• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I would like to get fellow INGO members opinions on three different pocket sized lightweight .380ACP pistols:
    Colt Mustang (13.7 oz.),
    Springfield 911 (12.6 oz.)
    Kimber Micro 380 (13.4 oz.)
    Do you own one of these, like it or dislike it? Any issues or problems with any of these guns? I was leaning towards the Springfield 911 because it's a lot less $, but I want to see what everyone's opinions are first.
    Note: These would be for my wife to carry. She currently carries a Ruger EC9s and I mentioned to her that I was going to buy an EC9s for myself and she said why don't I take hers and get her something else that is lighter weight. She shoots the EC9s very well but would like something not as heavy (EC9s is 17.2 oz.). So I thought of the 3 aforementioned .380ACP pistols. Her only requirement is that her gun must have a safety, be semi-auto, and it's less weight than her EC9s. Any comments are appreciated and I might try and find somewhere she can shoot all 3 but haven't found a range yet that carries all 3.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I feel like the P238 should be mentioned , I have some trigger time with it and honestly for a micro 380 it is a VERY soft shooter. I found several on gun broker for around the ~$550 mark, and Bass N Bucks in Wabash normally has very good prices on P238's and P938's since they are a Sig Master level dealer ( and 238 and 938's are their best sellers).

I would get a P238 if it were me , that and I won't give money to Springfield Armory, Kimber QC is shoddy at best and we'll Colt is not what it used to be unfortunately IMHO

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Everyone seems to forget about the Bersa Thunder.
    Much less in price. A little heavier than the Kimber or Colt, but a comletely serviceable sidearm.

I gave mine to my mother, but I really like them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ll second the P238 thought. I used to have a bunch of .380s, including several Bersa Thunders and a PPK. Those are all gone and it’s only the P238 that remains in the family. The gun is easy and soft to shoot and has been absolutely reliable. One other thing that might be worth considering is the P938. It’s just a bit larger than the P238 but is in 9mm. You could run a lighter 9mm ammo and gain a bit more energy with no real downside.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the 3 that the OP mentioned and cannot be of help deciding between those.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I agree with the P238. We had one years ago and it was very enjoyable to shoot. The only other .380 I've really liked is the SW Shield EZ, but that isn't pocket sized.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Not listed but I have an M&P Bodyguard .380 without a laser for pocket type carry. It's not a range gun or really all that fun to shoot but it serves a purpose. And for significantly less than the guns you listed it works for me.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've got a Sig P238, rosewood handles and tritium night sights. Great little gun and accurate for a pocket shooter. Good luck with your choice.

Ed B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2015
    Grant Co.
    I'd also have to second the good comments about the Sig P238. Between my wife and I we have both the P238 and P938. When my wife was looking, she found that the P238 slide racked easier than almost anything else she tried and then she loved the trigger. Needless to say, she shoots the P238 very well. Well enough to want a second one so she didn't have to learn another tool.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    And, as usual...
    No one weighed in on your original question.:dunno:

Mustang... very nice. Spendy. Kinda like the Sig, but without the nite sights. And spendy.
    Kimber... I'm a hard pass on anything recent from Kimber. Just me.
    Springfield 911. Significantly less than any of the others... and although I've never shot this particular firearm, I suspect that there is a reason for the lower cost that would be readily apparent.

Of the three you asked about, the Mustang is the only one I would consider.

But the last time I had a Mustang in my hand, the Sig that was next to it won the day.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have a Kimber 380. Really happy with it. Got it for riding the motorcycle fits in the vest pocket on my jackets. I prefer the 1911 type safety and mag release.

Don

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If a safety is a must, I agree with others that the P238 is a great option. Bought my stepdaughter one and she loves it. There's a version I've seen on sale lately for ~$500, which is a good price. Can't remember where I saw that though, sorry.

If you can get her past the need for a safety, I'd recommend a Ruger LCP II. The wife and I have 3 of these and love them. They shoot great for how small they are and are more accurate than other guns the same size that I've shot. They are also not as prone to malfunction as other .380's I've shot. The wife had 2 Glock 42's that she tried but both of them had issues from time to time. We found the G42 to be especially picky with certain ammo. The LCP II has never failed us once with several different types of ammo through many different range trips.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have 3 Mustangs. One lightweight. It's picky about ammo. it must be over 100gr to feed consistently. The older ones are well broken in and aren't picky. I've had a couple people shoot my Mustangs and they're also picky about keeping a stiff wrist.
    Kimber and I parted ways a couple of years ago. I loved the old Kimber 1911s but they don't love me back anymore. Not what they used to be. just my opinion of course.
    Springfield has a rep for reliable guns. Every Springfield I've ever owned ran 100% reliable.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Thank you all for the great advice - I really appreciate it. Sounds like I need to take a hard look at the Sig P238 which I didn't have on my list, but sounds like I should have. Again, I really appreciate the help and the comments.

afcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Madison Co.
    I like the Kimber Micro .380. If you’re ok with 6+1 and a sort of awkward safety, the. I e finish and 1912-style familiarity might make up for it. Nice pistols.

I’m not sure how familiar you are with Springfield’s stances and politics and wouldn’t try to tell you what to do one way or the other, but it might be worth checking out before choosing to give them any money.

(And yes, it is off topic, but my wife loves her Bersa. It has been nothing but reliable).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Everyone seems to forget about the Bersa Thunder.
    Much less in price. A little heavier than the Kimber or Colt, but a comletely serviceable sidearm.
    I gave mine to my mother, but I really like them.

I've owned two (2) of them and sold them both when we got out of .380 acp in 2009...
    I've considered getting another one if I can find one in all nickel...
    With the barrel fixed to the frame, accuracy is second-to-none in the little .380 round...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Thank you all for the great advice - I really appreciate it. Sounds like I need to take a hard look at the Sig P238 which I didn't have on my list, but sounds like I should have. Again, I really appreciate the help and the comments.

You would not be doing yourself a disservice by considering it. My P238 in 9mm Kurz is an easier shooter than my Walther PP in 7.65 Browning.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I own the all-metal frame Mustang. It is a fine piece. I have not had any problems with several types of ammo. I ran the cheap stuff, like WWB, and the more expensive stuff like Hornady. Never had any problems.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    I currently have a Springfield 911, I previously had a Sig P238 I traded for a Ruger LCR .357.

The reason I bought the 911 was because I miss the P238 and wish I had never gotten rid of it.

Frankly, the 911 is less expensive and I can see no difference between it and the P238 when it comes to function, accuracy, and performance. I have had the 911 less than 6 months, so I cannot speak to long-term reliability.

Let the irrational Springfield bashing begin!

Top Bottom