Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HK P30/P30L

Plinker

User Info Menu

HK P30/P30L

Hey everyone, just wondering if any of you guys have experience with the HK P30 or P30L. I've read a lot of good things, but just thought I'd ask you guys. I'm looking into getting a new handgun soon and this is one of the contenders. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Haven't shot one yet BUT BUT BUT... I had one in my hand and sights fell into place like it was sewn to my arm. Great ergonomics. (L)
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

User Info Menu

I carry a P30sk pretty often. I have a P30 also. It shoots really nice but seems a bit big to carry for the rounds on board.

User Info Menu

My $0.02:

I have a P30. Great pistol. Very reliable and durable. Ergos are the best IMHO. I will probably have this one the rest of my days.

The only negative is the trigger. BUT, I believe this gun was produced as a duty/GTW/Personal Defense pistol... NOT as a target pistol. We now have multiple options for pistols with fairly light triggers.

If a light trigger is what you are after, then you may want to look somewhere else. If you want an reliable and durable pistol that's easy to clean and maintain, then this may be the pistol for you.

Oops, one more thing, the "night sights" aren't typical. I swapped my for trijicons.
    The Schofield Kid: Well, I guess they had it... comin'.
    Will Munny: We all got it comin', Kid.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies gents. My next gun isnt gonna be a carry one. I'm looking for a good range gun for classes and what not. I have a glock 19 that I use for carry and I know I could use it for classes too, but I'd just like to have something different too. Plus, I'm left handed and I like the thought of an ambidextrous handgun. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

I really like the mag releases on HK's (paddle integrated into trigger guard)!
    The Schofield Kid: Well, I guess they had it... comin'.
    Will Munny: We all got it comin', Kid.

User Info Menu

When you try the decocker at first, you will wonder if it is safe to use on a live round
    it comes down hard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmamath13 View Post
    My $0.02:

I have a P30. Great pistol. Very reliable and durable. Ergos are the best IMHO. I will probably have this one the rest of my days.

The only negative is the trigger. BUT, I believe this gun was produced as a duty/GTW/Personal Defense pistol... NOT as a target pistol. We now have multiple options for pistols with fairly light triggers.

If a light trigger is what you are after, then you may want to look somewhere else. If you want an reliable and durable pistol that's easy to clean and maintain, then this may be the pistol for you.

Oops, one more thing, the "night sights" aren't typical. I swapped my for trijicons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    When you try the decocker at first, you will wonder if it is safe to use on a live round
    it comes down hard.
    Can confirm all of the above.
    -fantastic ergonomics! swappable backstrap and sides if whatever's loaded when you get it doesn't suit. Get it set up right and you won't need sights!
    -Trigger has a lot of take up but is crisp at the wall. neither DA or SA is overly heavy nor too light. mine, at least, is quite smooth. It's a duty trigger, not a bullseye trigger. That being said, I've scared myself thinking the sights shifted and I put 3 off the paper with two holes for 5 shots starting DA at ~15 yds.
    -HK build... it's a 10mm loaded for 9. The 40 is the same external size and people convert those to shoot 10. You could build a shed using it as a hammer, leave it out in the rain a few days, drive over it with your truck, and it'll still run.
    -Yes, the decocker DROPS the hammer to the catch. A bit disconcerting but I only remember reading one story of the safety failing (years ago after much much use.
    -you will wear out before it does: pistol-training.com Blog Archive P30 Thursday: Week Forty-Two

There are a number of triggers available from the factory, SAO, DA/SA, DAO, LEM (SAO and DAO are very rare) and different weights. With safety and without (not always available with all triggers). Most commonly you'll find the DA/SA with safety, DA/SA with decocker, or (rarely) LEM.

Get the LEM trigger! LEM is like a DAO but the hammer spring is cocked. gives you a long light pull (to cock the hammer minus having to compress the spring) but you can short-stroke releasing the trigger to the SA reset. If you have a hard primer, you can DA it like a SA/DA. If you release all the way between shots, it goes back to the long-light pull. Safety and short SA 2nd+ pull of hammer-down DA/SA without the heavy DA first pull (just long).

User Info Menu

I am my 2nd HK now. The first, a USP 40 was a great gun but I didn't like the round. Loved the LEM trigger. Won't own another HK hammer gun without it.
    I am also looking for the 30 or P2000.

Money, as always, is an issue.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks for the information guys. I've been looking at the Sig p320 and HK p30L back and forth for a while. I think I'm leaning more towards the HK though. Everywhere I'm trying to look for it though, they're out of stock. does anyone know of anywhere that has them? I'm in the Bloomington area but would be willing to drive a little bit to try and find one I could test shoot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast