• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN71vet

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Noble County, IN
    Getting things together so I can go to the range next week so a question or 3.
    Ammo, how picky can the 19 be about brands. Any brands to stay away from?
    Reloads, I know the owners manual says no but we all know reloading happens.
    I guess that is all for now.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Not picky at all. I would suggest avoiding steel case and I always buy 124 GR bullets if possible because they are usually the same price as 115 GR bullets and I find them more reliable. Get some training and have some fun.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    About the only thing to avoid in reloading is cast bullets with a stock G**** barrel. The type of rifling they use is supposed to be a no-no.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not picky at all. I would suggest avoiding steel case and I always buy 124 GR bullets if possible because they are usually the same price as 115 GR bullets and I find them more reliable. Get some training and have some fun.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

About the only thing to avoid in reloading is cast bullets with a stock G**** barrel. The type of rifling they use is supposed to be a no-no.

THIS to both.

Mine seems to prefer 124s for accuracy.

And you can buy button rifled aftermarket barrels if you want to reload lead. But you can still run plated or powder coated bullets fine in factory barrels.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    My 19 has about 40,000 rounds thru it and it likes most all ammo including my reloads. I have also almost completely stopped with all 115gr as I have found accuracy and less snappy recoil with 124 or 147. 147 is actually my preferred round the last several years. I do not do any steel cased stuff. Check out sgammo.com, a great company to do business with.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I will concur on the heavier 124 and 147 as my Glocka seem to be more accurate with them (Gen 4 19, 17 and gen 5 34). Ot but hat the 115's are ok but I can tell a difference plus with many matches the 124-147 do better on steel targets that have to be knocked over.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The newer Glocks with “marksman” rifling can shoot cast.

Older poly rifled barrels should avoid cast.

Also, hard cast is ok in the older ones.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I generally shoot 115 gr and had not heard that 124 can be more accurate for others. I'll have to give that a try. That must be why I'm not a crack shot.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The newer Glocks with “marksman” rifling can shoot cast.

Older poly rifled barrels should avoid cast.

Also, hard cast is ok in the older ones.

:+1:

I had a 19x and did not notice any difference between the factory Marksman barrel and an expensive threaded True Precision. Both shot everything from lead ball to hollow point about the same.

Last edited:

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    I too prefer 124 grain 9 mm Luger ammunition to 115 grain. I don't know that I have observed greater accuracy in the 124 grain, but I have found that with some pistols, some 115 grain 9 mm Luger ammunition will not cycle them as reliably. Some pistols will also shoot to a significantly different POI with the two different projectile weights using the same sight picture.

9MillSBR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Literally have around 5k rounds through my Gen3 19 and have fed it steel case, FMJ, Hollowpoints (multiple brands). +P+ ammo.

Glocks will eat anything with no issue, just keep the ammo as quality as you can, and train with what you carry if you can. (Grains of sabot)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AjKilgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Northern Area
    My 19 has about 40,000 rounds thru it and it likes most all ammo including my reloads. I have also almost completely stopped with all 115gr as I have found accuracy and less snappy recoil with 124 or 147. 147 is actually my preferred round the last several years. I do not do any steel cased stuff. Check out sgammo.com, a great company to do business with.

I'm learning the hard way with 115 grain. Still have 1500 rounds to get through before i can buy 124. I carry with 147 though.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Glock? Any ammo any brand, steel, brass, aluminum, poly. She don’t care. People arguing against steel and aluminum are just blowing it out of proportions. If the physics points to safe pressure for the case it’s fine to shoot.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I feed my Glocks anything and everything. Usually carry 147 HSTs and usually use 115 whatever’s cheapest for plinking. Just got a bunch of S&B for pretty cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I've had "several" 17,19,20,21,26,27,30 and 36s. Most of them, by far, liked either 124gr+p Gold Dots or the same in HSTs. I have a 19 and 26 now and they both prefer the GDs. HOWEVER, I've found the Sig 124 gr standard pressure to be very accurate too. The GDs are a little snappier and have a super reputation for even, repeatable expansion and penetration. Plus you can get on SGAMMO.com and buy the GDs and HSTs for about $30/50. That's a great price BTW.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    And another thing.....I've chronoed countless factory and reloads for my Glocks. I've found the factory loads, even out of the baby Glocks, usually beats the listed fps of the manufacturer. My 27 used to put its 180 gr Gold Dots out of that short barrel at 1,000fps. And it hit like a sledge hammer. Because of those velocities I never wasted time or money putting standard rifled aftermarket barrels on. I think the Glock polynoganal design must offer less resistance while still putting the proper spin on the bullet.

Top Bottom