Page 3 of 372 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Here is one of my carry guns. This one is sporting a set of custom made Birdseye Maple grips and Mag Na Porting of the barrel & slide.
    Melensdad, what's the think sticking out of the bottom of the grip between the magazine and the frame? I'd think that to be non-conducive to carrying the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by W9ZEB View Post
    Melensdad, what's the think sticking out of the bottom of the grip between the magazine and the frame? I'd think that to be non-conducive to carrying the firearm.
    That would be a loaded magazine indicator and I would not carry with that poking out. I intentionally included it in the photo to show one of the little innovations that Detonics developed back in the dark ages of hangunning. Its really a dumb thing, at least as designed There are 2 different versions of it, that one is the worst. The other version is a rounded tab. Both do the same thing, they stick out of the bottom of a loaded magazine. They are designed for magazine storage, and show the magazine to be full, when you cycle a round into the chamber the tab retracts and is flush with the bottom of the magazine.

Detonics did a lot of very revolutionary things back in the mid-late 1970's and held a bunch of patents on the 1911 design modifications that really improved the 1911. Many of those things are now standard on custom carry and custom target guns.

Funny, but the sharp tab that pokes out of the bottom of the magazine and cuts into your flesh when you slam a magazine into the gun never caught on I dunno why

Near mytical DETONICS MK VII Combat Master

This popped up on Gunbroker the other day, within minutes of the opening of the auction the deal was closed and the gun will soon be shipped to me. There are some very unusual variations of the Detonics Combat Master Pistols, one of the most unusual is the MK VII model. It was supposedly developed at the request of the CIA and supposedly the CIA got several examples for covert use. Whether that is true is open for debate, but one thing is true, the MK VII guns are so unusual and rare that they have achieved an almost mythical status and are rarely seen, even by collectors.

It has been said that this is the model that started the trend toward the modern 'carry melt' package seen on modern guns. These guns are not melted/softened at the corners like the modern 'carry melt' packages but they were designed for pocket carry and draw without snagging.

So to you I present my soon to be MK VII, it is more likely that you will see the Loch Ness Monster, a Unicorn or Sasquach than another one of these. I've been a Detonics fan/admirer/collector for years and I have never held one of these MK VII pistols. These photos are from the auction, I'll provide some nice glamor shots when the gun actually arrives (10 to 14 days?).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are some quick pics of my three.
    Springfield TRP, Springfield MC Operator and Caspian I built at Cylinder & Slides Pistolsmithing class in 2002.

not near as nice as some but here's mine

Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    not near as nice as some but here's mine
    Nice is in the eye of the beholder and I've always been impressed with the Rock Island Armory GI models. They are simple guns that seem to be incredibly reliable under all conditions. They should be reliable, they are apparently built to the Army standards for the WWII contract guns. Some people claim the GI models are not particularly accurate, but I believe that is the military spec'd sights to blame, not the gun. The military sights were tiny little things and I believe that is why many of the returning vet's said the guns couldn't hit the side of a barn with their Colts.

Here is another one of mine.

This is an UNFIRED Combat Master in 451 Detonics Magnum, its older than some of the members on this site. I've posted other photos, but you can actually read the slide engravings in this photo.
    Last edited by melensdad; 06-01-2008 at 19:24.

Here is a 9mm Combat Master, model MC2. There were only about 325 Combat Masters chambered in 9mm. The MC2 model finish is probably the most unusual version because it is so rough and dull that it looks like the gun was tumbled in a bucket of sharp rocks. This gun is also unusual because most of the MC2 models were shipped with wrap around Pachmeyer rubber grips but this has the factory installed Hogue checkered grips.

One last one for today. This is a MK VI 45acp Detonics Combat Master. What is unusual about this one is it is the only one I've ever seen with a "Commander" style rounded hammer. The holster is a Don Hume "JIT" OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Nice is in the eye of the beholder and I've always been impressed with the Rock Island Armory GI models. They are simple guns that seem to be incredibly reliable under all conditions. They should be reliable, they are apparently built to the Army standards for the WWII contract guns. Some people claim the GI models are not particularly accurate, but I believe that is the military spec'd sights to blame, not the gun. The military sights were tiny little things and I believe that is why many of the returning vet's said the guns couldn't hit the side of a barn with their Colts.
    It's actually a springfield GI spec, and I love the gun. I'm not saying it's not a great gun, but there are some VERY nice 1911's in this thread that I'd love to shoot

and the sites do suck, I really can't hit a thing with this gun

Melen's dad:

To quote the Joker: Where does he get those wonderful toys!

Amazing collection! Ive always had a soft spot for those Oly Arms Safari-masters. Does that little finger groove in the front strap do anything weird when firing? Always wondered that...

It's over for now... it seems... until yesterday begins again...tomorrow...

Page 3 of 372 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast