• ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hey all!

I'm currently in the process of overthinking which AK pistol to buy and but a brace on. I am pretty close to going with the Mini Draco for the compactness of it, but I didn't know if an M92 PAP or even SAM7K with a 10.5" barrel would be a better option. Here's what I know:

Mini Draco: Wonky hand guard with only a few pricey options out there for replacement. Short barrel = loud and fireballs (although I have heard there are good muzzle devices to mitigate that.

M92 Pap: Longer barrel (less fireball?), less compact, similar price point to the mini, Yugo specific parts/furniture

SAM7K: Much more expensive, faux muzzle device, comes with side attaching optic mount

The other option is the new PSA/Lead Star GF3 pistols, which seem like a good value for the money. I have watched the AKOU video on the rifle and feel like they have worked the kinks out with the GF3, but I will admit the fact that it's a PSA still makes me leery.

I'm looking to spend about $1k total with side folding brace and optic mount unless someone can talk me into blowing that budget for the SAM7K.

What say you, INGO? Is the Mini Draco the way to go?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have a Mini Draco with a USMachinegun folding mount, SB# brace, Texas Weapons Systems railed dust cover with PA micro dot, and MI railed fore end. The only reason I put the railed handguard on is I wanted to mount a flashlight. Otherwise, I liked the wood. It is a great PDW and with an effective muzzle device, not too loud really. The 3" difference between the standard Draco and the mini is significant in the hand and aesthetically.

Here is a pic of mine before some mods. I didn't like the angle of the brace so I "shimmed" it with some JB Weld. The adaptor now sits flush against the rear of the receiver. The KAK blade has been replaced with an SB3 brace. I can fit this and five loaded magazines in a book bag/small backpack. It is my standard travel gun.

attachment.php

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Have you considered the regular Draco pistol? 11.5" barrel so obviously longer than the mini but it gives you standard handguard options.

Look through this thread for lots of AK brace options and how to mount them.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I have a Mini Draco with a USMachinegun folding mount, SB# brace, Texas Weapons Systems railed dust cover with PA micro dot, and MI railed fore end. The only reason I put the railed handguard on is I wanted to mount a flashlight. Otherwise, I liked the wood. It is a great PDW and with an effective muzzle device, not too loud really. The 3" difference between the standard Draco and the mini is significant in the hand and aesthetically.

Here is a pic of mine before some mods. I didn't like the angle of the brace so I "shimmed" it with some JB Weld. The adaptor now sits flush against the rear of the receiver. The KAK blade has been replaced with an SB3 brace. I can fit this and five loaded magazines in a book bag/small backpack. It is my standard travel gun.

This is exactly what I'm thinking about doing. The only change might be the CNC Sidefolding Arm Brace. They have a Draco hinge base.

https://www.cncwarrior.com/AK-Saiga-Sidefolding-Armbrace-p/29380.htm

"Backpack sized" is what I'm looking for most, and it seems like there's minimal complaints about the Mini's dependability.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    That is a nice setup. I don't remember if it was available when I did mine or if I just wanted to avoid drilling :dunno:.

I've put maybe 300 rounds through my mini with zero failures.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My AK pistol is a PM90P from AWS built right up the road from me in Greenwood, IN. These are built using new imported Romanian PM90 parts kit on a US made reciever. Mine wears a Definitve Arms adapter and a SB Tactical SBA3 brace and magpul furniture. The PM90 uses standard AK furniture front AND rear. The rear trunion is standard AK style so any standard AK to AR adapter will work. But it has a 12.5" barrel so not as compact as a Mini Draco

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    That is a nice setup. I don't remember if it was available when I did mine or if I just wanted to avoid drilling :dunno:.

I've put maybe 300 rounds through my mini with zero failures.

The drilling aspect is something to consider. My first thought was that it would make it more sturdy, but I also heard the set up you have is basically bomb proof.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It is solid. But I also have a DAK-9 with a folding brace using a Fostech adapter. This is attached via a single bolt through the original sling mount hole. Basically the same as the cncwarrior system. It too feels very solid. Basically any of those mentioned in this thread will work well.

It's about now when someone chimes in about "just do a form 1 and add a stock". And that is cool, but my mini Draco with SB3 brace is equally comfortable to shoot as is my SBRd Bulgarian Krinkov. Both have 7.5" barrels but the Draco was half the cost and a tenth of the time to build/complete.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Based on what I am hearing, I think I’m moving forward with the Mini Draco.

The next question is, what flash hider? Is the Bulgarian 4 piece really worth the money?

Yes. AKOU did a video on flash suppression and muzzle devices. The bulgy 4 piece brake did the best at both killing the flash and making the boom tolerable for the shooter and the guy next to him. I don't remember the brand of the one on mine above but it is a similar concept. There are a series of holes facing forward which direct the blast. Not as well as a 4 piece but it in half the length.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The next question is, what flash hider? Is the Bulgarian 4 piece really worth the money?

Another vote for the Bulgarian here. I also have one on my AK pistol and it works very well. Also check out Legion USA they sell a Ukranian brand called Strela that is a tree piece design similar to the Bulgy. I have two of them an extended one on my VEPR .308 and one made specifically for short barreled ARs on my AR pistol. Both work at least as well as the Bulgarian.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    There's a video somewhere of a guy with some sort of short barrel AK pistol testing various muzzle devices at night. They all had a pretty large fireball except for the 4-piece Bulgy which miraculously had almost no flash even at night.

Edit: Found the video.

[video=youtube;qMumsBd13QI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMumsBd13QI[/video]

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    There's a video somewhere of a guy with some sort of short barrel AK pistol testing various muzzle devices at night. They all had a pretty large fireball except for the 4-piece Bulgy which miraculously had almost no flash even at night.

Edit: Found the video.

[video=youtube;qMumsBd13QI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMumsBd13QI[/video]

Well... That settles that as well.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I realize it's a terrible time to get in to the AK market. LGS has a century VSKA (?) with a 10.5 inch barrel. In terms of recoil and blast how obnoxious are these? I'm seriously considering having a nice backpack gun that integrates with my other AK stuff.

maceace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    NWI
    I realize it's a terrible time to get in to the AK market. LGS has a century VSKA (?) with a 10.5 inch barrel. In terms of recoil and blast how obnoxious are these? I'm seriously considering having a nice backpack gun that integrates with my other AK stuff.
    Stay away from anything that's from century arms and made in the usa, the vska rifles and pistols are considered junk in general...

If you want to buy a quality ak pistol, buy a com-block one whether a romanian draco or mini draco, a zastava m92 or m85, or a bulgarian sam7k...

The recoil on these is similar an ar, and with a brace they are almost as accurate as a regular ak...

Top Bottom