Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nakinate View Post
    Thatís not how springs work. The more they are compressed and released repeatedly the faster they wear out. A mag fully loaded that just sits there will not wear out any faster than a mag thatís 2/3 loaded and just sits there.
    I completely agree with this. An empty mag is a useless mag.
    Keep all my mags loaded up and never had any issues.

User Info Menu

If someone's engaging you and yours, with an AK system, I hope and pray one shot would be all I would need to take them out, but I will hopefully have at least ten more rounds for them to worry about, if I don't.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Although I carry an LCR on occasion, my preferred set up is Glock 43X and two extra mags or Glock Mdl 45 with two spare mags. The availability of extra rounds is fine with me.

User Info Menu

Thatís not how springs work. The more they are compressed and released repeatedly the faster they wear out. A mag fully loaded that just sits there will not wear out any faster than a mag thatís 2/3 loaded and just sits there.
    Beat me to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 88E30M50 View Post
    My first reaction to the Walmart shooting was that I needed to start carrying more ammo. Then, as I thought it through, I realized that if I chose to go head to head with a guy with an AK/AR using a pistol, the matter would be decided in 3 rounds, if that. Either I made my shot or died trying.
    Not necessarily.

Although that's true in most cases of self defense due to the close range, it may NOT be the case in a mass shooter event. Here, you have something more closely resembling combat. A bad guy with a semi-automatic, magazine fed rifle (mass shooters seldom chose a handgun) in an urban setting.

IF you chose to confront him, you will be armed with a weapon of limited power, and range. You will need to maneuver to a good position to engage. You'll need cover. You'll need to be in his path waiting for him to come to you (think ambush) or pass you by. You may have to engage him... while you watch him engage some scared screaming innocent.

There may also be more than one shooter. (think Mumbai, God forbid)

One thing I learned in 3 combat tours... You can NEVER have too much ammo. Gunfights are scary as hell. Unless you're very close, and very good, you're gonna miss, a lot more than you hit. (at least I did) My number of rounds expended was high, my number of bad guys I got was low... You need ammo.

The only reason I am as comfy with my 1911 as with my G17 is how well it fits my hand, how well I shoot with it, and I carry 2 extra mags. Still, I'd rather the capacity of the Glock every time, AND it's ability to mount a light. This is why it gets carry duty 90% of the time.

Just because I'm comfy with 8+1, and 2 spare 8 rd mags, doesn't mean I don't prefer, 17+1, and 2 x 17 rd spares...
    You know what I like best about most people? Their dogs.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Former LEO here: We changed from S&W M66 357 mag Service Revolvers to Glock 22's after seeing the Bank Of America Shootout. Bad guys, in armor, shot up a bunch of police officers with AKs, during a robbery. True, they mostly had Beretta 92s, but the AKs were rocking the battle. (Miami shootout also showed many hicap mags used vs FBI Agents)
    Moral of the story: More ammo has never been a losing battle. Hence, hi capacity mags are on most all Police Officers Duty belts. Not knocking 1911s (I own one too), but in harms way, prefer a 15-17 rd mag, and reloads. Even on a Security detail, guards are carrying hi caps, and reloads. Its not getting any better out there. Always carry extra mag(s) and practice.
    My J Frame is in my pocket for a milk/bread run, but a G19 is on my hip. Not paranoid, just prepared. Good Luck.

User Info Menu

Something that is valuable about this forum and engaging in the threads is the differing views that members provide. At least for me, more than on one occasion my mindset has been changed.

This thread definitely has me thinking.
    "If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough"--Mario Andretti

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    Something that is valuable about this forum and engaging in the threads is the differing views that members provide. At least for me, more than on one occasion my mindset has been changed.

This thread definitely has me thinking.
    Same here. Thatís why I started this one. Not to evangelize my personal beliefs but to hear what others are thinking. There are a lot of good perspectives and info in here so far.
    Ď88 (aka Ď88, the mad scientist)

Expert

User Info Menu

I would not depend life on your theory.
    Compress anything for an extended amount of time and it will lose it strength.
    The more you compress it the faster it will weaken.
    YES even 2/3 mag capacity.

I might retract my statement.
    I was not with the understanding the question was about going to war.
    I thought it was about personal protection carry.
    Last edited by Spike Jones 5 2002; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:23.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Jones 5 2002 View Post
    I would not depend life on your theory.
    Compress anything for an extended amount of time and it will lose it strength.
    The more you compress it the faster it will weaken.
    YES even 2/3rd.

I might retract my statement.
    I was not with the understanding the question was about going to war.
    I thought it was about personal protection carry.
    Its the movement of the spring that wears it down.

... in following your theory, you don't carry with one in the chamber as to not compress the striker spring. Then you would have 2 or 3 rounds in the mag, and would still need to load a round during a confrontation.
    My theory would be, in high stress situations, 3 rounds is a warm up in an engagement even with training. The more manipulations you need to do in said situation, creates greater chance for sharing it up. I'd rather depend my life on more ammo, and used mag spring versus weak critical spring in my gun. Either way, I se the spring agreement as a mute one.
    Of course this is just my opinion.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast