Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: FN 5.7

  1. #1
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    FN 5.7

    Is the FN 5.7 alive or dead? I remember when it first came out, lots of hype and now mostly nothing. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Plinker DadSmith's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by harmonyaudio View Post
    Is the FN 5.7 alive or dead? I remember when it first came out, lots of hype and now mostly nothing. Any ideas?
    I think the 22TCM is kind of taking it over. Cheaper to shoot, cheaper weapons platform, basically the same ballistics.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

  3. #3
    Master bcannon's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I traded for 1 about a yr ago and it didnt live up to the hype. Tried the ap ammo at point blank on 1/4" plate and 1 out of 10 penetrated. It is fast and flat shooting but lacks the barrel length for true ap. Sold it. Tried a friends Cmmg AR57 with a 8" barrel on the same plate with the same ammo with much better results, 8 out of 10 penetrated. 1 is on my wish list now. He also has a P90 that lived up to the hype but couldnt stand the crazy stock and grip.

  4. #4
    Turbo Areoflyer09's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    I think the 22TCM is kind of taking it over. Cheaper to shoot, cheaper weapons platform, basically the same ballistics.
    This would be a huge deal for the TCM if it were true, but my experience begs to differ.

    I truly enjoyed the round. It was very enjoyable. I had one of the double stack 1911s and the rifle. The first issue was reliability, that is the only centerfire gun that Iíve had multiple instances where the case stuck in the chamber. The second issue is the ammo, it was unpredictable in what you got in each box. This box would fun without issue and be accurate, the next would run but it wasnít accurate and the next wouldnít run or be accurate. It was a constant crapshoot on what you got. The last issue was with the rifle, it fed like crap from the 10rd magazine. Turns out that was a common issues. Pop the full size mag from the pistol in it and the rifle would run fine.

    I blame the issues on RIA and Armscor. Itís a neat concept but as long as they hold the patents it will never be more than a niche round. It was one of the most fun pistols Iíve shot, but as long as the option is Armscor ammo I wonít touch another one.



    On topicI would, and will, have a PS90 at some point. I donít love the pistol though, the shape and I donít agree. The 5.7 round is worth the cost because it works.
    ď...I blame TurboĒ -Everyone

  5. #5
    Grandmaster indykid's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    5.7x28 is alive and well but being so different you don't hear much about it.

    I have both the Five-seveN and the PS-90 and if I had to give up my firearms for legitimate reasons those would be among the last to go. While the PS-90 version of the great P90 has the strange but iconic stock, when you hold it correctly and shoulder it you find you have probably the best close quarters weapon ever made.

  6. #6
    Plinker DadSmith's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Areoflyer09 View Post
    This would be a huge deal for the TCM if it were true, but my experience begs to differ.

    I truly enjoyed the round. It was very enjoyable. I had one of the double stack 1911s and the rifle. The first issue was reliability, that is the only centerfire gun that Iíve had multiple instances where the case stuck in the chamber. The second issue is the ammo, it was unpredictable in what you got in each box. This box would fun without issue and be accurate, the next would run but it wasnít accurate and the next wouldnít run or be accurate. It was a constant crapshoot on what you got. The last issue was with the rifle, it fed like crap from the 10rd magazine. Turns out that was a common issues. Pop the full size mag from the pistol in it and the rifle would run fine.

    I blame the issues on RIA and Armscor. Itís a neat concept but as long as they hold the patents it will never be more than a niche round. It was one of the most fun pistols Iíve shot, but as long as the option is Armscor ammo I wonít touch another one.



    On topicI would, and will, have a PS90 at some point. I donít love the pistol though, the shape and I donít agree. The 5.7 round is worth the cost because it works.
    Why doesn't Ruger make a 5.7 pistol or PCC. FN holding it back as well?
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

  7. #7
    Turbo Areoflyer09's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    Why doesn't Ruger make a 5.7 pistol or PCC. FN holding it back as well?
    Why would they? What upside do they have to build new products around a caliber thatís expensive and limited market appeal. Odds are anything they built would cost near enough to the FNs that most people would just buy the FN product. They would be better off taking on Kel-Tec with their version of a 22 magnum pistol then trying to engineer their own version of 5.7.

    For FN products you have the 5.7 Pistol & PS90 (Civilian version of the P90). There is the AR57 upper, which Iím not sure is in production anymore. CMMG offers the Banshee in the 5.7, great option for someone who wants the feel of an AR. Masterpieces arms made a pistol, as did Excel. I donít know if there are other options out there.
    ď...I blame TurboĒ -Everyone

  8. #8
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Turbo and I talked about this briefly... My contribution was the 7.62x25 Tokarev. Not all that common anymore, but in it's time filled a similar niche of the small, fast "AP" pistol round.

    I've toyed with the idea of picking one up, but I tend to like old, antiquated things...

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    I used to sell the FiveSeven quite a bit. I think it still has a lot of appeal in certain niche markets, but in my experience, there aren't a lot of "serious" shooters looking for a 5.7 if that makes sense.

    Of course this is just my experience from a small sample size.

  10. #10
    Turbo Areoflyer09's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BrettonJudy7 View Post
    I used to sell the FiveSeven quite a bit. I think it still has a lot of appeal in certain niche markets, but in my experience, there aren't a lot of "serious" shooters looking for a 5.7 if that makes sense.

    Of course this is just my experience from a small sample size.
    It makes sense actually. Given it wasnít designed for competition, the typical buyer is going to be looking at it for a range toy or, less likely, defensive use.
    ď...I blame TurboĒ -Everyone

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge