• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Slowly but surely, I have gotten on the CZ train. Started out with an Urban Grey P07 Suppressor ready model. Then snagged a Scorpion EVO3. And then into a P10c. I'm good on the striker fired CZs.

Now thinking I need to add another DA/SA offering from CZ. However, I am overwhelmed with the 75-Shadow-Phantoms-Omega-97-P01 offerings.

This would probably be for a carry gun (G19 size) but I might shoot it in some steel matches too. Not looking for anything RAMI.

All those with the CZickness....I'd like your insight.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    For a G19 size you have three choices:

Compact - steel frame with safety (safety can only be activated when the hammer is cocked), no rail.

PCR - alloy frame with decocker, no rail.

P01 - alloy frame with decocker and rail.

There is a variant of the P01 that has a safety.

If you want a rail on your carry gun, go with the P01.
    If you don't want a rail on your carry gun, go with the PCR.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ll counter BA just a bit by suggesting that the 75B Compact might be the better choice for a competition gun that gets carried sometimes. My thinking comes from the fact that both the P01 and PCR are decockers and you have to be careful with tuning a decocker because they only use a single hammer hook instead of the normal 2 on a 75B. Even CZ altered the design a bit because of this concern in that the decocker CZs (not Omegas) pin the sear pin to the frame to reduce the chance of a worn sear along with sear cage movement allowing an AD.

I had a P01 and after tuning it, I could not get comfortable with carry. The trigger dropped down to a hair under 2# with the race hammer, so I stepped back to the factory hammer and even that was only about a 2.5# SA trigger. I don’t like my carry guns to drop below 3#.

My 75B Compact is also fully Cajunized and has a safe 3# SA and that can be raised if needed. There’s more hammer hook area on the 75B style guns than on the decockers.

In my opinion, unless you are committing to the platform and will shoot a bunch, a tuned P01 can be too light for EDC. So, if you are looking for a great trigger that you can run steel with and EDC, the 75B compact is hard to beat. There are some railed compacts floating around that are safety equipped and those things might just be the best compact CZs made. Heavy enough for low recoil shooting yet with great triggers that allow complete control. Run them with the 16 rounds mags using SP01 base plates and you have a do-all gun.

Just my 2 cents...

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I found the PCR balances better than the P-01. The weight are very close but the P-01 seemed to be just a bit more nose heavy.

The steel compact is definitely the softest shooting of the bunch though.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'd vote PCR but 88's Compact commentary is a valid factor.

Seriously though - the other posts may be correct but the only correct answer is to buy one of each, heavily modify them all and find exactly what you like!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd opt for the Compact Omega if such exists. I know you give up some customizability with the newer lockwork but I for one really want a decocker AND a steel frame.

I'm also hearing there are some steel frame P-01s in circulation?? THAT would be sweet.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    I am not a Sig fanboy, I have ONE.
    You may not want to limit yourself to just CZ, Sig has some outstanding options in DA / SA. CZ's are great no doubt but don't limit your options to just one manufacturer, you might miss out on a good one.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I’ll counter BA just a bit by suggesting that the 75B Compact might be the better choice for a competition gun that gets carried sometimes. My thinking comes from the fact that both the P01 and PCR are decockers and you have to be careful with tuning a decocker because they only use a single hammer hook instead of the normal 2 on a 75B. Even CZ altered the design a bit because of this concern in that the decocker CZs (not Omegas) pin the sear pin to the frame to reduce the chance of a worn sear along with sear cage movement allowing an AD.

I had a P01 and after tuning it, I could not get comfortable with carry. The trigger dropped down to a hair under 2# with the race hammer, so I stepped back to the factory hammer and even that was only about a 2.5# SA trigger. I don’t like my carry guns to drop below 3#.

My 75B Compact is also fully Cajunized and has a safe 3# SA and that can be raised if needed. There’s more hammer hook area on the 75B style guns than on the decockers.

In my opinion, unless you are committing to the platform and will shoot a bunch, a tuned P01 can be too light for EDC. So, if you are looking for a great trigger that you can run steel with and EDC, the 75B compact is hard to beat. There are some railed compacts floating around that are safety equipped and those things might just be the best compact CZs made. Heavy enough for low recoil shooting yet with great triggers that allow complete control. Run them with the 16 rounds mags using SP01 base plates and you have a do-all gun.

Just my 2 cents...

I agree with your assessment of the compact. The only reason I didn't recommend it is that "most" people think it is too heavy for every day carry. I quit recommending them a few years ago after taking several verbal beatings on here and elsewhere. ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd opt for the Compact Omega if such exists. I know you give up some customizability with the newer lockwork but I for one really want a decocker AND a steel frame.

I'm also hearing there are some steel frame P-01s in circulation?? THAT would be sweet.

It’s hard to really call them a P01 even though one of them is roll marked as such. The first batch was the model 99021 which is an all steel, safety equipped, railed compact. It was just marked as a 75B compact. The second batch was the 99041, which is identical in every way except for having a P01 roll mark. There is a third batch, marketed as stainless P01s but in reality, they are carbon steel with a high polish nickel plate. Only 200 of those were produced and they command a huge price online.

To me, none of these were a real P01 any more than a 75B Compact is a PCR. They are all fantastic shooters though.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

You can buy steel frame 75D's on GB that come with a decocker. They are surplus guns and they may not be beautiful to look at.

Top Bottom