent been shooting much lately, but I hope so. I've been wanting one for a long while. Maybe I'll catch a great deal on one...I love how they feel and shoot. Just havent found the right deal.

ACC
    Expert

User Info Menu

I think in competitions, people are running a bit more specialty guns which tend to be CZ, 1911, 2011, Sig, etc.

As for classes, I think Glock still dominates the market.

I was always a Glock guy until I realized that I shoot M&Ps WAY better and they have a natural point of aim for me. Only thing is the horrible hinged trigger. Luckily, there are a few quality drop in trigger replacements available for M&P line.

Now my EDC is a M&P 9 2.0 Compact

User Info Menu

I still see them at the range. They are just not the current popular thing anymore. Now everyone wants a glock with a comp and red dot.

JHB
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Sorry we disagree on that. That horrible hinged trigger doesn't bite my trigger finger like a Glock does.

(Only thing is the horrible hinged trigger. Luckily, there are a few quality drop in trigger replacements available for M&P line.)

User Info Menu

Has the S&W M&P handgun become less popular?
    Yes, of course. There have been no blockbuster movies to feature it like Avengers, 2012.

Get the guns in the movies, that drives sales. Smith marketing needs to be taking technical advisors to strip clubs.

Smith & Wesson M&P - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games
    Kirk Freeman, INGO's Dennis Miller of gun culture references

User Info Menu

I had a guy at a recent range day that was shooting and M&P...
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    I think in competitions, people are running a bit more specialty guns which tend to be CZ, 1911, 2011, Sig, etc.

As for classes, I think Glock still dominates the market.

I was always a Glock guy until I realized that I shoot M&Ps WAY better and they have a natural point of aim for me. Only thing is the horrible hinged trigger. Luckily, there are a few quality drop in trigger replacements available for M&P line.

Now my EDC is a M&P 9 2.0 Compact
    I can see that logic for sure. The M&P is a good gun for pretty much all of it but maybe not the best for any individual category. If it is a duty/ carry gun then you are looking at the same features/market as Glock which is the big gorilla in the room for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by sadclownwp View Post
    I still see them at the range. They are just not the current popular thing anymore. Now everyone wants a glock with a comp and red dot.
    Larry Vickers mentioned that red dots on pistols are going to be pretty common place very soon. He is forecasting this as not just a fad but eventually will be the new normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    Yes, of course. There have been no blockbuster movies to feature it like Avengers, 2012.

Get the guns in the movies, that drives sales. Smith marketing needs to be taking technical advisors to strip clubs.

Smith & Wesson M&P - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games
    I know when I bought mine I wanted to be a super hero and started throwing out "MF'er" as a common use adjective. When I found myself shopping for eye patches I got help. I'm so easily persuaded.
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
    I had a guy at a recent range day that was shooting and M&P poorly...
    You are too nice to finish the sentence correctly so I edited it.

LOL, I resemble that remark.

User Info Menu

I know when I bought mine I wanted to be a super hero and started throwing out "MF'er" as a common use adjective. When I found myself shopping for eye patches I got help. I'm so easily persuaded
    If only there were evidence for saying that television and movies heavily influence the gun culture. If only.

If only someone wrote a book about how gun makers use bribes, steak dinners and tall blondes to sell guns, if only:

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-America.../dp/0307719952

If only we saw evidence of entire shooting sports being created by television, if only:

https://sassnet.com/

If only we knew what drove sales of the M&P around 2012, if only:

Kirk Freeman, INGO's Dennis Miller of gun culture references

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast