• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I picked up a second year of production 1907 at the LGS the other day. Just missed being a metal grip gun by a few hundred.

It is a .32acp but I have been getting a few of those lately.

For those not familiar with them, their claim to fame is it is the first double stack magazine.

It looks like it was in the sock drawer more than it was shot or carried. All the internals look new except where the recoil spring discolored the barrel. Neither are rusted but they sat unmoved for so long you can see the outline of the spring.

A 10+1 pocket pistol before people were driving in cars. Interesting old gun...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I nhave one of the third edition I believe.
    Plastic or Bakelite grips.
    Mine has a broken grip, but otherwise is a fun little pocket popper.

I like the diminutive little .32acp. I have a half dozen or so of them.
    Anemic, yes, but I like it anyway.
    It's a great round to start new shooters on after they graduate from .22lr.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Cracked or missing grips is the norm it seems.

I have the .32 "Unique", a Remington 51 and the Savage. They are all good shooters but it does take a while to find the microscopic sights...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    These are wonderful pocket pistols from a great era of pocket pistols. Glad to see other folks have them and enjoy shooting them.:)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My research shows that Savage sent around 800 samples of the .45 to the army for testing and consideration.

After the testing was over the army sent 181 of them back to Savage which resold them on the commercial market.

I doubt I will ever get to hold one...

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    My research shows that Savage sent around 800 samples of the .45 to the army for testing and consideration.

After the testing was over the army sent 181 of them back to Savage which resold them on the commercial market.

I doubt I will ever get to hold one...

We should get around sometime. After putting a magazine through one, you will like the 1911 just fine..

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The .32 is very manageable even for being a .32 acp. Is the .45 that much different?

Don't get me wrong, I love the 1911's but i guess that big hunk of slide is serving a different purpose than beauty...

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Yes, In a word the 45 is horrible. It is the sharpest recoiling handgun I have shot in a long while. The only thing I can relate it to is full house loads in a 329pd 44 mag.
    I believe it was one thing that led to it's not being adopted, after a few hundred rounds shot they had a lot of parts breakage. It just beat itself to death..

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I had to order new grips for the old girl that should be here this week. Will try to get a pick posted as soon as possible.

I don't think there is a more simple disassembling pistol out there but lots of places to get dirt out of once apart.

Top Bottom