Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Open discussion: Pistol RDS options, reviews, thoughts...

Putting a red dot sight on a pistol is not a new thing but they are gaining popularity and respect fast. Larry Vickers stated at the carbine clinic in Lebanon that he is convinced they are not the next fad but rather the new paradigm.

Because of the recent upswing in utilization there are new ones coming out all the time. It feels a little like buying a computer in the 90's... When do you get what is available and when do you wait until the next evolution?

What are your thoughts on:
    -Are the current offerings good enough to not result in needing to upgrade in a year or two? In other words, do the offerings currently available fulfill all the goals you would want so any new breakthroughs or design improvements will really just be icing on the cake?
    -Brands to avoid considering?

The RDS LAV had was awesome but even he mentioned he would have moved the adjustment button to a different location. He has on several occasions accidentally hit the buttons when doing typical weapons manipulations. (He said verbally, live at the course but doesn't mention it online and frankly he admits it is picking at details.)

I have a (Gen1 ?) S&W M&P 9mm currently with full APEX kit. Should I get one for my pistol or get a pistol already setup for one (2.0)? What are the factors to consider in making that decision?

Who's rocking RDS's?
    Your opinion on your actual model, others available, or what you would have done differently?

GO:
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

Plinker

User Info Menu

I would specifically be interested in anyones experience with an M&P 2.0 9c with an RDS. Where the slide was cut, etc.

Also interested in anyones experience with an Aimpoint ACRO.
    Never ascribe to malice or conspiracy, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jwamplerusa View Post
    I would specifically be interested in anyones experience with an M&P 2.0 9c with an RDS. Where the slide was cut, etc.

I'm all but certain that is the sight LAV had. (Aimpoint ACRO)
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

Hop

User Info Menu

Yep, LAV was using an Aimpoint ACRO in his Advanced Carbine class. I looked hard at that one recently but decided to stay with Trijicon & had my G19X slide milled by ZRTactical for my SRO.

I've been using a Trijicon RMR Dual (no battery, Tritium & fiber optic illuminated) on my Canik TP9 SFx pistol for a couple+ years now. I've let a ton of people give it a try and all have liked it so far. Hitting an 8" plate rack and 50 yards gets all too easy.

It's tricky to find the dot out of the holster and takes some practice. Finding the front sight & placing it in the window helps to find the dot big time.

I submerged the gun in muddy water & killed the RMR at a Run-n-Gun event. So even the good brands can die. Trijicon has always taken care of me & they were very helpful at NRAAM when comparing RDS & that's why I stuck with them.
    Will the SRO hold up? Probably. It doesn't look as rugged as the RMR but wow, it's SO much easier to find the dot and stay on the dot when shooting.

I wanted to switch from the Canik to the Glock because I wanted to keep the rear sight. When the dot died on the Canik I was dead in the water (literally). The Glock got a "race cut" that puts the rear sight in front of the dot. It makes it easier for my old eyeballs to see everything.

You are welcome to try out both pistols. I work across the parking lot from Point Blank Carmel & it's way to easy to grab a range lane.
    Last edited by Hop; 08-09-2019 at 15:04.

Revere's Riders Instructor - Master Rifle KD, Master Pistol

NRA Pistol instructor | NRA Rifle instructor | NRA RSO
    Classes and info here: https://www.reveresriders.org/

User Info Menu

I think the front runner for me is the Walther Q5 Match it already has a sweet trigger and is RDS ready.
    Looks like Leo/Mil price on the ARCO is $504.71 pistol is about $650.00 so around $1200 with FFL and shipping.
    Normally I donít jump on the new equipment train this fast but I think RDS have a advantage?

I will have to hide this purchase from the wife she demands the same amount I spend in cash!

BTW
    HOP,
    You are not supposed to shoot in bad weather conditions or in the mud just in air conditioned ranges no further than 25 yards!
    U.S. Army retired

Hop

User Info Menu

Last edited by Hop; 3 Hours Ago at 10:30.

Revere's Riders Instructor - Master Rifle KD, Master Pistol

NRA Pistol instructor | NRA Rifle instructor | NRA RSO
    Classes and info here: https://www.reveresriders.org/

User Info Menu

Trijicon RMR is the standard, and the Gen2 HRS is the best of those. Iím still not sold on the SRO, and am currently fiddling with a 507C, to see if it works out. As far as the ACRO, might as well mount a T1 or T2.

User Info Menu

Physiologically we, as humans, are "threat focused" when there is a threat towards us. Our eyeballs, while miraculous organs, still take precious time/thought to go between rear sight, front sight, and the threat. Then it's front sight to threat... Threat to front sight... Front sight to threat...

Why not have an aiming system that lets you stay focused on the threat?

By iron sight training, we're taught and taught and taught to focus on the front sight, right? If you're focused on the front sight, you physically cannot be focused on the threat. It's in these split seconds of non-focus that literal life-changing decisions are made/forced to be made.

Look up Aaron Cowan / Sage Dynamics. Go to his site and download is PDF document about MRDS on pistols. Look at the hit % difference between iron sights and MRDS. Look at the difference in CRITICAL hits between irons and MRDS. R

Look up his podcast with Practically Tactical.

For DUTY use, the RMR and/or the Leupold Delta Point (And pro) are the only ones that'll stand up to a drop test.

Plenty of other MRDS work fantastically for range work / competition. Some of them, like the Shield RMS or whatever it's called, just plain suck when you can scratch the lens just by cleaning it with a Tshirt.

My opinion: If you're going to carry a gun with an MRDS - don't settle.

I've resisted an MRDS on a pistol for a long time. My mind has been changed.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jwamplerusa View Post

Man, I've scoured YouTube for videos that show the milling of an M&P slide - and I can't find it. I, too, would like to know. I want to know how the milling interacts with the striker block that's under the rear sight. I guess the MRDS holds the striker block down?

From pics of completed slides, though, it looks like the factory dovetail becomes, essentially, the rear step/shelf of the MRDS pocket. Then the BUIS is dovetailed in behind that.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    Trijicon RMR is the standard, and the Gen2 HRS is the best of those. Iím still not sold on the SRO, and am currently fiddling with a 507C, to see if it works out. As far as the ACRO, might as well mount a T1 or T2.
    '...T1 or T2'... Are you saying that because it is big or because it is durable like the other Aimpoint offerings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast