• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Over the last couple of years, I’ve found that my desire to carry higher capacity guns has diminished a lot. I used to sometimes carry a compact 15+1 gun and a pair of spare mags when out and about. Lately, I’ll most likely be found with much less. I’m not trying to convince anyone to carry less ammo, but am more interested in what this body of shooters thinks and what they see as their own minimum.

My thinking lately is that a Glock 30 with 10+1 rounds of .45 should get me out of anything I’m likely to step in. I will admit though, when heading into the city, there is still a spare mag on my hip.

What drives your choice in carry capacity and spares?

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    While working in an office environment, l carried a S&W J-frame 5 shot revolver in strong hand front pocket with a speed strip in opposite pocket. I would have preferred more rounds in the pistol. Something is better than nothing. Now that I am retired, I carry a semi-automatic IWB with minimum 10 rounds and a spare magazine on my hip. Untucked polo shirts work well for me.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I found that the length of grip matters more than the raw capacity for me. As such I have came across an inadvertent 8 rounds of 9mm minimum. That is what I'm about to carry for the jog that I'm delaying by writing this reply instead of tying on my running shoes. (Taran Tactical +2 baseplate in a Glock 43 gets me to 9 rounds total, carried in my 3speed holster)

To elaborate: In my own training, I've found an 8 round single stack magazine in 9mm is the smallest surface area I can get a good firing grip on with tired, sweaty hands. Shot placement is more important than raw capacity for me, so the length of the grip is actually the more important factor for me. That length of grip happens to be 8 rounds in a single stack 9mm, or also 10 rounds in my Sig P365 with pinky extension mag, but I trust my G43 more. :dunno:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Glock 36 is my EDC here, only 6 rounds per magazine, so I carry at least one, if not two spares. Especially now. Part of me wishes I had gone with a Glock 30s just for the extra capacity now. The 30 is a chunky little sucker, but never have had a chance to hold and compare my 36 to a 30s.

Then again, .45 is the Lord's caliber... shooting twice is silly :)

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    10+1 of 9mm in the the EDC
    12 in the spare mag.

The mag comes with me depending on the method of carry.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    What fits me and what I shoot well dictates what I carry (Glock 19C) more than the caliber or number of rounds. It's normal for me to have a spare mag, not because I think I'll need more than 15 rounds but because mags are the heart of your pistol. Every malfunction I've had while competing has been mag or ammo related so in my mind a spare mag equals increased reliability.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have read that the internet experts have a Rule of 3 (most shootings involve 3 shots at 3 yards in 3 seconds). So you only need to carry three rounds. I have no idea where that comes from but have seen it referenced many times.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The answer depends upon your own personal benefit/risk analysis.

I was pretty happy with a 5 shot SW Model 60 until the P365 came out but I find myself gravitating back to the 60.

For whatever it is worth, the only civilian defensive shooting that I am personally aware of every detail was over after two shots. The perp lived to do jail time.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    PMR30 or a 1911 with 7 rounds in the mag? I prefer killing power. I'll take a .45-70 with +P 460gr hard cast over a .223 with 50-60gr per every day for the effect of that first round.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What fits me and what I shoot well dictates what I carry (Glock 19C) more than the caliber or number of rounds. It's normal for me to have a spare mag, not because I think I'll need more than 15 rounds but because mags are the heart of your pistol. Every malfunction I've had while competing has been mag or ammo related so in my mind a spare mag equals increased reliability.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

This. Extra mag is not just for additional ammo, but for carrying a fundamental part that can be changed out quickly. Spare tire, but quicker to deploy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Does anyone vary what is carried based on where they are going? As I had said up thread, if I’m hanging around the house, mowing or walking over to my mother’s house, I’m happy with the G30 and no spare. If I’m heading into the city, I’ll take a spare mag with me. If I’m heading into the city after hours, I might swap the G30 out for a P10C with a second mag.

I can’t really say why though, as if 21 rounds of .45 wouldn’t get me out of trouble, 35 rounds of 9mm is not probably going to make a difference in the outcome.

Like I said though, not really debating capacity choices but just wondering what everyone’s choices are and why if there’s a reason.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dependent on where we are going yes, it varies. Sometimes just this little S&W 645-1 +P rated. Deep conceal. Close quarters.

After discussions in the 50 yard off hand thread my thinking has changed.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Does anyone vary what is carried based on where they are going? As I had said up thread, if I’m hanging around the house, mowing or walking over to my mother’s house, I’m happy with the G30 and no spare. If I’m heading into the city, I’ll take a spare mag with me. If I’m heading into the city after hours, I might swap the G30 out for a P10C with a second mag.

I can’t really say why though, as if 21 rounds of .45 wouldn’t get me out of trouble, 35 rounds of 9mm is not probably going to make a difference in the outcome.

Like I said though, not really debating capacity choices but just wondering what everyone’s choices are and why if there’s a reason.

If I knew where the danger was, I just wouldn't go there.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Doesn’t change my carry gun but sometimes my daily travels will decide rather the center console has full size gun with extra mags or not.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom