Anyone have a Shield 2.0 9mm and hate it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Curious as to the consensus on the Shield 2.0 in 9mm.

I think I've only held one in a shop - and that was when they were first out. I've certainly never shot one.

Have one and hate it?

Love it more than the 1.0?

Hate it and wish you'd have gone with a 1.0?

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    Well, I have a M&P Shield 1.0 9 mm. I don't hate it but I hardly love it. Hard to say if I would have liked the 2.0 better as I have never shot one.

As for the Shield 1.0 trigger, I would rate it somewhere between mediocre and poor. The recoil spring is stiff enough that it is a little difficult for me to rack the slide sufficiently rearward to engage the slide catch. The slide catch is crude in design and will not release the slide with all the pressure I can put on it with one hand. My hands are a bit on the large size. The front of the narrow grip feels a bit like I am trying to grasp a dull axe head.

I will be interested to find whether those who have owned both the 1.0 and 2.0 Shield feel that the 2.0 was noticeably better regarding any of these issues.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I currently own the 1.0 and I can say that I agree with the above statement on the trigger. ^^

I've never been too fond of the trigger in the Shield, and I've also felt like the gun sits a little too high in my hand. I replace carrying the shield with a Walther PPS M2. I think the Walther has better sites, and better trigger. Shield is a decent gun, especially for the price point.

I do also own an M&P 9C 2.0 and I enjoy it. Dimensionly, it's almost identical size as a Glock 19. Trigger is 'okay'. I don't think it's anything special, but I haven't had any issues with it. I've been accurate with it. So I have experience with both the 2.0 line, and the Shield line, but not the Shield 2.0...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love it, and it is more accurate than the 1.0 that was my favorite 9mm CC for months (an eternity for me :laugh:).
    I had to try the 2.0 out when I had a chance to buy one for $325 (I think).
    I just wish it would have had better capacity, the 10, 12 & 13 round magazines spoil you on some of the small guns.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    OP, if you're looking at a 1.0 version on the cheap, then buy the one without the external thumb safety. Their triggers seem to be a little more crisp. I have a 1.0 non thumb safety model and while the trigger is on the heavier side(probably about 7-8#), it hits a significant wall on the takeup and breaks extremely crisp. I would consider it an excellent defense trigger. I've had no malfunctions with mine. I've put about 500 rds through mine and ankle carry it almost daily.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    From what I've read, if you already have a 1.0 then it's really not worth upgrading to the 2.0. Unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy another gun, which I do.. frequently.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Have a 1.0 that I carried for a couple of years. When the 2.0 came out, I fondled it in the LGS and rented it at the range, but didn't care for it. The trigger is a bit better than the original, but I really don't like the grip texture on the 2.0 series of pistols. It was a bit more accurate as well, probably due to the slightly nicer trigger. Decided single stack guns weren't for me and my 1.0 sits in the gun safe now while I carry my CZ P10C with an extended mag every day.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Have a 1.0 that I carried for a couple of years. When the 2.0 came out, I fondled it in the LGS and rented it at the range, but didn't care for it. The trigger is a bit better than the original, but I really don't like the grip texture on the 2.0 series of pistols. It was a bit more accurate as well, probably due to the slightly nicer trigger. Decided single stack guns weren't for me and my 1.0 sits in the gun safe now while I carry my CZ P10C with an extended mag every day.

I somewhat agree with the statement about the grip. While I enjoy the rougher texture in my hand, I don't like it at all when carrying it in a holster that rubs against my skin.
    I think the grip does a great job of keeping the gun stable in my hand, granted it's a 9mm and the recoil isn't bad anyways, but when I carry, the grip often rubs against my skin. I can honestly say that this is very irritating.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a 2.0 that I got for a smoking price some time back. Shot it a few times, bought some mags, intended to make it my subcompact carry over my Glock 43, but then (before I put night sights on the Shield) I picked up a P365 and that's been my subcompact carry ever since. I keep the 2.0 Shield as my son seems to like it and shoots it when he is home on college breaks, etc.

It's a good gun, and I found mine for an excellent price. Unless I had a bunch of mags for a Shield, and just wanted some redundancy, or needed to stay on a really tight budget, I'd go for a P365.

I also have some M&P 2.0 Compacts and they have taken the place of my other "compact" carry guns. The texture on these or the Shield doesn't really bother me for IWB carry, but I can see how it might be a problem for some. Definitely like the texture of the grip when the gun is in hand.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Holding a Shield 2.0 in the shop I thought I would hate it. But they had one for rent (Applied Ballistics, Lafayette), and I really enjoyed shooting it. Best accuracy I've ever had. I have since bought one, it really fits well and shoots well.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a 1.0 9mm Shield with a 7 round magazine I carried as my pocket pistol for a few years.
    I like it fine, and never tried a 2.0.
    Switched to a Sig P365 with a 12 round magazine as my pocket pistol.
    The dimensions are nearly identical, and the P365 with 12 round magazine only weighs a few grams more than the 7 round magazine Shield.
    It made no logical sense to me to keep carrying the Shield with 5 less shot capacity.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a 1.0 that I've grown tired of...

I have a 2.0 FS that I quite enjoy. I do like the grip texture. I'm able to shoot the 2.0 FS better than my 1.0 FS.

Kind of hoping someone would say "I hate the 2.0 and would much rather have a 1.0" so I could trade them. :lmfao:

n9tkf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2018
    Just before the earth ends.
    Didn't like the grip texture when test firing the 2.0. My wife bought a 2.0 and put a green laser on it. She really likes the 2.0 trigger and the grip texture is a non issue fo her. It shoots accurately though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom