• ...and so much more!
  • bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I traded for 1 about a yr ago and it didnt live up to the hype. Tried the ap ammo at point blank on 1/4" plate and 1 out of 10 penetrated. It is fast and flat shooting but lacks the barrel length for true ap. Sold it. Tried a friends Cmmg AR57 with a 8" barrel on the same plate with the same ammo with much better results, 8 out of 10 penetrated. 1 is on my wish list now. He also has a P90 that lived up to the hype but couldnt stand the crazy stock and grip.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think the 22TCM is kind of taking it over. Cheaper to shoot, cheaper weapons platform, basically the same ballistics.

This would be a huge deal for the TCM if it were true, but my experience begs to differ.

I truly enjoyed the round. It was very enjoyable. I had one of the double stack 1911s and the rifle. The first issue was reliability, that is the only centerfire gun that I’ve had multiple instances where the case stuck in the chamber. The second issue is the ammo, it was unpredictable in what you got in each box. This box would fun without issue and be accurate, the next would run but it wasn’t accurate and the next wouldn’t run or be accurate. It was a constant crapshoot on what you got. The last issue was with the rifle, it fed like crap from the 10rd magazine. Turns out that was a common issues. Pop the full size mag from the pistol in it and the rifle would run fine.

I blame the issues on RIA and Armscor. It’s a neat concept but as long as they hold the patents it will never be more than a niche round. It was one of the most fun pistols I’ve shot, but as long as the option is Armscor ammo I won’t touch another one.

On topicI would, and will, have a PS90 at some point. I don’t love the pistol though, the shape and I don’t agree. The 5.7 round is worth the cost because it works.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    5.7x28 is alive and well but being so different you don't hear much about it.

I have both the Five-seveN and the PS-90 and if I had to give up my firearms for legitimate reasons those would be among the last to go. While the PS-90 version of the great P90 has the strange but iconic stock, when you hold it correctly and shoulder it you find you have probably the best close quarters weapon ever made.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This would be a huge deal for the TCM if it were true, but my experience begs to differ.

I truly enjoyed the round. It was very enjoyable. I had one of the double stack 1911s and the rifle. The first issue was reliability, that is the only centerfire gun that I’ve had multiple instances where the case stuck in the chamber. The second issue is the ammo, it was unpredictable in what you got in each box. This box would fun without issue and be accurate, the next would run but it wasn’t accurate and the next wouldn’t run or be accurate. It was a constant crapshoot on what you got. The last issue was with the rifle, it fed like crap from the 10rd magazine. Turns out that was a common issues. Pop the full size mag from the pistol in it and the rifle would run fine.

I blame the issues on RIA and Armscor. It’s a neat concept but as long as they hold the patents it will never be more than a niche round. It was one of the most fun pistols I’ve shot, but as long as the option is Armscor ammo I won’t touch another one.

On topicI would, and will, have a PS90 at some point. I don’t love the pistol though, the shape and I don’t agree. The 5.7 round is worth the cost because it works.

Why doesn't Ruger make a 5.7 pistol or PCC. FN holding it back as well?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Why doesn't Ruger make a 5.7 pistol or PCC. FN holding it back as well?

Why would they? What upside do they have to build new products around a caliber that’s expensive and limited market appeal. Odds are anything they built would cost near enough to the FNs that most people would just buy the FN product. They would be better off taking on Kel-Tec with their version of a 22 magnum pistol then trying to engineer their own version of 5.7.

For FN products you have the 5.7 Pistol & PS90 (Civilian version of the P90). There is the AR57 upper, which I’m not sure is in production anymore. CMMG offers the Banshee in the 5.7, great option for someone who wants the feel of an AR. Masterpieces arms made a pistol, as did Excel. I don’t know if there are other options out there.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Turbo and I talked about this briefly... My contribution was the 7.62x25 Tokarev. Not all that common anymore, but in it's time filled a similar niche of the small, fast "AP" pistol round.

I've toyed with the idea of picking one up, but I tend to like old, antiquated things...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I used to sell the FiveSeven quite a bit. I think it still has a lot of appeal in certain niche markets, but in my experience, there aren't a lot of "serious" shooters looking for a 5.7 if that makes sense.

Of course this is just my experience from a small sample size.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I used to sell the FiveSeven quite a bit. I think it still has a lot of appeal in certain niche markets, but in my experience, there aren't a lot of "serious" shooters looking for a 5.7 if that makes sense.

Of course this is just my experience from a small sample size.

It makes sense actually. Given it wasn’t designed for competition, the typical buyer is going to be looking at it for a range toy or, less likely, defensive use.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    It makes sense actually. Given it wasn’t designed for competition, the typical buyer is going to be looking at it for a range toy or, less likely, defensive use.

On top of that, the range that I worked at didn't allow the 5.7 on the range as the backstop couldn't handle that velocity. (It could handle the velocity, but not an extended amount of shooting. So in order to preserve the backstop, shooting was limited to "pistol" calibers only).

So I wonder how many of the buyers would venture outside of Indianapolis to hit a rifle range to shoot it.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    On top of that, the range that I worked at didn't allow the 5.7 on the range as the backstop couldn't handle that velocity. (It could handle the velocity, but not an extended amount of shooting. So in order to preserve the backstop, shooting was limited to "pistol" calibers only).

So I wonder how many of the buyers would venture outside of Indianapolis to hit a rifle range to shoot it.

Highsmith?

There are some indoor ranges that will allow rifle rounds, but that’s the driving point for me with this round. I’d rather have it in the PS90 than the pistol.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Its my wife's house pistol. 21 rounds in the pistol and 5 additional 20 round mags loaded, another 100 rounds in boxes, Sure Fire light installed. All in a small gun bag ready to grab and head to her designated spot. Look up the Ft Hood shooting and I believe all people killed were center mass shots with 5.7 rounds.

I'm comfortable with her selection.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Turbo and I talked about this briefly... My contribution was the 7.62x25 Tokarev. Not all that common anymore, but in it's time filled a similar niche of the small, fast "AP" pistol round.

I've toyed with the idea of picking one up, but I tend to like old, antiquated things...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Check out the CZ52. Rumored to be stronger, roller locked, very simple to detail strip, usually a nice trigger, can run 9mm with naught but a barrel swap (alas they are nearly unobtainium). 7.62 tok is fun. flamethrower but very soft recoil.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I actually know a couple of guys that carry the 5.7.

I am considering one with 21 rounds and a extra 20 it’s a good amount of flat shooting controllable firepower the round appears to be very accurate.

Using SS198 ammo it seems to be effective like 21 really fast angry bees!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The 5.7 out of a pistol barrel is very comparable to a .22 magnum. In my opinion the 5.7 pistol is a waste of time and money, I do however own a PS 90.
    Launching the 5.7 out of a 16 inch barrel makes a world of difference in terminal ballistics than shooting it out of a 4 inch pistol barrel.

In fact the PS 90 makes a great HD weapon for people that are wheel chair bound or not physically strong.

I personally think the ballistics and expense of the 5.7 round is why interest in the 5.7 pistol is dying.
    You can now buy 9mm pistols that have 20 round mags. They are cheaper to shoot and train with, and have more terminal effectiveness, and the pistols are about the same size.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Highsmith?

There are some indoor ranges that will allow rifle rounds, but that’s the driving point for me with this round. I’d rather have it in the PS90 than the pistol.

I was working at Indy Bunker for a short time as I am friends with the owner, and was in need of a job.

That's it though. The expense of the gun, and expense to shoot it are just too high. You cant readily practice with it anywhere, unless you shoot on your property or at a rifle range, but there aren't too many of those around central Indiana.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was working at Indy Bunker for a short time as I am friends with the owner, and was in need of a job.

That's it though. The expense of the gun, and expense to shoot it are just too high. You cant readily practice with it anywhere, unless you shoot on your property or at a rifle range, but there aren't too many of those around central Indiana.

Highsmith was a guess based on your location. Nice shop, but they limit the calibers on their range.

There are several indoor ranges around Indy that allow rifles. Indy Arms on the eastern edge, Point Blank to the North and South, Parabellum, I think does, on the west side. There are probably others as well. There are also have several outdoor that can be joined that would allow. If you are in Greenfield, Fall Creek Conservation Club isn’t a bad drive.

5.7 ammo is, relatively, expensive though. That part is undeniable.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Highsmith was a guess based on your location. Nice shop, but they limit the calibers on their range.

There are several indoor ranges around Indy that allow rifles. Indy Arms on the eastern edge, Point Blank to the North and South, Parabellum, I think does, on the west side. There are probably others as well. There are also have several outdoor that can be joined that would allow. If you are in Greenfield, Fall Creek Conservation Club isn’t a bad drive.

5.7 ammo is, relatively, expensive though. That part is undeniable.

I've frequented Tims in Westfield. I actually live closer to Fall Creek now. Fort Ben area. I'll check out Fall Creek Conservation.

I would consider a 5.7 if there were more guns in that caliber. HK was going to make a handgun equivalent to the MP7 similar to FN with the P90 and FiveSeven, but they abandoned it. Maybe they saw the limited success of the 5.7 and thought it best not to risk it.

Top Bottom