• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    Hey everyone, just wondering if any of you guys have experience with the HK P30 or P30L. I've read a lot of good things, but just thought I'd ask you guys. I'm looking into getting a new handgun soon and this is one of the contenders. Thanks.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I carry a P30sk pretty often. I have a P30 also. It shoots really nice but seems a bit big to carry for the rounds on board.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    My $0.02:

I have a P30. Great pistol. Very reliable and durable. Ergos are the best IMHO. I will probably have this one the rest of my days.

The only negative is the trigger. BUT, I believe this gun was produced as a duty/GTW/Personal Defense pistol... NOT as a target pistol. We now have multiple options for pistols with fairly light triggers.

If a light trigger is what you are after, then you may want to look somewhere else. If you want an reliable and durable pistol that's easy to clean and maintain, then this may be the pistol for you.

Oops, one more thing, the "night sights" aren't typical. I swapped my for trijicons.

Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the replies gents. My next gun isnt gonna be a carry one. I'm looking for a good range gun for classes and what not. I have a glock 19 that I use for carry and I know I could use it for classes too, but I'd just like to have something different too. Plus, I'm left handed and I like the thought of an ambidextrous handgun. Thanks again.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When you try the decocker at first, you will wonder if it is safe to use on a live round :runaway:
    it comes down hard.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    My $0.02:

I have a P30. Great pistol. Very reliable and durable. Ergos are the best IMHO. I will probably have this one the rest of my days.

The only negative is the trigger. BUT, I believe this gun was produced as a duty/GTW/Personal Defense pistol... NOT as a target pistol. We now have multiple options for pistols with fairly light triggers.

If a light trigger is what you are after, then you may want to look somewhere else. If you want an reliable and durable pistol that's easy to clean and maintain, then this may be the pistol for you.

Oops, one more thing, the "night sights" aren't typical. I swapped my for trijicons.

When you try the decocker at first, you will wonder if it is safe to use on a live round :runaway:
    it comes down hard.

Can confirm all of the above.
    -fantastic ergonomics! swappable backstrap and sides if whatever's loaded when you get it doesn't suit. Get it set up right and you won't need sights!
    -Trigger has a lot of take up but is crisp at the wall. neither DA or SA is overly heavy nor too light. mine, at least, is quite smooth. It's a duty trigger, not a bullseye trigger. That being said, I've scared myself thinking the sights shifted and I put 3 off the paper with two holes for 5 shots starting DA at ~15 yds.
    -HK build... it's a 10mm loaded for 9. The 40 is the same external size and people convert those to shoot 10. You could build a shed using it as a hammer, leave it out in the rain a few days, drive over it with your truck, and it'll still run.
    -Yes, the decocker DROPS the hammer to the catch. A bit disconcerting but I only remember reading one story of the safety failing (years ago after much much use.
    -you will wear out before it does: pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » P30 Thursday: Week Forty-Two

There are a number of triggers available from the factory, SAO, DA/SA, DAO, LEM (SAO and DAO are very rare) and different weights. With safety and without (not always available with all triggers). Most commonly you'll find the DA/SA with safety, DA/SA with decocker, or (rarely) LEM.

Get the LEM trigger! LEM is like a DAO but the hammer spring is cocked. gives you a long light pull (to cock the hammer minus having to compress the spring) but you can short-stroke releasing the trigger to the SA reset. If you have a hard primer, you can DA it like a SA/DA. If you release all the way between shots, it goes back to the long-light pull. Safety and short SA 2nd+ pull of hammer-down DA/SA without the heavy DA first pull (just long).

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I am my 2nd HK now. The first, a USP 40 was a great gun but I didn't like the round. Loved the LEM trigger. Won't own another HK hammer gun without it.
    I am also looking for the 30 or P2000.

Money, as always, is an issue.

Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the information guys. I've been looking at the Sig p320 and HK p30L back and forth for a while. I think I'm leaning more towards the HK though. Everywhere I'm trying to look for it though, they're out of stock. does anyone know of anywhere that has them? I'm in the Bloomington area but would be willing to drive a little bit to try and find one I could test shoot.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Thanks for the information guys. I've been looking at the Sig p320 and HK p30L back and forth for a while. I think I'm leaning more towards the HK though. Everywhere I'm trying to look for it though, they're out of stock. does anyone know of anywhere that has them? I'm in the Bloomington area but would be willing to drive a little bit to try and find one I could test shoot.

To try it: do you know Hoosier Hills Rifle & Pistol Club in Columbus (Range is in Gnaw Bone)? If you don't mind a P30 v3 and P30SK LEM (But no L), maybe we can meet there sometime and you can try them. No I'm not looking to sell.

As for finding one, I'm noticing more and more that with all the different options these days, LGSs don't stock most things. They offer a few things likely to move off the shelf, a few things to ogle, and they order the rest because they can't afford to sit on the inventory. Either order one, watch the classifieds or armslist or go to the next 1500. there are always at least a dozen used or new of various types there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Very different guns with the Sig being striker fired and the HK, hammer fired. The VP9 would be a more comparable HK model to the P320.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have the P30 in light LEM, & love it, most definitely a keeper! Great ergonomics, has fired anything I’ve fed it, as accurate as I can make it, 0-complaints.

Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    Very different guns with the Sig being striker fired and the HK, hammer fired. The VP9 would be a more comparable HK model to the P320.

I understand they're different. That's why I'm asking for others inputs. All I have is striker fired so it doesnt matter to me if its striker or DA/SA or lem. I'm just looking for a new gun to take to courses. I'd like a full size and that's really the only thing I really need out of it. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the VP9s. I dunno what it is, but I like the p30's a lot more.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have had a P30S for awhile now and it's a nice shooting gun. I have the traditional DA/SA with safety as I like the fact you can cock/lock it if you want to. The DA pull is pretty stiff in these, I put in a reduced power mainspring and a match sear spring from HKparts and it made a big difference to me. I am still debating on the short reset parts from grayguns but I will probably add that as well. I know right now Classic firearms online has the gray frame version like mine for 499.00.

Top Bottom