• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    Hey everyone, I have a gen 4 Glock 19. Got it back in 2016 and wanted an MOS but they were all sold out at the time and instead of being patient I picked up the one I have. I'm not upset with the purchase at all. I love the gun and I carry it every single day, but I am wanting to get a RDS mounted on it. I want to keep my iron sights for alignment and obviously a backup if the sight goes down so one of those adapters that goes in the dove tail rear sight is out of the question. So, I'm just wondering what you guys think. Buy a new slide that is already cut for a red dot, or send mine out to be custom milled? All I really want are front slide serrations and an optic cut. Also not wanting to spend more money than what I could pick up a new gen 5 mos for. Any input is welcomed. Thanks.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Not sure what it will go for but here's what you want.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glock-19-M...853807?hash=item4d99cd5a2f:g:V2gAAOSw6TtdTiBC
    There aren't many aftermarket Gen 5 slides, you are pretty much locked into a ZEV or getting yours machined and recoated and that's going to be a little pricey. Search Ebay for gen5 glock slide to see what is available.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Not sure where your located but I can mill for RDS and slide serrations.
    I am in Avon

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I recently went through this, I have a G17 gen 5 and wanted either a slide or cut mine but either way is not cheap once you include the machining and the refinishing if is done by a qualified smith and using a good finish. I opted to buy a whole new handgun and with that I get the flexibility of been able to mount different optics not just one (got the G17 gen 5 MOS), it is even more expensive to buy everything but in the end it is a rock solid set up and its flexible.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    For RDS cut, basic front serrations and Cerakote finish would cost 275.00. That would include a new firing pin channel as well

Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    For RDS cut, basic front serrations and Cerakote finish would cost 275.00. That would include a new firing pin channel as well

Thanks for the reply Allen. Sorry I haven't gotten back with you. I think I've decided against the rds for now. I would definitely like to do front slide serrations and maybe a cerakote if you could? Roughly how much would that take if you could let me know and do you currently have any lead time? Thanks again.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Thanks for jumping in Allen. What do you charge for the RMR cut? And is cerakote needed on the cut for rust protection or do you cerakote the whole slide?

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks for jumping in Allen. What do you charge for the RMR cut? And is cerakote needed on the cut for rust protection or do you cerakote the whole slide?

I charge $125.00 to cut for an RMR I usually just Cold blue and oil the cut. If you want the slide Cerakote'd while i have it apart that's another $50.00 which includes a new firing pin channel on Glock slides

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks for the reply Allen. Sorry I haven't gotten back with you. I think I've decided against the rds for now. I would definitely like to do front slide serrations and maybe a cerakote if you could? Roughly how much would that take if you could let me know and do you currently have any lead time? Thanks again.

Serrations and Cerakote would be $150.00 for basic Serrations

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the reply. I live in Bloomington so it's about an hour drive for me. Do you have any pictures of your work?

I see you have decided to wait on the RDS but if you need work done, I wouldn't hesitate to use Allen. He is very good at machining and has an eye for detail. You will get good product/service with him.

Not to take business away from Allen but you could buy one of those adapter plates that slide into the rear sight dovetail. I wouldn't consider it a permanent set up but it would give you time to determine for sure if RDS is the way you want to go. You may decide that isn't the route you really want to go or you may be absolutely convinced that is the way you want to go. Then spending the money isn't so bad.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    AllenM milled mine to mount Burris FF3.

Attachments

• 68B326BD-E2F3-45C4-833B-D803710ED263.jpg
      68B326BD-E2F3-45C4-833B-D803710ED263.jpg
      59.7 KB · Views: 22
    • 9FE342B8-DFA5-4990-9789-7C817E0B4BED.jpg
      9FE342B8-DFA5-4990-9789-7C817E0B4BED.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 19

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I recently picked up a P10S/OR and have an RMR on order for it. If I adjust well to that, I think I’ll ask AllenM to cut my G23.4 slide for one. Allen’s done work on my guns in the past and I’d recommend him to anyone that is looking for quality machine work.

I love that we have this type of talent right here in Central Indiana.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    The Glock factory MOS cut is a universal type deal, meaning it fits many different optics.

The down side is it doesn't fit anything very well, there are gaps in front and back, you also have to use adapter plate and 4 screws.

Being custom cut by a gunsmith for your specific red dot, it only takes 2 crews, and it sits lower without the adapter plate.

Glock-17-MOS-6-600x450.jpg

R6779-9mm-Glock-G19-MOS-Review-3.jpg

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    A couple of things to think about when getting into handgun RDSs. Unlike a RDS on a rifle, there is a much bigger learning curve on a handgun RDS due to less points on contact on the gun which often times makes people dislike the RDS on a handgun until they put in the training time and train correctly. A handgun RDS does very well of showing any training deficiencies/grip errors etc which often go unnoticed on iron sights. The reason I bring this up is it is often times discouraging when you first try a RDS on a handgun, but if you put the time and effort into training then it will pay off in the end. I actually recently bought a G34MOS with a RDS off a friend because he bought it, tried it, and didn't like the RDS as much as he thought he would.

Milling a slide for the RDS versus a MOS platform or similar systems with adapter plates is almost always stronger and better, however the down side is you're married to one single footprint for a RDS (although some companies will use other brand's foot prints). Most adapter plates cause the RDS to sit higher on the slide than milling and depending on the plate system it is usually the weak point. However it does give you the option to try and use different RDSs. From the research I've done, Agency Arms not too long ago released their own adapter plate system (AOS) for Glock 9mm slides which seems to be the strongest adapter plate system I've found and sits the RDS almost as deep as milling the slide. I don't have any first hand experience with them yet, but I am planning to eventually get this done to one of my Glocks. Until then I'm using the G34MOS I bought off a friend to start practicing with the RDS.

Another thing to think about is how you want your iron sights set up around the RDS. Most adapter plates have the RDS in front of the rear iron sight which is probably the most popular way to set it up. However putting the iron sights in front of the RDS does seem to have its own advantages. Agency's AOS system gives you the option to switch between irons rear of the RDS versus irons forward of the RDS.

I'm pretty early into trying a RDS on a handgun, but that's a few things I've found out through my own research and short experience. Its a lot different than throwing a RDS on a rifle but it also has its own advantages.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    AllenM, can you also do RDS cuts for M&P 1.0? What would be the cost for the RMR cut plus a dovetail for a rear sight?

MP RMR REAR SIGHT

I can do what you are asking, but they make suppressor sights for the existing sight cuts I am pretty sure. To cut for an RDS runs $125.00

Top Bottom